DriveTime Automotive Group

Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in January 2011.

The interview is extremely easy. They will only hire newly college graduates so do not apply if you are 40+ for this position because you will not get it. They will ask you hobbies and what you like to do in you spare time. They will also ask you if you have ever sold cars before. Answer no because they will not hire you if you ever have before. This is because if you ever have sold cars before then you know how much you should be making with all the hours you put in there vs the amount of vehicles you sell and they would expect you to know that you will be Highly under paid. I have sold 214 cars for them in 2014 and barely made $50,000. Would have made triple that at any other dealership

Interview Questions
    • They will also ask you if you have ever sold cars before?   View Answer
    You are not able to negotiate pay. Pay is $31,000 per year with no raises. Actually ask about a possible raise after my 3rd year of working there and the management replied sell more cars and you will get more commissions. That was the definition of the term raise the gave to me and actually took 20 min out of their time to explain that to me. Have been there for 4 years and the commissions has also went down on a yearly basis as well. Selling more cars in year 4 but getting paid less in my 4th year that I did when I first started.

Senior Manager Interview

interviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in October 2014.

HR found my resume and left me a voice mail (but did not state the open position). He later emailed the job description. When I called back, he seemed very inexperienced. "Cool, cool. So what did you like about the job description?" I have been a part of laid back, creative, matrix organizations as well as stiff, corporate ones. This was like talking to a fresh college grad. I learned the position had "senior" in the title but carried broad junior responsibilities as well as a 20% salary cut for me. Plus, it reported to someone whose related experience can be summed up by a few years as a "specialist" in a non-corporate environment. But, sincere kudos to DriveTime for giving employees opportunities from within. I mean that. After reviewing DriveTime, this appears to be a successful company and a great culture to work in if you are a junior employee, looking to learn role-related duties and advance into a DriveTime title you can then leverage elsewhere. If you have held actual senior roles at other companies, have broader business knowledge or global experience in your discipline, I am making the assumption that this is not for you. I returned their call just to confirm my suspicions and stated this would not be a good fit for either party before parting ways.

Interview Questions
    • "Cool, cool. So what did you like about the job description?"   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in September 2014.

Applied to posting online. Received a call about 1 week later from a recruiter. I was asked behavioral questions and the process took about 30 minutes. At the end of the phone interview, the recruiter scheduled me with the Manager of the store a few days later. The manager sat and asked general question, mainly about why Drivetime? There was no structure to the Manager's questions, it was as if he was unprepared for the interview. I had a second interview with a Market Manager. The Market manager asked background question, but again, no structure. About a week later, I received an email stating that they decided to go with another candidate and would keep my application on file for six months. I believe that had already decided on the new hire prior to my appointment. Most of the staff looked like kids fresh out of college.

Interview Questions
    • What have you heard about working at DriveTime? Would you have problems with working a 50-60 hour workweek?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in August 2014.

Was contacted late Thur afternoon by an internal recruiter that I had a hard time understanding because of accent. Set up a phone screen for Friday afternoon with the VP of IT and their most senior admin/engineer. Call when well was asked to come in for in-person the following Monday. Was scheduled for a 2 hour meeting. got on site, talked with the VP for about 5 min, he was dressed in cargo shorts and a polo top. 2 senior admins came in and we talked for 50 minutes or so about all the different things they were doing, basically the position was "everything, and other duties as assigned". The network admin position is just a generic title as you'll be doing networking, windows/nix, virtualization, san, exchange, etc. They said they create a lot of side businesses to get every penny out of the sale of a car, so you have to always be ready to connect domains and spin up entire sites over the weekend. Those 2 left and had a 10min wait for 2 more lower level admins to come in and talk. talked with them for about 45min, both of them agreed that their input had 0% relevance to my being hired and didn't understand why they were there. That lasted for 45 min, they left and VP came back in. Said he would be in touch early the following week. Time for follow-up came and went, I sent and email asked for an update, about 1 and a half weeks later I heard back with standard turn down letter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in June 2014.

initially you speak with one of DriveTime's National Recruiter to complete a phone interview. From there they will set you up to meet with the hiring managers at the dealership locally. Should that interview go well, they will set you up to complete a interview with the Regional or Market manager. They are not always available to meet face to face so the final interview may be conducted via phone or Skype.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to talk about your drive or career aspirations. DriveTime is big about growth from within and are looking for individuals that have the drive to start a career.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation on the base salary, it is set across the nation for all Sales Advisors.

Inventory Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in August 2014.

I applied online over the weekend and was contacted by a recruiter the following Tuesday. We set an interview for the next day. The phone screen was relatively brief compared to others I've done but that may have been due to the fact I was coming from a very similar job. The in-person portion was very relaxed and comfortable. Much more of a conversation than a question/answer session. It felt very real and made the company even more appealing. Both interviewers were extremely personable. The process from beginning to the job offer was about an hour and a half.

Interview Questions
    • There were very few actual questions. "What do you like most and least about your current position?"   Answer Question
    Don't be afraid of your experience. They seemed to appreciate the straight forward approach to the compensation discussion. I said, "I understand the position pays $xx. I currently make $xx. What do you think is fair?" And so on.

Loan Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in July 2014.

Applied online, contacted by a recruited 2 days later. 30 minute phone conversation covering previous experience, career goals, and the opportunity with DriveTime. Interview set up for the next day. Interviewed by one individual, who told me he would decide if I would talk to another individual, and then they would make a decision that day. Neither of these guys was a direct supervisor, which is awesome. Both had come up through the ranks at DriveTime, been there an average of a dozen years and loved their job. I think its great not to interviewed by a direct supervisor, this is a company that clearly wants to develop talent and promote from within. Even their interview process shows this.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly I don't recall there being difficult questions. Myself I am not great with very open ended questions, but some people are. There were no STAR questions, it was a lot more like - tell me about yourself, your goals, and how you fit in here with DriveTime. The whole interview felt pretty informal, open, and friendly. I was first asked, "tell me who you are - personally and professionally."   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate for the starting hourly pay. Since I had no experience in a call center, or in the world of collections, I felt it was a good offer. However, after I left the recruiter called me and said they wanted to offer me more money. That is excellent.

Technical Support Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in July 2014.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter. There was a phone screening and then brought in for an in person interview and then a second in person interview to meet people outside the IT group.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, the pay scale is set.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group in May 2014.

I was impressed with the quickness of the whole process, which reflects the company culture of DriveTime. My interview process was concluded in 8 calendar days. I had 3 rounds of interview. First telephonic, second Skype interview and finally an onsite interview.

Telephonic round was relatively casual. It's duration was 16 minutes. It was more like a conversation. They were mainly interested in seeing how I would articulate my background on a very high level. Skype interview was a little intense. The questions were mostly related to Agile Scrum and my past experiences. Also, I was asked some basic SQL questions. The duration was around 1 hour. The interview process culminated with a grilling and long final round interview which lasted for 2 and a half hours. That's right! 7 people spoke to me, 2 at a time. Although the interview was long, it was not as intense as the skype round. Questions revolved around what I know about the company, the industry, Agile Methodologies, my education, the past projects I worked on, and my future aspirations, how I am a good fit for the company and so on.

Interview Questions
    • None (if you cover all the preparation points as per the job description).   Answer Question
    I was already offered a good starting salary for the location--Phoenix, AZ. Nonetheless I still negotiated albeit without much success.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at DriveTime Automotive Group.

There were many interviews. The process does not matter if you are internal or external. You will get to talk to many levels of senior management. The longer they keep you, the more likely you are to get the job.

Interview Questions
    • They asked for specific evidence of my existing portfolio.   Answer Question