www.dj.com

Updated Dec 7, 2014

3.1

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Simple. Met 3 times. Once with SVP Finance in NYc, once with Pres of business I'd be supporting in NYC and again wit SVP Finance in New Jersey so I could see the team at HQ. had an offer shortly thereafter. No time wasted, no extra layers, no BS.

Interview Questions
    Simple, "we feel its a fit, let's move forward." Threw some numbers out there, I came back with some small requests, we agreed moved ahead. Background process took a few days. All in all, offer to start date was 3 weeks.

Staff Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones.

The selection process began with an informal discussion with the India Editor. I was asked about my previous employment and the reasons why I was keen on joining Dow Jones Newswires. He also asked me questions why would I prefer to join a newswire as it is very technical and based on templates. There were also personal questions on family background and future aspirations. This was followed by a three-hour long written test. The test was designed to test my basic math, news judgement, editing and writing also ethics. The news judgment section included headlines and I was asked to state how would the news headlines affect the market. The headlines included the death of the US Fed Chairman , A terror attack etc. The writing and editing questions were technical with conflicting statements and data. I was supposed to edit it and also leave notes for the reporter. The ethics section had questions on my sourcing abilities and would I rely on market rumours to report or flash a headline. The final stage was an offer letter which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was why do i chose to apply for a newswire. Most of the people join journalism as they find they have a knack of writing and storytelling. A newswire, unlike other media streams, relies on preparing in advance, making templates for a faster turnaround of stories. I found the question unexpected. If I were to be asked why Dow Jones Newswires, it would be an easy standard reply but the reason for joining a newswire was tough. I was thinking on my feet and replied that a newswire apart from a better paying job also has a stress on subject knowledge and precision. As a journalist, it would not only help me get a deeper insight in the subject, but I would be a better skilled professional.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in November 2009.

I had an initial phone interview with the group director to generally talk about my background and give me more information on the job. Then I was called for an in person interview in the same week, which consisted of 4 back to back interviews. I was asked resume based questions and very few behavioral questions and also some finance questions on valuation.

Interview Questions
    • Go through the calculation of the WACC explaining to me what each element in your calculation is.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a process you implemented to change something.   Answer Question

IT Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in April 2010.

Phone interview, HR interview, IT area interview

Index Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2009.

I interviewed first with HR and then i had one on one interviews with 3 different managers.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in May 2009.

Not bad. FAir questions. MAny reviewers though

Product Strategy and Design Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in June 2010.

The actual interview process was easy. I didn't talk to a lot of people in the group, which was a bit disconcerting. The biggest issue was that it took them a LONG time to get back to me (to the point that I discounted them as being interested in me). It turns out that HR was switching systems and took forever to push me through the process, almost losing me as an applicant in the process. I think that's resolved since then.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really questions, we just chatted   View Answer
    Again, because of the length of time that HR took, it was difficult. I feel a bit shortchanged because of it.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in February 2009.

Initial phone screening, then onsite interview where you will meet briefly one on one and two to three managers, there is also a skills test consisting of a writing sample and a test simulation for the work you are expected to perform.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you demonstrated teamwork skills   Answer Question
    none

National Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2008.

Phone Call by a sales manager and then a follow up interview with sales director

Interview Questions
    Straight forward no real room for negotiating

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in February 2010.

I learned about the position through a business contact and had an opportunity to speak with the hiring manager over the phone and learn more about the role. Two weeks later, I was invited for an in-person interview with HR and two peers from the team, each interview was 1:1.
    - HR: very informal, let me ask all the questions. Spoke a lot about the company culture and how it still has a small company feel to it
    - Peers: both interviews were around what I have done at previous jobs that was relevant for the position and some strategic thinking around trends in the industry and where I see the best opportunities in the future.

Did not get to round 2; they hired somebody who had previously worked at DJ

Interview Questions
    • Have you worked on structuring deals in your previous jobs   Answer Question