Dropbox

Updated Mar 5, 2015
Updated Mar 5, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

First was a HR / technical interview. Spoke about 2 projects and answered questions on them. 25 min online technical interview. Question was "Given a pattern and a string - find if the string follows the same pattern Eg: Pattern : [a b b a], String : cat dog dog cat "

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox.

An arrogant, slightly disrespectful process from a company hitting 40% quota on their sales team. (as told to me directly by a sales manager)

Phone screen with recruiter, then phone role play with manager, and then in person. The in person interview is where I was turned off from this company. They are looking for experienced account executives but interview them like they're entry level reps. I wasn't told who I was interviewing with beforehand and when they came in one after the other (30 minutes each) they only told me their name and then launched right into it. This was not a scenario where they even knew my name before they sat down or had looked at my resume beforehand, it was very obvious they had probably 10 other people in other rooms and were rotating around.

No introductions aside from name and no handing over of business cards so each time I had to ask what each person did at the company so I knew what type of questions were appropriate. The tone of the interview basically came across as 'we're dropbox and we're special, what makes you important.' This is fine for entry level roles where you test the meddle of each rep, but this wasn't an interview for an entry level position. They had their list of questions and rarely touched on my unique experience nor seemed to really care about it. They also refused to disclose what comp looked like, but told me it was lower then market value because equity was involved. A company with over a billion dollars raised lowballing offers to experienced account executives is a red flag in my opinion.

From what I gathered the sales organization is in disarray and is still figuring out how to break into B2B. 40% of the team is hitting quota and most reps were promoted from their SDR team and aren't doing too great. Tons of organizational changes taking place all the time (they just switched from name accounts to territories for reps). Most of the sales managers I interviewed with were clearly very smart intelligent people, but didn't really understand sales (as evidenced by 40% quota attainment.) Not surprising given the history of the company, but taking an academic approach to sales is a naive mistake only somebody who's never really been in sales would do.

Despite being a household name, and having all the cool little benefits all the engineers in silicon valley love, the sales organization here seems a bit sophomoric. I declined moving forward in the process as I don't want to come into an environment where basic processes are still being figured out by a buncha guys who don't know how to sell the service properly yet.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when..., what was your worst and your best... a whole product management exercise where you name a few company's you love and then talk about you would run that business, average deal size, sales cycle, etc.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dropbox.

Applied through university job fair and got the reply. It was a 1 hour long interview with technical questions. Normal behavior questions followed by two questions related to log system. And then talked about the complexity of the algorithm.

Interview Questions
    • Normal behavior questions followed by two questions related to log system. And then talked about the complexity of the algorithm.   Answer Question

Dropbox Rotation Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dropbox.

Applied on campus. Had a 30 minute interview and then a questionnaire to fill out following the interview. The questionnaire was compiled of about 4 questions that you provided about a paragraph answer for. Overall, it was an okay process. Never clear how they felt about you during the interview process.

Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dropbox.

They were very informal. Took place at the Austin office which was under construction then.

1:1 interview with three different people. Took about two hours in total. Questions varied from my background, experience, skills to what they will require me to do.

Interview Questions
    • If you colleague opens Brad Pitts account and look at his pictures, what will you tell him? Will you inform your supervisor.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dropbox.

Had an hour long phone interview with one of their engineers. Was asked a question about a specific experience on my resume, then moved into pair-coding on a shared text editor. The technical question took the majority of the time. Spent the last 5 or so minutes for questions.

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through other source – interviewed at Dropbox in February 2015.

Was able to get the interview after several attempts and follow ups via email and phone. Typical discussion on how to break into the Enterprise space; experience, knowledge and ability to speak to C Level decision makers. Also how I did these things with my past experience, examples.

Interview Questions
    • Presentations: I explained how an AE should be able to present in several different ways, white board, PPT, basically prepare for the unexpected and many other items. This also included respecting the customer and dressing appropriately, wearing a suit. The conversation ended there, I was told that Dropbox employees do not wear suits including presenting to customers, they want to be the anti-suit company. The interviewer quickly interjected and stated that I would not be a fit for Dropbox.
      My next question, then how would you expect your employee to dress? Very casual he said, dressing how they would at the office. WOW, ok good luck in the Enterprise space.
      I knew the interview was over and I would not be a candidate nor would I want to work for a manager who expects his employees to dress casual when presenting to a potential customer, especially in the Enterprise space.
      Be assured Box does not have this same philosophy, just compare the websites, one is for serious business users and the other is for casual and/or non-serious users. Thought Dropbox was really wanted to move into the business space.

Answer Question

General Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox.

Nice people, but impersonal interview process of recording a video interview to hidden written questions. Smart people, and sought after company - so to a little something to stand out, whether it is your backdrop, environment, or dress.

Interview Questions
    • What is one technical skill you have learned recently?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox.

The online portion of the interview asked to implement a class registration system. Each student had a number of classes they were assigned to, and each class had a number of students. Functions were needed to add students, add classes, remove students, remove classes, etc. There was around a two hour time limit.

Dropbox Rotation Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dropbox.

Incredible people, culture, and process. A highly positive experience. They really make an effort to make sure that each interviewee that comes in has a holistic view of the company, and the San Fran office is gorgeous.