DreamWorks Animation

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR after submitting my application directly to my department via email. I was invited to the Glendale campus to interview and found my potential employers to be friendly, approachable and in fact they addressed the fact that DreamWorks oddly lingered perhaps a little too long on the Shrek franchise.

Interview Question – What is your favorite DreamWorks movie? (this was not unexpected, there just weren't any difficult questions)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate hours, especially since it was an unpaid internship

Marketing Design Interview

Marketing Design
Glendale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview first started off with a surprise phone interview and eventually led to an on-campus interview. Once that was done, they told me they would call me back for another. When they called again, they said I didn't make a second interview.

Interview Question – The surprise phone interview was the most difficult because the timing took me by surprise. Most of the questions were about yourself and what you expected to get out of the internship.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Training Department Intern Interview

Training Department Intern
Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in August 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting my application online I was contacted, by phone, by the HR department stating that they would like to setup an interview. I was then brought in to meet with a few managers in the Training Department. During my interview I had mentioned that I had also applied to a few other positions within the department so they sent me to have an impromptu interview with the other managers. A few days later I received a phone call again saying that all of the managers liked me and it was my choice which team I would like to intern with.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Basic get to know you questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had to wait to hear for a start date but other than that it was straight forward.

Modeler Interview

Modeler
Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview Details – I applied online and send email to recruiter several times, but there was no answer for a long time over few month. One day recruiting coordinator contacted me, then had a phone interview with supervisor(August). Then I had an on site interview at the PDI within a month after phone interview(September). After that there was no any answer for a long time. I just recognized that might be rejected... but one day I got a call from Dreamworks in Glendale(December), and flew to there for onsite interview with several supervisors, and also had an video interview with sup in Redwood city. There was no any answer for next 3 months, then finally I got an offer from Dreamworks Glendale (1st week of March)

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – They suggested me competitive salary than my expectations, but I requested them to think a little bit. They offered me increased salary(10% more) next day, and relocation cost, 1 month temp housing. I accept it.

Character Technical Director Interview

Character Technical Director
Glendale, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in September 2009.

Interview Details – I met dreamworks at Siggraph in los angeles. I showed them my demoreel and they took my resume. Next day i got a call for an interview. Went to siggraph and interviewed with one of their supervisor. A week later they call me for a phone interview. Then a few days later DW flew me down to LA for another interview. That one last a whole day. I met with 5 different groups of peoples. A week later i got an offer from HR and signed my contract.

Interview Question – There was a lot of programming questions. Lots of math questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me a competitive salary. Negotiation went pretty smooth.

R&D Software Developer Intern Interview

R&D Software Developer Intern
Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in January 2013.

Interview Details – Skype Interview 1 by Software Engineer:
1) Basic OOP questions
2) Two coding questions (String, Array)

Skype Interview 2 by two Senior Software Engineers:
1) OOP design questions
2) Iterators
3) STL (C++)
4) Two coding questions (Array, Tree)

* General resume, behavioral and testing questions were asked all along.

Interview Question – Had signed NDA. So can't disclose exact question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for interns !

Operations Systems Administration Interview

Operations Systems Administration
Glendale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in January 2009.

Interview Details – Temp to hire. You will be interviewed on skill sets, aptitude for the job and personality. They are all very important because you will be representing the entire group to everyone in the company, from Assistants to Directors.

Interview Question – There are many, the best thing to do is to respond "I don't know but this is what I would try...". This is the best response to a technical question that is given and you have never seen before.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will give you an offer on the low end. Ask for a higher range and accept if you feel content about the pay. You also need to consider all the other benefits you will get from working at this company in this position.

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Internal Audit Intern
Glendale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in July 2012.

Interview Details – The process was very quick. Had one phone interview, however didn't get the second round.

Interview Question – It was general questions like "what do you plan to do with your career?"   Answer Question

Effects Artist Interview

Effects Artist
Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through the DWA careers website a few months in advance. I got a phone call from the recruiters about 3 months after applying. Before the interview process began we worked out a rough availability/start date. Since I was working on a contract, I was not able to consider their suggested start date. After a few days they contacted me and said I could start after I finished my current contract.

We worked out rough salary requirements via phone and I was called into an on campus interview with Glendale. I was asked if I could work at either campus either in Los Angeles or the Bay Area.

The interview process took a few hours, involving several half hour interviews with different production teams and supervisors, some locally in person and others by video link to other locations. There was also a brief tour of the campus and a lunch at their food court.

Most questions were about the various types of effects I have done on my demo reel. I was questioned by some teams on my work process to complete an effect.

Once the interview was completed, I was contacted a week later with a job offer.

Interview Question – One team leader asked me what was my preferred rendering algorithm and why.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The rate was worked out early. They managed to match an existing offer at another facility by increasing my contracted hours based on a 45 hour workweek vs a 40 hour week. This was "free" overtime but apparently it is no longer being done as of 2013.

Human Resources Intern Interview

Human Resources Intern
Glendale, CA

The process took 4 days - interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in January 2012.

Interview Details – A day after I applied for the internship I received a phone call from DreamWorks Animation, asking if I wanted to schedule an interview. The interview was scheduled a few days after the initial phone call. I was sent an email informing me where to go and who would be interviewing me. I was interviews by three people in the department. Twenty minutes after the interview, I received a phone call and they informed me that I was the last person they interviewed and was offered the internship.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect working at DreamWorks to be like?   View Answer
  • Tell me about yourself and why you would be a good fit for this position.   Answer Question

Worked for DreamWorks Animation? Contribute to the Community!