Dow Jones Interview Questions

3.1

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Took many months of calling and pestering.

None. Offer was take it or leave it.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in May 2008.

friendly hr staff. met in princeton nj. HR was very nice. Off ice is big and a bit intimidating. Went through 5 interviews in a row. Was asked about past experience and goals. if travel to NY was ok. pretty standard stuff.

was brought back 2 more times to meet more senior mgmt. They check references and mine were unavailable for a few weeks which slowed my offer down

Interview Questions
    • Was asked about project management - waterfall vs. agile (they do both)   View Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Applied online through my university's career website and a recruiter reached out to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly standard.. why am I interested in Dow Jones, what do I know about Dow Jones, why sales (relationship manager position), etc. The recruiter seemed unenthusiastic and slightly bored with me and the conversation lasted less than 15 minutes so I was surprised when I found out I made it to the next round. The next round was a video interview (Hirevue) with about 20 questions and 3 minutes to answer each question. I didn't have much time to prepare for it and it was nerve-racking because this was my first "virtual" interview. I haven't received any feedback from Dow Jones since then despite my attempts to reach the recruiter so I just assumed that I didn't make the cut. The phone/video interview was still a fairly long process. . took about 6 weeks overall.

Interview Questions
    • The questions in the virtual interview were very "sales-oriented" (eg: are you a hunter or a farmer?)   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2012.

Found the company to be an open atmosphere. Interviewers were relaxed and very nice.

Interview Questions
    • How would you meet the needs of different executives at the same time?   Answer Question

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in May 2012.

The HR group seems be fairly well run. They were not perfect but generally speaking they did return calls and were good about getting information to you for your interview. Everyone was also very professional and you did get a sense that people did work well together from what I could see which is a plus. The interviewing manager was courteous too and asked pertinent questions to the job position and asked about my personal situation without seeming to pry for the wrong reasons.

Interview Questions
    • How I would feel about working long hours. I do feel in some ways that is expected especially for a new employee trying to prove himself but I do get a sense that the new CEO is expecting a lot from everyone good, bad or indifferent. FYI, the job I was applying for wasn't the type you would expect to have to work extremely long hours for but I got the feeling that it would be expected because the new management wanted it that way.   Answer Question

I had another company that I was a little more interested in plus I did see that Dow Jones was getting a lot of bad reviews by current and former employees on this site. Lastly, I felt that I could do better in the salary department. Dow Jones was paying what was in my opinion a little below market rate even for this current economy.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in January 2013.

The interview process started out with an initial phone call to set up a time for a interview. They were courteous and willing to work with you. If you get past the first phone interview then you move on to the second. The second interview is very standard and is similar to the first. The y ask the basic questions, so there are no tricks. After making past all two phone interview, the next process is meeting someone one-on-one. Now, the hiring manager who interviewed me was less prepared than any interview I've been on. There was the regular questions, but this hiring manager didn't seem interested. They didn't have a resume ready nor were they taking notes. It made you feel as if that hiring manager was most interested in what was around the office than what you were saying. The overall phone interviews went well, but meeting the hiring manager 1:1 was an unappealing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions: Why do you want to work for the Dow Jones? Tell me about yourself. Why should we pick you over the other candidates.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2009.

Had to pass a skills test. Interview was straight forward.

Interview Questions
    No, I accepted the initial offer.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in May 2009.

Not bad. FAir questions. MAny reviewers though

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2010.

phone interview, followed by a 1:1 interview

reasonable

Product Strategy and Design Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in June 2010.

The actual interview process was easy. I didn't talk to a lot of people in the group, which was a bit disconcerting. The biggest issue was that it took them a LONG time to get back to me (to the point that I discounted them as being interested in me). It turns out that HR was switching systems and took forever to push me through the process, almost losing me as an applicant in the process. I think that's resolved since then.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really questions, we just chatted   View Answer
    Again, because of the length of time that HR took, it was difficult. I feel a bit shortchanged because of it.