Dress Barn

31 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews. One with district leader and one with regional leader. Very normal questions asked about my management style and how I had made changes in my positions in the past. The district leader was more about herself and all she had done. I should have know that was a sign of a bad fit. I am more about the team and what we accomplished not me, me, me!

Interview Question – How did I handle a situation that could have multiple layers of damage. What did I do to turn situation around in detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I wanted to come in with vacation, no they don't negotiate.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Redlands, CA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – (1) I entered the store dressed for an interview and got THE manager, NOT an assistant or a sales person. This gives you a chance to sell yourself a little upfront. No shorts, flip-flops or inappropriate attire please. I was given an application and was interviewed on the spot and then a second interview set up with the DSM. A Personality test was also taken.Total 2 interviews. Was hired as an assistant and then entered their Pros program to further my career and skills

Interview Question – They asked me to give them an example of something I'd done (and was particularly proud of) where I had gone above and beyond the call of duty to help a customer or employee at a previous job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typically an assistant manager with Dressbarn would only start at around $12-1$14 per hour depending on their education and previous retail experience. I started a little higher than most assistants because I had extensive retail and management background. I'd say the negotiation phase was easy.

Store Leader Interview

Store Leader

I applied through other source - interviewed at Dress Barn in April 2010.

Interview Details – All applicants apply online at Dressbarn.com/careers
All "paperwork" is done electronically, with minimal actual signing of documents at hiring in store location. Will be given a link to take an Assesment Profile online, includes personality questions, retail math problem, spatial thinking exercises, etc.
Interview with DSM in person, and possibly with RSM.

Interview Question – I did not find any questions during the interview process to be exceptionable in regards to questions for the position in any retail company   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my beginning salary. I gave the $ I was comfortable with, and I did receive it.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Suffern, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dress Barn in January 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the Customer Service Supervisor and Manager. A quick, brief interview. I felt like they were really seeing if I was a match for the department and personalities, not cared about prior experience.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything difficult in the questions they asked, all expected.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – two interviews

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated pay

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
New Braunfels, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Dress Barn in October 2012.

Interview Details – Manager and another assistant walk the floor during your interview. She will ask about your experience and what you can bring to the company. They try to get out of you what your personality is like and if you fit in with their group

Interview Question – What do you want from the company and where do you see yourself in a year   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Told me strictly what I would make per hour and with all my experience I would have a be a manager of a store in 6 months

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Dress Barn.

Interview Details – Got a call from HR. HR interview was straight forward and than i was called for a in person interview. The interviewer just asked me about my experience. My computer skills and software knowledge. Ask me how good I am with data.

Interview Question – Asked me some of the software usage questions on access   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Locust Grove, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dress Barn in November 2008.

Interview Details – The application process is typical. If you've been selected among the other applicants then you get your first (and usually only) interview. You'll be asked about experience, education, and other qualifications. Typically it takes place in the back room with the store manager or one of the assistant store managers.

Interview Question – Do you think you'll be able to reach all goals and accomplish all tasks assigned to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – In the 3 locations I've worked in you'll probably be part time and a sales associate until you've reached enough goals to be promoted. Typically the only full time employees are the managers. Either way they are genuinely easy to help you schedule your shifts around your life.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Myrtle Beach, SC

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dress Barn in March 2011.

Interview Details – Walked in and introduced myself, resume in hand..got an on the spot interview with the manager. She set me up with an interview with the district manager a few days later..met her at a store.Interview lasted about half an hour..included the usual questions..."why do you want to work here".." what are your strengths"..told me about the culture..very credit card selling oriented..seemed a bit of a stuffy environment for me..i like a little bit younger demographic..and a little bit "hipper" atmosphere.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had a difficult customer..and how did you turn that into a positive experience?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Retail Management Interview

Retail Management
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dress Barn in July 2010.

Interview Details – I asked to fill application on sales floor. While filling application asked to tell about self. When taking personality test, it was also taken on sales floor and in the middle of 2 employees talking. Did not seem very professional. 1 employee did not give me eye contact and found out later she was a barrowed Asst. manager.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever checked in or shipped out merchandise before?   View Answer
  • Is your avilability flexible? Nights, weekends, holidays?   View Answer