Dress Barn

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – Pretty easy. Standard retail questions. How would you handle a situation with an upset customer.

Negotiation Details – They told me they were starting me hire than other assistant mangers, because i had retail exp. I was fine with that. Not as much as I made with other companies.

Redlands, CA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – (1) I entered the store dressed for an interview and got THE manager, NOT an assistant or a sales person. This gives you a chance to sell yourself a little upfront. No shorts, flip-flops or inappropriate attire please. I was given an application and was interviewed on the spot and then a second interview set up with the DSM. A Personality test was also taken.Total 2 interviews. Was hired as an assistant and then entered their Pros program to further my career and skills

Interview Question – They asked me to give them an example of something I'd done (and was particularly proud of) where I had gone above and beyond the call of duty to help a customer or employee at a previous job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typically an assistant manager with Dressbarn would only start at around $12-1$14 per hour depending on their education and previous retail experience. I started a little higher than most assistants because I had extensive retail and management background. I'd say the negotiation phase was easy.

New Braunfels, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Dress Barn in October 2012.

Interview Details – Manager and another assistant walk the floor during your interview. She will ask about your experience and what you can bring to the company. They try to get out of you what your personality is like and if you fit in with their group

Interview Question – What do you want from the company and where do you see yourself in a year   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Told me strictly what I would make per hour and with all my experience I would have a be a manager of a store in 6 months

Homewood, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn in April 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online for an opportunity at Dress Barn for assistant mgr position. The next day I got a call for an interview, and went in the following day. I selected a particular city during the application process but was interviewed at a location different from where I applied. At the interview, I fill out another application, gave another copy of my resume and cover letter, and was told by the store manager the reason I was called for an interview at that location was because she was doing interviews for the district manager of that district. The store manager asked me what location did I apply for and told me there was an opening there and I would be placed their if an offer was set. The interview was 1hr long, and I was asked questions about my previous retail experience, behavioral questions, and was told how the company runs day to day. Most of the interview was about working in a specialty store versus a department store. There were no set interview questions, she didn't write anything down, wasn't as professional as expected. Once the interview was over I was told my salary would be based on what location I would be placed (bigger volume stores pay more to their employees) About a week to a week 1/2, I was called by the district manager who I played phone tag with for several days. She wanted to "meet" me at the local mall (still not the store I applied for), I couldn't make it, too spur of the moment. A few days later I was called by the store mgr of the store where I actually applied to work at. Went in for an interview, still no formal interview questions, she just told me what my job would consist of, told me about the company, and I asked questions about pay, advancement.... Still no answer about what the pay would be, just was told I had to interview with the district manager when she got off vacation in a week to discuss my pay, if I was selected. Since then (3 weeks ago) I haven't heard from the district manager, and really don't care. I was told assistant managers are responsible for 90% of ALL sales on a daily basis. Even thought assistant mgrs don't work on commission, they are responsible for personal sales goals which if not meet, could lead to termination. They are also responsible for changing the store around, re-stocking, merchandising, customer service, all returns, hosting monthly fashion (sales) shows, cleaning the store, and fitting rooms, taking merchandise out of boxes, applying censors, hangers, and finding room on the sales floor for the new merchandise. AND never work over 40hrs a week. A lot plus meeting daily sales goals (non salaried position too)....

Interview Questions

• What do you do when an associates job is to mop the back room, and tells you at the last minute they don't get paid enough to mop?   View Answer
  • If you were asked to re-merchandise the entire store including window displays without any planograms, how would you?   View Answer

Apple Valley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dress Barn in September 2008.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by Dorthy Chung who is the DM for the Dress Barn in Apple Valley. She was very intimidating and hard to understand with her jamaican accent. Questions weren't very clear .Most of the interview she talk about her self being the poster child for Dress Barn's breast cancer awareness. She also talked poorly about the mangers working in the store. I would recommend NOT working at any Dress Barn that she is a District Manager to.

Interview Question – What would you do If you saw a manager stealing or giving unauthorized discounts to customers?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If i wasn't intimidated by the DM I would of asked for more if I new better. I put 13.00 hr ,when i could really have asked for 15.00hr!

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn in April 2009.

Interview Details – Standard interview, I was asked questions regarding my sales and management experience, what my aspirations were as far as the company. I was asked how I would handle certain scenarios as far as customer sevice issues and employee conflicts. Then I was asked to take a multiple choice personality test. Afterwards I was asked for references.

Interview Question – How have you met your sales goals?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Manager

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn in July 2010.

Interview Details – The whole process was very pleasant although took longer because of time of year. Vacations, etc. The emphasis is on being able to sell as well as lead a team of associates.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to hold an associate accountable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a rate at the top of their matrix. Be willing to work hard for little money.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dress Barn

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dress Barn Assistant Manager interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dress Barn employees and interview candidates.