Dow Jones Interview Questions in New York City, NY

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Ad Layout Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in February 2014.

Applied for the position and I received an email for an interview 3 days later. I went for the interview that week and it seemed to go really well. I had to go through security but all that went smoothly. We talked for about an hour about what the job would include and he showed me examples of the work I would be doing. I was confident and showed interest in the position. He never told me one bad thing or inferred in any way that I wouldn't be a good fit. He even told me that he had only one other person to interview for the position and that he would be making a decision next week. Sadly, I did not receive a phone call offering me the position so I called the HR department at the end of the following week to find out that I did not get offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • He didn't really ask me any questions. It was more of an hour long conversation about the position. I had a bunch of questions prepared that kept the conversations flowing.   Answer Question

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

The in-person interviewer who was the hiring manager was very professional and personable, and provided a good picture of the position and asked good questions relating to my experience, etc. The process was comfortable and the general tone of the interview was conversational. The offices were very impressive. Overall a good experience and I left with a positive impression of the company and people.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dow Jones.

A phone interview was followed by an interview at the beautiful NYC office. It was relaxed, and took place with only one interviewer - the head of department. It lasted around 20 minutes and I was told of my success the same day.

Interview Questions
    • How have you handled a challenging customer interaction in the past? How would you change what you did now, looking back on it?   Answer Question
    I don't think this starting position is negotiable.

Technology Showcase Event! Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

1. Online Application - 10/24/2013
    2. Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue - 10/28/2013
    3. Digital Interview - 10/30/2013 - 50 min

Interview Questions
    • Four Interview Questions
      1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)

2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)

3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
      Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
      The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
      The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
      Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.

Sample inputs & outputs:
                Input:9, Output:F#
                Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
                Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
      ***You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.

4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)
        Answer Question

Technology Showcase Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

2013.10.24 Online Application
    2013.10.28 Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue
    2013.10.30 Digital Interview (50 minutes) with the following quesitons

1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)
    3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
    The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
    Sample inputs & outputs:
              Input:9, Output:F#
              Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
              Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Contacted by email first, exchanged with a few emails, took an online interview where coding test played the majority role. The questions were very difficult for non-top-coders. Completed the first question with great difficulty, then failed at the second one. It should be a genuine position for professional programmers and I have a lot of respect for that.

Interview Questions
    • Why is your solution better than others would think of   View Answer

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Got a call from Dow Jones.

Had 1 on 1 phone interview on skype. Asked bunch of questions on iOS ranging from MRC,ARC to CoreData, Multithreading,etc. It was an intense 1 hour interview.

Had another on 1 on 1 interview on skype. Mostly on Resume. Asked for code samples and approach to solve 2 questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most were iOS basics. If you have developed an iOS app with GCD, multithreading, coredata and ARC/MRC, anyone will be able to answer this.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dow Jones in July 2013.

Rude, unorganized, unprofessional. Got stood up on phone interview. Hunted down recruiter after 15 min. She got back saying the interviewer will call ASAP. AN HOUR PASSED! Recruiter went MIA. Finally got a barely apologetic email not accepting blame & reschedule info. New Call: Interviewer was 25 min late.

Interview Questions
    • Easy questions asked by asinine hiring managers. They want to know why you want the position, what news you consume and what Dow Jones products you know of such as Wall Street Journal etc.   Answer Question

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Simple. Met 3 times. Once with SVP Finance in NYc, once with Pres of business I'd be supporting in NYC and again wit SVP Finance in New Jersey so I could see the team at HQ. had an offer shortly thereafter. No time wasted, no extra layers, no BS.

Interview Questions
    Simple, "we feel its a fit, let's move forward." Threw some numbers out there, I came back with some small requests, we agreed moved ahead. Background process took a few days. All in all, offer to start date was 3 weeks.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Dow Jones in May 2013.

Simple Phone interview and then on site interview at NY

Interview Questions
    • Random question about anything they want to ask. I was asked about C++ and python even though i was interviewing for Java developer.   Answer Question

Better offer and better work place