Dress Barn

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redlands, CA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – (1) I entered the store dressed for an interview and got THE manager, NOT an assistant or a sales person. This gives you a chance to sell yourself a little upfront. No shorts, flip-flops or inappropriate attire please. I was given an application and was interviewed on the spot and then a second interview set up with the DSM. A Personality test was also taken.Total 2 interviews. Was hired as an assistant and then entered their Pros program to further my career and skills

Interview Question – They asked me to give them an example of something I'd done (and was particularly proud of) where I had gone above and beyond the call of duty to help a customer or employee at a previous job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typically an assistant manager with Dressbarn would only start at around $12-1$14 per hour depending on their education and previous retail experience. I started a little higher than most assistants because I had extensive retail and management background. I'd say the negotiation phase was easy.

Store Leader Interview

Store Leader

I applied through other source - interviewed at Dress Barn in April 2010.

Interview Details – All applicants apply online at Dressbarn.com/careers
All "paperwork" is done electronically, with minimal actual signing of documents at hiring in store location. Will be given a link to take an Assesment Profile online, includes personality questions, retail math problem, spatial thinking exercises, etc.
Interview with DSM in person, and possibly with RSM.

Interview Question – I did not find any questions during the interview process to be exceptionable in regards to questions for the position in any retail company   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my beginning salary. I gave the $ I was comfortable with, and I did receive it.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Suffern, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dress Barn in January 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the Customer Service Supervisor and Manager. A quick, brief interview. I felt like they were really seeing if I was a match for the department and personalities, not cared about prior experience.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything difficult in the questions they asked, all expected.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – two interviews

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated pay

New Braunfels, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Dress Barn in October 2012.

Interview Details – Manager and another assistant walk the floor during your interview. She will ask about your experience and what you can bring to the company. They try to get out of you what your personality is like and if you fit in with their group

Interview Question – What do you want from the company and where do you see yourself in a year   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Told me strictly what I would make per hour and with all my experience I would have a be a manager of a store in 6 months

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – Got a call from HR. HR interview was straight forward and than i was called for a in person interview. The interviewer just asked me about my experience. My computer skills and software knowledge. Ask me how good I am with data.

Interview Question – Asked me some of the software usage questions on access   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Locust Grove, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dress Barn in November 2008.

Interview Details – The application process is typical. If you've been selected among the other applicants then you get your first (and usually only) interview. You'll be asked about experience, education, and other qualifications. Typically it takes place in the back room with the store manager or one of the assistant store managers.

Interview Question – Do you think you'll be able to reach all goals and accomplish all tasks assigned to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – In the 3 locations I've worked in you'll probably be part time and a sales associate until you've reached enough goals to be promoted. Typically the only full time employees are the managers. Either way they are genuinely easy to help you schedule your shifts around your life.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Myrtle Beach, SC

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dress Barn in March 2011.

Interview Details – Walked in and introduced myself, resume in hand..got an on the spot interview with the manager. She set me up with an interview with the district manager a few days later..met her at a store.Interview lasted about half an hour..included the usual questions..."why do you want to work here".." what are your strengths"..told me about the culture..very credit card selling oriented..seemed a bit of a stuffy environment for me..i like a little bit younger demographic..and a little bit "hipper" atmosphere.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had a difficult customer..and how did you turn that into a positive experience?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Retail Management Interview

Retail Management
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dress Barn in July 2010.

Interview Details – I asked to fill application on sales floor. While filling application asked to tell about self. When taking personality test, it was also taken on sales floor and in the middle of 2 employees talking. Did not seem very professional. 1 employee did not give me eye contact and found out later she was a barrowed Asst. manager.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever checked in or shipped out merchandise before?   View Answer
  • Is your avilability flexible? Nights, weekends, holidays?   View Answer

Homewood, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn in April 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online for an opportunity at Dress Barn for assistant mgr position. The next day I got a call for an interview, and went in the following day. I selected a particular city during the application process but was interviewed at a location different from where I applied. At the interview, I fill out another application, gave another copy of my resume and cover letter, and was told by the store manager the reason I was called for an interview at that location was because she was doing interviews for the district manager of that district. The store manager asked me what location did I apply for and told me there was an opening there and I would be placed their if an offer was set. The interview was 1hr long, and I was asked questions about my previous retail experience, behavioral questions, and was told how the company runs day to day. Most of the interview was about working in a specialty store versus a department store. There were no set interview questions, she didn't write anything down, wasn't as professional as expected. Once the interview was over I was told my salary would be based on what location I would be placed (bigger volume stores pay more to their employees) About a week to a week 1/2, I was called by the district manager who I played phone tag with for several days. She wanted to "meet" me at the local mall (still not the store I applied for), I couldn't make it, too spur of the moment. A few days later I was called by the store mgr of the store where I actually applied to work at. Went in for an interview, still no formal interview questions, she just told me what my job would consist of, told me about the company, and I asked questions about pay, advancement.... Still no answer about what the pay would be, just was told I had to interview with the district manager when she got off vacation in a week to discuss my pay, if I was selected. Since then (3 weeks ago) I haven't heard from the district manager, and really don't care. I was told assistant managers are responsible for 90% of ALL sales on a daily basis. Even thought assistant mgrs don't work on commission, they are responsible for personal sales goals which if not meet, could lead to termination. They are also responsible for changing the store around, re-stocking, merchandising, customer service, all returns, hosting monthly fashion (sales) shows, cleaning the store, and fitting rooms, taking merchandise out of boxes, applying censors, hangers, and finding room on the sales floor for the new merchandise. AND never work over 40hrs a week. A lot plus meeting daily sales goals (non salaried position too)....

Interview Questions

• What do you do when an associates job is to mop the back room, and tells you at the last minute they don't get paid enough to mop?   View Answer
  • If you were asked to re-merchandise the entire store including window displays without any planograms, how would you?   View Answer