Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.1

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

No offer, but decided to decline anyway even if made an offer. Heres why:
    Disorganized. Inability to make decisions. Fails to keep candidates updated on status. Acknowledged morale in in the toilet. These are big turn-offs. All of the negative reviews about this place should have been a sign but its good to practice your interviewing skills. Initial phone interview, then asked to go for on-site in NYC, to be changed to on-site in NJ. After the NJ interview, told it would be follow up phone interview, then told another on-site but with a different person, then that changed to on-site with 2 people. 2 weeks pass - told no update. Then, they just ignore your emails. The time from interview to being told of their decision was more than 2 months. If their indecisiveness in the hiring process is any indication of their business model, this would explain why their products (maybe except for WSJ), are not taken seriously and can't compete in the marketplace. Multiple thumbs down.

Interview Questions

• None - had more experience than most of the interviewers.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Simple Phone interview and then on site interview at NY

Interview Questions

• Random question about anything they want to ask. I was asked about C++ and python even though i was interviewing for Java developer.   Answer Question

Better offer and better work place

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

The in-person interviewer who was the hiring manager was very professional and personable, and provided a good picture of the position and asked good questions relating to my experience, etc. The process was comfortable and the general tone of the interview was conversational. The offices were very impressive. Overall a good experience and I left with a positive impression of the company and people.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

A phone interview was followed by an interview at the beautiful NYC office. It was relaxed, and took place with only one interviewer - the head of department. It lasted around 20 minutes and I was told of my success the same day.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled a challenging customer interaction in the past? How would you change what you did now, looking back on it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I don't think this starting position is negotiable.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (San Francisco, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

Initial phone screening, then onsite interview where you will meet briefly one on one and two to three managers, there is also a skills test consisting of a writing sample and a test simulation for the work you are expected to perform.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you demonstrated teamwork skills   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

Simple. Met 3 times. Once with SVP Finance in NYc, once with Pres of business I'd be supporting in NYC and again wit SVP Finance in New Jersey so I could see the team at HQ. had an offer shortly thereafter. No time wasted, no extra layers, no BS.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Simple, "we feel its a fit, let's move forward." Threw some numbers out there, I came back with some small requests, we agreed moved ahead. Background process took a few days. All in all, offer to start date was 3 weeks.

Staff Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

The selection process began with an informal discussion with the India Editor. I was asked about my previous employment and the reasons why I was keen on joining Dow Jones Newswires. He also asked me questions why would I prefer to join a newswire as it is very technical and based on templates. There were also personal questions on family background and future aspirations. This was followed by a three-hour long written test. The test was designed to test my basic math, news judgement, editing and writing also ethics. The news judgment section included headlines and I was asked to state how would the news headlines affect the market. The headlines included the death of the US Fed Chairman , A terror attack etc. The writing and editing questions were technical with conflicting statements and data. I was supposed to edit it and also leave notes for the reporter. The ethics section had questions on my sourcing abilities and would I rely on market rumours to report or flash a headline. The final stage was an offer letter which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was why do i chose to apply for a newswire. Most of the people join journalism as they find they have a knack of writing and storytelling. A newswire, unlike other media streams, relies on preparing in advance, making templates for a faster turnaround of stories. I found the question unexpected. If I were to be asked why Dow Jones Newswires, it would be an easy standard reply but the reason for joining a newswire was tough. I was thinking on my feet and replied that a newswire apart from a better paying job also has a stress on subject knowledge and precision. As a journalist, it would not only help me get a deeper insight in the subject, but I would be a better skilled professional.   Answer Question

National Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (San Francisco, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

Phone Call by a sales manager and then a follow up interview with sales director

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Straight forward no real room for negotiating

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

Took many months of calling and pestering.

Negotiation

None. Offer was take it or leave it.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ) in May 2008.

Interview

friendly hr staff. met in princeton nj. HR was very nice. Off ice is big and a bit intimidating. Went through 5 interviews in a row. Was asked about past experience and goals. if travel to NY was ok. pretty standard stuff.

was brought back 2 more times to meet more senior mgmt. They check references and mine were unavailable for a few weeks which slowed my offer down

Interview Questions

• Was asked about project management - waterfall vs. agile (they do both)   1 Answer