Dropbox

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dropbox.

Initial reach out from M & A team to founders, had to do a lot of compliance paperwork, but no proper interview. We just all got our offer letters a few weeks before closing. Not bad.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Dropbox.

Spoke with an engineer at a career fair about my previous experiences and dropped off my resume. I was asked to sign up for a 30 minute on campus interview that night for the following day. Following the interview, I was asked to do another 60 minute interview the next day. Each of these was about 20% questions about goals and prior experience and 80% coding for the rest. After solving the problem I could ask questions about Dropbox as a company. In two days I was asked to visit SF office for a full-day interview, which was four one-hour interviews, each with one engineer and a shadow interviewer. Lunch with another guy in the middle, wrapped up with a 45-minute general Q+A.

Each interviewer was very nice and helpful. They tried to present questions to which I already had some prior knowledge based on my completed coursework and experience, so I didn't particularly feel out of depth for any of it.

Interview Questions
    • Implement two functions that assign/release unique id's from a pool. Memory usage should be minimized and the assign/release should be fast, even under high contention.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox in November 2014.

I applied at a career fair and had a 30 minute technical interview in person the next day. The question was straightforward asking to find the possible permutations of a string, and I wrote up the code on a laptop due to lack of a whiteboard, but the style was the same as whiteboard coding.

A couple days later, I received an email to set up a 1 hour phone interview. I was asked how to find duplicate files in a filesystem, and I wrote up the code on coderpad.

Another few days later, I received an email to set up an on-site interview. This consisted of three technical interviews, lunch with an engineer, and an engineering Q&A. The questions were interesting and a bit more challenging than your average interview. Be sure to be able to analyze space complexity in terms of bytes, not just big-O notation. I don't think I can disclose the actual questions asked during the on-site, but they were all fairly straightforward and did not require fancy algorithm or data structure knowledge. While I did solve all the questions and follow-ups, I don't think we were always on the same page, and the interviewer had to nudge me in the direction they were hoping to go in.

I received an email less than a week later telling me that I would not be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions
    • List all duplicate files in a filesystem given the root directory.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dropbox.

A coding exercise, followed by technical interviews.

I was asked to solve a problem on HackerRank (hackerrank.com) within an hour. The problem is to determine whether a string s follows the "pattern" of another string p. For example, s="helloworldworldhello" follows p="abba". Note that there is no space separating the words.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dropbox.

I applied online, heard back maybe a month later. I was asked to complete an online coding exercise on hackerrank.com. It was timed, 1 hour long, code a solution to a single problem. Took about a week before they told me I would not be moving forward in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Something about pattern matching with strings.   View Answer

Dropbox Rotation Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox in November 2014.

A contact in the program wrote me a recommendation and sent the recruiter my resume. Heard back within a day that they wanted me to complete the Questionnaire. After I sent in the completed questionnaire, I heard back the next day that they wanted to schedule a Skype interview. Skype interview went well, the interviewer was very nice (to the point where I wasn't sure how well I had answered her questions..). Asked questions about how to implement a paid call-in service for Dropbox (how to charge, how to measure success, how to set it up, what types of customers would use it).

Interview Questions
    • How would Dropbox go about implementing a paid call-in service for users with questions about their accounts?   Answer Question

Dropbox Rotation Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dropbox in November 2014.

Dropbox was not the company I had hoped it would be. I felt like I was jumping through hoops the entire process and felt very used by the end of it. You have to do a questionnaire about the product to get an interview, then prepare a presentation for the in-office visit, then get drilled about User Ops during the interview. I am all for using these processes to weed out people that aren't passionate about the company, but it just felt like they had no idea what they were looking for (besides an Ivy League degree).

The worst part was the generic rejection email that flat out said you cannot ask for candidate specific feedback. So, you're telling me that after I've spent hours on hours preparing for this interview and flew to the other side of the country you refuse to give me any sort of feedback? I feel like they only fly out so many people to HQ so that they can hear their pitches for a million dollar idea. I've been rejected before - I get it. But something about the way Dropbox handled it just left a bad taste in my mouth and in retrospect, those probably aren't the type of people I would want to work with anyway.

If you don't believe me, watch the video of Dropbox employees trying to kick a bunch of low-income hispanic children off their neighborhood soccer field. Classy.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox in November 2014.

I had applied online , and I was very excited when I first received the mail that they found a match in for software engineer intern post. I had passed the first round which was the string matching question, But couldn't make it to the second round of it because the interviewer gave me rather difficult problem since I applied online and it was finding a duplicate folder and specifying the roots.

Three step process:
    1) on campus recruiting interview - interesting thought provoking questions like how would you prioritize responding to a lot of tickets
    2) questionnaire - a variety of different types of questions (everything from your experience with Dropbox to how you would respond to a certain email)
    3) on-site with 6 discussions with different people - everyone was very casual and friendly; it made for a (relatively) stress-free experience -- be passionate about the product and be ready to tackle some interesting questions regarding Dropbox!

Software Engineer Interview

Coding challenge lasting one hour. They give you a problem to solve and you need to choose your favorite language to start coding. Test cases are given so you can test them while coding the problem.