Dropbox

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.1

Dropbox Rotation Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dropbox.

I had to submit a resume, and then was given a link via email to an online questionnaire covering some customer service, sales, analytics, and personal topics. A few days after that I was contacted by email again to set up a skype interview, which was an incredible hassle. At the appointed time, the interviewer did not contact me promptly on skype and we had to sort it out via email. The interview was mostly behavioral, a little bit of resume overview, and some business questions, which I do not think I answered very well. I was sent a follow email a few days later telling me they'd dropped my application with no further information.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were a team leader in charge of expanding overseas and opening a Dropbox office in another country?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Interviewed for Account Manager position, focused on Enterprise Accounts. HR representatives were helpful throughout the interviewing process. However, those on the A/M team that I interviewed with lacked professionalism and industry expertise, which makes me feel concerned about future of this company.

First, they do a typical phone interview to gauge your experience/background. For second round, they encourage you to do a "coffee chat," which is more or less a informal interview at their crowded cafeteria. I felt the people the people I interviewed with were extremely arrogant and narcissistic. For a pretty senior position, they paired me with someone who came straight out of college and had very little experience on the team. When we spoke, she kept on looking at her phone and saying hi to her other colleagues, extremely unprofessional. During our conversation, she could not elaborate on the responsibilities of the role and had a very snobby attitude when I asked further. I knew right then and there this is not the type of culture I want to work in.

At the end, I had another offer that I went with. I understand this is a tech company and they are trying to appear "casual" in their interviewing approach; hence, holding it in a cafeteria. However, they need to make sure that the interviewers are actually trained, and not wasting people's times as though they are in a high school cafeteria.

Dropbox Rotation Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Dropbox.

Received an email asking when I can start the process, was sent a Questionnaire which had some questions that required me to give personal info, sales-like pitches, sample emails to clients, and explain difficult processes in an easy-to-understand way. Then I was emailed to set up a Skype interview, which was friendly but hard to tell what they wanted or where they wanted the conversation to go. Talked about Dropbox products and unlikely problems they had. Read their blog and be familiar with apps, products, features as the mindset may help.

Interview Questions
    • What were some initial unexpected problems with Dropbox mobile?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dropbox.

The onsite interview was supposed to be 3 hours: with 2 coding interviews (1 hr each) and 1 behavioral interview (1 hr)

My first interviewer, however, said that the original interviewer was sick and that he was filling in at the last moment. The first interview was originally supposed to be a specific front-end engineering interview. However, the questions asked were about algorithm design, data structures, etc and the interviewer didn't seem to want to discuss and sat there quietly. This was very unexpected.

I was better prepared for the second interview which also focused on data structures and algorithms.

After the second interview, I was told I was done for the day and that I would be called back for a deep-dive fronted-focused interview. They got in touch later to apologize and to restart the process by scheduling a 1-hr phone interview to give me another chance but I declined.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of names (strings) and the width of a line, design an algorithm to display them using the minimum number of lines.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox.

I applied online, and two weeks later I got an email from a recruiter asking me to complete a 90-minute timed online coding exercise from HackerRank. The coding exercise can be started at anytime within one week from the day they sent it to you. My coding exercise was about developing an online class registration system. I had a bunch of related functions that I had to implement (add a class, remove a class, enroll a student, remove a student, etc), and they give you the specifics for each function. I didn't think it was very difficult, but it was kind of long so I didn't get to implement everything. You can compile and run your program right on the coding exercise page. There are also test cases, and it will tell you which test cases you passed, which ones you got wrong, and what should be the correct output for those.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dropbox in January 2015.

I was contacted by DropBox recruiter. After I spoke with the recruiter about opportunity and culture, I decided to submit the resume. The entire process was really pleasant and fast. I was scheduled for the phone interview within few days after submitting the resume. The initial phone interview was technical but there was no coding. It was more of screening and testing knowledge of the candidate in various technical area (system, parallel programming, networking, basic data structure, algorithm, web infrastructure, tech-stack). It wasn't hard but wasn't easy either. My advice is study and understanding tradeoffs. Interviewer actually looked into your resume and try to ask questions relevant to your area of expertise. First 15 minutes was introductory and the rest was breadth technical. The interview result was revealed a day after.

Interview Questions
    • What is a conditional variable? When would you use thread vs process? How would you find out bottlenecks in your web app (both client and server sides)?   Answer Question

Account Executive Austin TX Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dropbox in January 2015.

I was contacted promptly after I submitted my resume by a very nice recruiter. I was set up within a couple of days for a phone interview. Spoke to a gentleman that only gave his first name, no last name given who conducted the interview over a speakerphone . I was difficult to hear him for one and I felt it was a bit disrespectful not to speak to me directly.

It seemed that he had no enthusiasm at all for what he was doing. It was one of the most bizarre interview experiences that I have ever had. He asked questions on how the business worked and how I would go about things. but seemed uninterested in my ability. Or even what experience that I would bring to the position. I asked him how he came to DropBox and why he liked it and just answered that they bought his company.

The interviewer was courteous and on time.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult but did seem irrelevant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox in January 2015.

Received an email saying Dropbox saw my resume at a Hackathon and was interested in pursuing candidacy. I was sent a coding challenge to do online (I generally value NDAs, so I can't say, but it's for sure a question that was already posted to this site in other interview reviews), took an hour and a half and was more of a "build-from-scratch" kind of thing rather than a tough algorithms puzzle. I got 18/18 on it, and was emailed two days later to set up a phone interview.

Phone interview, was asked a variation of the counting change problem, I wasn't quite able to code it up. Got the denial a few days later, as expected. Everyone was very nice and friendly, had a great chat with the interviewer also. I'd recommend giving this company a shot, there was NOT kool-aid at all like at most companies; just genuine engineers who seemed to want to hire great talent.

Interview Questions
    • Coding challenge with basic OOP concepts (encapsulation, testing).   Answer Question
    • (VARIATION OF:) Given a set of possible change, such as {1, 5, 10, 25}, and an amount such as 13, return all possible ways you can give change back to someone.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox in January 2015.

2 phone screens, 5 onsite interviews (1 day)

Each person asked me a single technical question that I then worked through. They were unique and somewhat difficult. I also got to bring in a project that I'd worked on in the past, and show that to one of the interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • I had a question about locking which was probably the trickiest.   Answer Question

Head of Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dropbox in January 2015.

a 30 min call with the hiring manager and an analysis case to be reviewed with the hiring manager. I spent a long time to solve the case and only spent 10 mins to discuss the results. Nobody gave me feedback which is I thought was disrespectful.