Dropbox Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.1

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dropbox in March 2015.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter through email within a couple days. She was very efficient and set up a skype video call for technical screen within a week. The tech screen Interviewer was also an SA. He was very sterile and asked questions from a list. Responses to the questions I asked him were very short and provided no insight. Experience did not give a good impression on the company.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions on internet and networking, scenario questions and questions based on past experience.   Answer Question

Software Engineer UI Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dropbox in March 2015.

Interview

One of my wife's friends is Dropbox employee, he submitted my resume to the hiring manager. A recruiter emailed me the next day to schedule a phone screen interview. We spent about 40 minutes on the phone talked about my past experience, the position, and the company. The recruiter told me he will talked to 2 teams' dev leads and ask them if they want to conduct a phone interview or a take home interview. The recruiter didn't ping me for 4 days, so I emailed him and ask for the status. He told me that he forgot to send me the take home interview and ask me they have 2 take home interviews to choose from. Since this is a front end position, I chose a "build a web page" interview (The other one is algorithm quiz). I spent almost 28 hours to create this web page in the 5 days period (well I still have my full time job). The project is not super hard but it is very time consuming. 5 days after I submitted the solution, the recruiter emailed me and said the team decided not to move forward with the interview process. I called the recruiter and ask for feedback so I can improve myself next time I have this type of interview. The recruiter was trying to be nice, but I got the idea that the guys who looked at my code think I copied and paste some of the CSS code from Boostrap framework. My defense would be that I was very familiar with Bootstrap, so some code I wrote could be inspired by Bootstrap. Hey if you take a close look at some responsive frameworks out there, they are all very similar. I also asked how much time did other candidates spend on the same take home interview. The recruiter told me some good one spent 8 or 12 hours. I didn't say it out loud, but I want to say "this is BS", no one could possibly finish the project within 8 hours. If he or she spend only 12 hours, I would be extremely impressive, and consider her/his solution is very buggy.

Overall, I learned a lot after I finished the project since I have limit exposure to CSS3 animation and transition. I am very proud of what I built. However, I am a little pissed because I spend numbers of hour on the interview and I think I deserve at least an in-person interview which I didn't get.

Interview Questions

• Take home interview. The recruiter send me instruction and assets that i can download. The project was to build a page for the dropbox business clients. He gave me a mock which contain the visual design of the page and font size, font color, and look and feel color scheme. I can use jQuery but not other 3rd party JS code.   1 Answer

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

3 Week process from start to finish
    Initial phone screen was okay, followed by recruiter emails to arrange in person interview at SF HQ. There were materials in a dropbox for use in an MBA style case study where they do a role play and you are to pitch dropbox for business to a media company.
    Experience was a bit odd as they have a non-disclosure policy. I typically like to course-correct during a customer engagement based on feedback. Without feedback it made for a somewhat awkward exchange.
    The crew there is very young and they are trying to get their processes in place to scale up/out for their new Enterprise offering where I could've helped. I think 'fit' is also important to them. I might've been a little too old, a little too hardware, and a little too 'big' company for them but it was an interesting experience in the new world of interviewing and I wish them the best.

Interview Questions

• How would you quantify TCO on the Dropbox for Business offering in order to help justify it's cost for internal approval during sales process?   Answer Question
    • In a Windows environment where you are using Dropbox with AD what happens to the data when a user leaves the company?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox in March 2015.

Interview

Phone screening. Dropbox seems only ask a few questions that they always ask. The can all be found on this website... On the second round, the interviewer found out that I have seen the first question, and thus went directly to the second one. I took an approach that is not very easy to implement, and didn't do well... interview these days are so fake

Interview Questions

• how to design a web counter that returns number of visitors in last 5 mins   Answer Question

Technical Operations Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was normal - however what happened after left a bitter taste in my mouth. Let's just say I was approached for a position, I was pitched hard, I was asked to come on site and then I was proceeded to be sold again on the idea of coming by not one, not two but three high level people at the company. When it was all said and done I was not offered a job but mostly due to what is sadly a popularity contest within their organization. I am deeply disappointed with the way things worked out not because I didn't get the job but mainly for the royal waste of time they put me through when in fact I was courted to consider a job I was never even looking for.
    Word to the wise. If you are considering a position at this company be prepared for a small yet highly political nightmare that will sadly not get any better. I speak only for the technical operations side of the house and cannot attest to the greater company as a whole. What it comes down to is this, if you as a company at this age and this valuation already think of yourself as that entitled then I can only imagine what will happen in 2, 3, 4 years down the road. Sadly Dropbox while a great product, their technical operations team is poorly managed and make the company suffer in the process..

Interview Questions

• What reservations do you have about coming to Dropbox   1 Answer

Position Within Finance Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 month process from start to finish:
    in-house recruiter reached out via LinkedIn
    1 hour phone interview with hiring manager
    1st round interview with key team members
    2nd round interview with cross-functional team members, commencing over breakfast
    last on-site was an invitation for a delicious and informal lunch

It is a long process, but the recruiters and coordinators did a great job of always keeping me informed throughout the process and worked around my scheduling concerns. I want to take a moment to commend them on their professionalism!

My advice to prospective applicants is to remain calm and patient. If you feel like you were destined to work at Dropbox, you will convey that energy during your interview and do just fine. :)

Interview Questions

• "Why Dropbox?"

Honestly, all of the interviews felt more like a conversation about goals, ideas, and learning lessons from past experiences. Nothing felt too high-pressure and the interviewers always made me feel very comfortable and relaxed :) If you feel comfortable and at ease at Dropbox, you will be genuinely excited about the possibility of working there and will perform just fine!

Do your research about the company!

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dropbox (Rochester, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

online coding test. the question is mentioned here. not difficult, but the online compiling and testing takes time. It's better to review the code before running the test.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

An arrogant, slightly disrespectful process from a company hitting 40% quota on their sales team. (as told to me directly by a sales manager)

Phone screen with recruiter, then phone role play with manager, and then in person. The in person interview is where I was turned off from this company. They are looking for experienced account executives but interview them like they're entry level reps. I wasn't told who I was interviewing with beforehand and when they came in one after the other (30 minutes each) they only told me their name and then launched right into it. This was not a scenario where they even knew my name before they sat down or had looked at my resume beforehand, it was very obvious they had probably 10 other people in other rooms and were rotating around.

No introductions aside from name and no handing over of business cards so each time I had to ask what each person did at the company so I knew what type of questions were appropriate. The tone of the interview basically came across as 'we're dropbox and we're special, what makes you important.' This is fine for entry level roles where you test the meddle of each rep, but this wasn't an interview for an entry level position. They had their list of questions and rarely touched on my unique experience nor seemed to really care about it. They also refused to disclose what comp looked like, but told me it was lower then market value because equity was involved. A company with over a billion dollars raised lowballing offers to experienced account executives is a red flag in my opinion.

From what I gathered the sales organization is in disarray and is still figuring out how to break into B2B. 40% of the team is hitting quota and most reps were promoted from their SDR team and aren't doing too great. Tons of organizational changes taking place all the time (they just switched from name accounts to territories for reps). Most of the sales managers I interviewed with were clearly very smart intelligent people, but didn't really understand sales (as evidenced by 40% quota attainment.) Not surprising given the history of the company, but taking an academic approach to sales is a naive mistake only somebody who's never really been in sales would do.

Despite being a household name, and having all the cool little benefits all the engineers in silicon valley love, the sales organization here seems a bit sophomoric. I declined moving forward in the process as I don't want to come into an environment where basic processes are still being figured out by a buncha guys who don't know how to sell the service properly yet.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time when..., what was your worst and your best... a whole product management exercise where you name a few company's you love and then talk about you would run that business, average deal size, sales cycle, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

Applied through university job fair and got the reply. It was a 1 hour long interview with technical questions. Normal behavior questions followed by two questions related to log system. And then talked about the complexity of the algorithm.

Interview Questions

• Normal behavior questions followed by two questions related to log system. And then talked about the complexity of the algorithm.   Answer Question

Dropbox Rotation Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview

Applied on campus. Had a 30 minute interview and then a questionnaire to fill out following the interview. The questionnaire was compiled of about 4 questions that you provided about a paragraph answer for. Overall, it was an okay process. Never clear how they felt about you during the interview process.