Dow Jones Interview Questions & Reviews

61 interviews

3.1

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in January 2013.

The interview process started out with an initial phone call to set up a time for a interview. They were courteous and willing to work with you. If you get past the first phone interview then you move on to the second. The second interview is very standard and is similar to the first. The y ask the basic questions, so there are no tricks. After making past all two phone interview, the next process is meeting someone one-on-one. Now, the hiring manager who interviewed me was less prepared than any interview I've been on. There was the regular questions, but this hiring manager didn't seem interested. They didn't have a resume ready nor were they taking notes. It made you feel as if that hiring manager was most interested in what was around the office than what you were saying. The overall phone interviews went well, but meeting the hiring manager 1:1 was an unappealing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions: Why do you want to work for the Dow Jones? Tell me about yourself. Why should we pick you over the other candidates.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in April 2009.

Had an intial phone screeing interview with an HR person who called me 30 mins. late. Got passed this interview only to have another phone interview with a hiring manager who was on a lousy speaker phone. The hiring manager was goofy and seemed to ask questions from a pre-written list. He seemed to be looking for specific online experience which I did not have. Did not get any farther.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? Is the commute a problem?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any online application or social media experience?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in November 2009.

I had an initial phone interview with the group director to generally talk about my background and give me more information on the job. Then I was called for an in person interview in the same week, which consisted of 4 back to back interviews. I was asked resume based questions and very few behavioral questions and also some finance questions on valuation.

Interview Questions
    • Go through the calculation of the WACC explaining to me what each element in your calculation is.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a process you implemented to change something.   Answer Question

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2010.

I learned about the position through a business contact and had an opportunity to speak with the hiring manager over the phone and learn more about the role. Two weeks later, I was invited for an in-person interview with HR and two peers from the team, each interview was 1:1.
    - HR: very informal, let me ask all the questions. Spoke a lot about the company culture and how it still has a small company feel to it
    - Peers: both interviews were around what I have done at previous jobs that was relevant for the position and some strategic thinking around trends in the industry and where I see the best opportunities in the future.

Did not get to round 2; they hired somebody who had previously worked at DJ

Interview Questions
    • Have you worked on structuring deals in your previous jobs   Answer Question

IT Director Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in April 2010.

Phone interview, HR interview, IT area interview

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

The in-person interviewer who was the hiring manager was very professional and personable, and provided a good picture of the position and asked good questions relating to my experience, etc. The process was comfortable and the general tone of the interview was conversational. The offices were very impressive. Overall a good experience and I left with a positive impression of the company and people.

Customer Value Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Dow Jones in August 2009.

Initial interview was by phone. Took about 45 minutes. Detailed questions made by personable interviewer whose job it was to screen the first group of prospects who had either been referred by a current employee or had applied online through the company's career site. Second interview was by phone with the hiring manager. Very professional and polished demeanor. She had a much better idea of what the job would actually entail on a day-to-day basis than did the initial screener and in-house recruiter. Job was actually much different than what the company web site had described. Each interviewer allowed me to connect with them via LinkedIn, thus I had a much better idea of their backgrounds and career progression before we had our in-depth conversations. This was quite helpful in the process to assess the quality of Dow Jones employees and their usage of social media in a professional setting. People who work there seem very smart and driven. The economic downturn coupled with the downward slide of the publishing industry have made Dow Jones an even more competitive place to work. The third interview was an in-person interview where the hiring manager flew into town to spend an hour with each candidate during a two-day screening process. The next round of interviews for the finalists consisted of an online presentation made by the candidates to the hiring manager and another person at the vice president level. The company took three weeks after my last interview to contact me by email about my ultimate status in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail your most notable accomplishment when you were able to persuade a reluctant co-worker to change his/her mind about a business objective. How did you achieve this?   Answer Question

Technology Showcase Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

2013.10.24 Online Application
    2013.10.28 Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue
    2013.10.30 Digital Interview (50 minutes) with the following quesitons

1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)
    2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)
    3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
    Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
    The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
    The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
    Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.
    Sample inputs & outputs:
              Input:9, Output:F#
              Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
              Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
    ***You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.
    4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2009.

First, I got on the phone with then General Manager and he described the project. Then, I met with him and the Director (separately) in person the next day. The day after that, I came in and met with two more team members. Then, the GM asked me back the next day and made me an offer. It all happened very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • They presented me with some of the current problems they were facing with the project and asked me to come up with some possible solutions on the spot.   Answer Question
    Yes. Negotiations were tough. There was pressure to act fast because they wanted me to start right away.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2008.

There were 2 rounds of Interview.

Interview Questions
    Yes I was able to negotiate