Dropbox

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

First was a HR / technical interview. Spoke about 2 projects and answered questions on them. 25 min online technical interview. Question was "Given a pattern and a string - find if the string follows the same pattern Eg: Pattern : [a b b a], String : cat dog dog cat "

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dropbox.

The onsite interview was supposed to be 3 hours: with 2 coding interviews (1 hr each) and 1 behavioral interview (1 hr)

My first interviewer, however, said that the original interviewer was sick and that he was filling in at the last moment. The first interview was originally supposed to be a specific front-end engineering interview. However, the questions asked were about algorithm design, data structures, etc and the interviewer didn't seem to want to discuss and sat there quietly. This was very unexpected.

I was better prepared for the second interview which also focused on data structures and algorithms.

After the second interview, I was told I was done for the day and that I would be called back for a deep-dive fronted-focused interview. They got in touch later to apologize and to restart the process by scheduling a 1-hr phone interview to give me another chance but I declined.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of names (strings) and the width of a line, design an algorithm to display them using the minimum number of lines.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox.

I applied online, and two weeks later I got an email from a recruiter asking me to complete a 90-minute timed online coding exercise from HackerRank. The coding exercise can be started at anytime within one week from the day they sent it to you. My coding exercise was about developing an online class registration system. I had a bunch of related functions that I had to implement (add a class, remove a class, enroll a student, remove a student, etc), and they give you the specifics for each function. I didn't think it was very difficult, but it was kind of long so I didn't get to implement everything. You can compile and run your program right on the coding exercise page. There are also test cases, and it will tell you which test cases you passed, which ones you got wrong, and what should be the correct output for those.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dropbox in January 2015.

I was contacted by DropBox recruiter. After I spoke with the recruiter about opportunity and culture, I decided to submit the resume. The entire process was really pleasant and fast. I was scheduled for the phone interview within few days after submitting the resume. The initial phone interview was technical but there was no coding. It was more of screening and testing knowledge of the candidate in various technical area (system, parallel programming, networking, basic data structure, algorithm, web infrastructure, tech-stack). It wasn't hard but wasn't easy either. My advice is study and understanding tradeoffs. Interviewer actually looked into your resume and try to ask questions relevant to your area of expertise. First 15 minutes was introductory and the rest was breadth technical. The interview result was revealed a day after.

Interview Questions
    • What is a conditional variable? When would you use thread vs process? How would you find out bottlenecks in your web app (both client and server sides)?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dropbox.

I was contacted by recruiter after submitting resume on Dropbox website, directing me to complete a coding challenge. I finished the challenge but did not have time to debug; I was notified a few days later that I didn't make the next stage. The challenge has an expiration time of a week, although they are flexible about making it on time.

Interview Questions
    • Coding challenge: develop interface for enrolling/unenrolling students in classes, checking that certain conditions are met (hackerrank).   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online and also had an employee referral. The recruiter was enthusiastic and scheduled an phone screen quickly. There were 2 interviewers evaluating and they were both very friendly. They seemed very interested in the past projects I've done and we chatted for more than 10 minutes on them. Then we moved onto coding questions. Even though the bar was really high and I came up empty-handed, overall it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Design a scalable system that keep tracks of how many visitors had gone on the Dropbox website in the past hour.   Answer Question

Legal Ops Analyst Interview

I submitted my resume and was asked to do a phone interview. The interview was fairly short and included mostly questions about Dropbox as a company and its future rather than anything related to the job I'd actually be performing. There were no surprising or random questions. It was a fairly standard phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • What should Dropbox be worried about with their current rapid expansion?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Called for on campus interview after the Career Fair. 30 mins of the first interview. Typical DS questions. I solved it but they wanted juniors. Do your data structures very well.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied several years ago, the process has changed significantly since then. I did one preliminary interview and then an all-day series of technical interview. After that I had dinner with the team. There were a few weeks of negotiation afterwards, but that was largely a function of my slow response time.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dropbox in December 2014.

After initial phone screen, the recruiter called me for onsite. They called me for a Senior level role. The interview was fine and most of the questions were simple if you have looked into glassdoor interview questions etc. The second interviewer showed up and said that he needs to think which question he plans to ask me. I was surprised as to they are not even prepared with the questions. Then after few minutes he asked me a questions ( some dynamic programming stuff). I was able to provide a good solution to the question. He did not ask even one question from my resume ( not even one !!!). It looked to me that they were looking for coders with also knowledge of algorithms. I kind of realized that your experience/understanding has no bearing on their decision making.