Dress Barn

Average Difficulty
29 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Part-Time Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – Must have previous sales associate expierence in apparel or accessories. Fairly easy. Know your metrics and express why you would like to work for the company. Also who their audience is.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had a negative experience on the sales floor?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They stick to their number.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Detroit, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dress Barn in November 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty basic interview. Review of the application and experience, as well as how to handle certain scenarios. Had to take a short assessment of about 50 questions. Finally, I was asked to look around the store for a work outfit. Overall, the interview was a good experience. No reason to be nervous.

Interview Question – "What is your biggest weakness?"   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Part-Time Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dress Barn in May 2014.

Interview Details – Well my interview went pretty quick and easy... I absolutely love fashion so I was excited to get started as soon as possible... If you are yourself and have a passion for fashion the interview is a breeze :)

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nashua, NH

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted immediately for an interview, however, the store that I interviewed for did not have any openings. Later I find an ad for another store so I followed up and got a second interview at the second location where I was ultimately hired.

Interview Question – They delved deeply into my knowledge of retail management yet the position was not a management position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Simple: It was basically a take it or leave it negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Vernon Hills, IL

I applied in-person - interviewed at Dress Barn in April 2011.

Interview Details – I did have several interviews. I didn't have uncomfortable situations about anything. I know if you are truly honest, should not be a problem.

Interview Question – i didn't have unexpected question.   Answer Question

Part-Time Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – The interview process was very extensive. There were really 3 rounds including a 2 tier computer test, a sit down interview, and 2 rounds of interviews on the floor with 2 members of management. I was essentially told I had the job, but had to wait until all these steps were completed and my 3 references had all been contacted.

Interview Question – I was asked what I would do if someone tried to rob the store. I understand this is important, but I was unsure how to answer because I assumed there would be a protocol put in place by the company that I would be taught later.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – Pretty easy. Standard retail questions. How would you handle a situation with an upset customer.

Negotiation Details – They told me they were starting me hire than other assistant mangers, because i had retail exp. I was fine with that. Not as much as I made with other companies.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – Filled out an application In the store I was called one week later for an interview and one of those surveys (strongly agree, agree, neutral....) during the interview I was asked about my sales experience, how I handled difficult customers and what my definition of customer service is.

Interview Question – How would you sell me something I didn't like?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation you start at minimum wage

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews. One with district leader and one with regional leader. Very normal questions asked about my management style and how I had made changes in my positions in the past. The district leader was more about herself and all she had done. I should have know that was a sign of a bad fit. I am more about the team and what we accomplished not me, me, me!

Interview Question – How did I handle a situation that could have multiple layers of damage. What did I do to turn situation around in detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I wanted to come in with vacation, no they don't negotiate.

Redlands, CA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – (1) I entered the store dressed for an interview and got THE manager, NOT an assistant or a sales person. This gives you a chance to sell yourself a little upfront. No shorts, flip-flops or inappropriate attire please. I was given an application and was interviewed on the spot and then a second interview set up with the DSM. A Personality test was also taken.Total 2 interviews. Was hired as an assistant and then entered their Pros program to further my career and skills

Interview Question – They asked me to give them an example of something I'd done (and was particularly proud of) where I had gone above and beyond the call of duty to help a customer or employee at a previous job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typically an assistant manager with Dressbarn would only start at around $12-1$14 per hour depending on their education and previous retail experience. I started a little higher than most assistants because I had extensive retail and management background. I'd say the negotiation phase was easy.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dress Barn

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dress Barn interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dress Barn employees and interview candidates.