DreamWorks

Very Difficult Interview

Devops Engineer Interview

Devops Engineer
Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at DreamWorks in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was excited about the phone screen, I had several other in-person interviews that went well and even two offers already, but this was Dreamworks, and I couldn't wait to hear what questions they would ask. The recruiter screen went well, of course.
The interviewer asked what tools I would use for capacity planning, and what I would use to evaluate resources for adding thousands of users to a webapp.
I've done both of these things countless times, so I listed several tools, and went in depth into how I would use them and gave examples of successful projects from my past. He seemed exasperated as he asked me "any *other* tools you can think of?" several times. When I asked which tool he was looking for, he ended the interview abruptly, rudly, and without saying goodby as he hung up the phone.
 I've seen a lot of different interview styles, and I don't believe the "guess our toolset" method is a useful way to evaluate qualified candidates. I felt like I caught someone on a VERY bad day and they were determined to not hire me under any circumstances.

Interview Question – Any *other* tools you can think of?   View Answer

Worked for DreamWorks? Contribute to the Community!