DreamWorks Animation Interview Questions

Updated Jun 2, 2015

2.6

Staff Accountant for Film/TV Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DreamWorks Animation (Glendale, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Received a screening interview call two days after an employee referral from HR Recruiter. Very easy going. Three days later, got email requesting interview setup. The interview was setup 2 weeks later for 2 back to back interviews, first with that HR person from the phone call then 2 senior staff. I emailed a few days before to confirm the interview appointment and they told me HR had cancelled so it was just 1 interview with senior staff for a scheduled 30 mins in a conference room. I went in for the interview and it was immediately followed up by 2 unexpected back to back interviews. One with 2 managers and one with 1 Director. The 3 back to back interviews took a little over 2 hours. Interviewers were very friendly and intelligent.

Interview Questions

• *Senior Staffs Interview:
      Q: Why do you want to leave your job?
      Q: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Q: What is your level of expertise in Excel? Are you familiar with pivot tables and vlookups?
      Q: Is revenue naturally a credit or debit?
      Q: Is expense naturally a credit or debit?
      Q: If someone gave you cash and revenue hasn't been booked yet, how would you draft the journal entry? What account do you credit and what account do you debit?
      *Managers Interview:
      Q: Tell me about yourself.
      Q: Tell me about this company. What do you know?
      Q: Why do you want to leave your job?
      Q: Tell me some of the DreamWorks TV Shows you know of, which ones do you watch?
      Q: Did you watch the recent DreamWorks film? (Watch it. Then say yes)
      Q: If given 2 equally important tasks by 2 of your superiors with the same deadline, and you only had time to tackle one. How would you determine which one to do first?
      *Director Interview:
      Q: Why do you want to leave your job?
      Q: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Q: What do you know about this company?
      Q: What have the others [interviewers] told you about this company?
      Q: What did you like about them [interviewers]?
      Q: Did they [interviewers] pop quiz you?
      Q: How many accounting classes did you take back in college? (I hadn't been in college for 7 years, so this question took me off guard. Know your resume!)
      Q: If you had to do a procedure and you thought it was “stupid,” would you still do it? How would you handle that situation, how would you let me know?
      + Questions about resume, wanted a detailed example of an accomplishment listed under resume.

Answer Question

Surfacing Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

Prosses is very good but they are taking long time for first call.
    After selectselection Interview pross is very fast. Propper call arrestment, some time they asking for skype also

Operation Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

First is a phone call with the internal recruiter, second is a phone call with the supervisor/manager for the position you're applying to, third is an in-person interview with different department groups and one with other peers you will be working with. Half tech questions half psychological.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between TCP/UDP?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was not available as an option for me. They don't really pay their tech team that much :(

R&D Rendering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DreamWorks Animation (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I got a call after about 2 weeks of my online application. We set a telephone appointment for the interview.
    The interview was not technical. The interviewer asked me about my previous projects, and at the end he told me that my experiences are not well aligned with their requirements, but he will let me know the result later.

Interview Questions

• If you you have memory issues to render using GPU, what will you do?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

Got a call a few weeks after applying online. Phone call was like a mini phone interview. The interview itself was one on one and extremely casual. No hard questions. They mostly try to get to know you as a person.

Interview Questions

• What aspect of 3D animation are you interested in?   1 Answer

Database Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

Applied online by sending an email.
    Next day got call from recruiter for scheduling phone interview with hiring manager.
    30-45 min interview with manager. (Based on resume, database concepts like sharding, etc. )
    After 3-4 hours got call from recruiter that you got selected for the position.
    Very fast recruiting process.

Internal Auditing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

I applied this position online and got a back-to-back interview a week later. The interviewers were really nice. They asked me about my resume and my opinions about the current market. The atmosphere during this interview was really relaxing and friendly. Just like a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Can you use the knowledge you learned in Macroeconomics to explain the current market in US?   Answer Question

Internal Auditing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DreamWorks Animation (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received the invitation several weeks later. The interview process was a back to back interview. The interviewee were really nice. The interview questions are behavioral based. They also asked me go through my resume.

Accounting Interview

Interview

HR spontaneously calls for a chat, but this is actually the phone interview. Went to the Glendale location for an interview. The interviewers were really nice and conversational.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions regarding your resume and if you "studied" up what intern they were looking for.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DreamWorks Animation (Glendale, CA).

Interview

Very quick and decisive process. Qualifications did not change from initial internship posting. One phone call and one in person interview with the manager of the specific department of interest. Hiring team was there for support, but did not conduct the interviews themselves.

Interview Questions

• What value can you bring to DreamWorks Animation, that could not be expressed via you resume?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, no pay.