DreamWorks Animation Technical Director Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

2.8

Technical Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

Two phone screens (personality + basic tech chops) then a couple hours of video chat (spread over three to four separate interviews). Each of these three are done on different days. If you're local, they'll bring you in to the office.

Negotiation

Union position, so it doesn't feel like you can negotiate much. You can, but know the limits.

Other Interview Reviews for DreamWorks Animation

Technical Director Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in October 2012.

Interview

Applied for the job. Resume was shortlisted. ( need to express work or portfolio in field of graphics). 2 rounds of telephonic interview were taken within a gap of 3 weeks. 1st round was from US office and Mainly included questions of computer graphics, animation pipeline, small problem solving questions. No questions on coding but asked basic questions in CS. 2nd round was also telephonic and included scenario based questions ( limited resources and time to get desired result) and others were to test communication skills and leadership in general.

Interview Questions

• How will you convince people around to work even when no is motivated for it?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation (Redwood City, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

I got the call after submitting my demo reel and resume to the HR. The first interview was on campus. Basic puzzle questions were asked. basic coding skills were tested. Was contacted after 3 weeks for onsite interview. 4 rounds in total, all panel interviews. First round was personality test. Asked questions about my personality, my likes, dislikes, asked me to narrate a funny story. Second round was puzzle round. Asked 6 different puzzles and I answered them all. The third round was technical round. The questions asked were based on C++, basic graphics questions, hashtables etc. The last round was with the TD director. He went over the team and the company. Explained the benefits of the company. A general chat.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation (Glendale, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

The interview went well. The thing that was really unique about the process was having a Video interview instead of being flown out to the company. The whole process was smooth, the people I interviewed with were nice. I interviewed with both the Glendale and Redwood City offices. The questions they asked were good. I didn't get grilled as much as I thought I would on specific coding questions, but they had some good logic questions.

Negotiation

Very little to negotiate, partly because it's under a union, partly because it's DreamWorks and they know it.

Technical Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in August 2010.

Interview

One 30-min phone interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you design an elevator system for a 100-story building?   Answer Question