Dropbox

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dropbox in July 2011.

Interview Details – Received an email after applying to fill out a questionaire. Followed up by HR representative for preliminary interview filled with basic question about past. Got another interview and asked to be in front of a computer. Asked some questions about past and a programming question

Interview Question – Write a script that switches two words.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview Details – Process consisted of a casual phone call with one of the recruiters to get a feel for the role and responsibilities. This was followed by two phone screens with Technical Support engineers. Lastly, there was the on site interview in San Francisco. They were all friendly and professional. Sometimes there was a delay in communications, or last minute changes, but these were not huge inconveniences in any way. The first phone screen had me fill out some support tickets during the interview. A lot of the in-person interview was spent on personality/behavioral oriented questions and this was a great way to get a feel for the company culture. There were also coding questions and troubleshooting questions (e.g. if you had this support ticket or support issue at Dropbox, what would you tell the customer?). Some of the "technical" questions were suspect to me in terms of value. However, I do phone interviews in my current job so I'm a bit biased. In the end, the interviewers know what they are looking for in an answer and I respect that; plus, every company has their own unique style of interviewing and I think that's fine. Overall, the interview process was positive. Dropbox seems like an awesome company that is doing it's best to maintain it's small company culture while also growing to compete in the market, and I think they have a bright future ahead of them. I didn't get an offer but I did not do very well on some of the technical questions so I'm not too surprised. Advice to prospective hires: Just relax and be yourself; you'll need the technical background and skills to get through the first steps, but personality and cultural fit are both very important to Dropbox (as they should be for every company!).

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dropbox in June 2012.

Interview Details – - Applied via their website
- Received email following day looking to have phone interview.
- Had first phone interview with one of their more veteran techs. First 20 minutes of call consisted of some personality questions and non-dropbox related technical questions (OS preference, what technical support experience do you have, etc.). Last part of call consisted of answering real technical support questions via online text editor. Answered 2 support tickets and then shown some coding questions. Let interviewer know that I did not have an extensive background in coding but just the basics. He said that was fine and asked if I wanted to give them a shot anyway. I did and did alright on them; just not great.
- Contacted to have second phone interview
- Second phone interview was with another support tech. This call mainly consisted of just personality questions.
- Contacted that they would like to fly me out for in-person interview.
- They put me up in hotel for 3 days so that I would have time to explore and get a feel for the city
- On-site interview started at 11am. Was first given tour of office by HR recruiter and then taken to meeting room
- First interview was with one of their most veteran support techs. Consisted mostly of personality questions and asking my background and why I wanted to work at Dropbox.
- Second interview was with another tech who asked similar personality questions.
- Third interview consisted of two support techs. They asked same personality questions but then asked some Dropbox related support questions (i.e. How dropbox works, what should client do if this happens, etc.)
- Fourth interview consisted of two more support techs. Same personality questions and a couple Dropbox related support questions. Interview finished with Mastermind game question where you must guess combination of numbers based off previous guesses.
- On site interview process took roughly 4 hours. Then met with HR recruiter again who explained what the process was and that I would be contacted by the end of following week.
- Following week received email saying "After careful review, we have decided not to move forward at this time."

Overall experience was great compared to other reviewers. Although I did not get job, the Dropbox team was very kind. I was offered a drink and food by each interviewer and politely declined to the food as I had just eaten before interview. The Dropbox team seems like a very tight knit team with some very bright workers. I agree with some of other reviewers that they may be looking more for people that they want to hang out with then for their skills but the culture of the company is just as important as the product they produce; so I cannot fault them for doing that. I enjoyed the experience and though I walked away empty-handed, I hope the Dropbox team the best.

Interview Question – You work on 60th floor of 100 story building. You walk into your office and find a bomb sitting on your desk. It reads 90 seconds and is counting down. What do you do?   View Answers (2)

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dropbox in June 2012.

Interview Details – The company isn't looking for someone who would fulfill the job requirements extermely well but someone who they want to hang out with after work. It's simply absurd - companies like Dropbox are passing on qualified candidates because they are 'in the spotlight' right now and can interview as many people as they want, with complete disregard for candidates' time.

After reading the prior reviews on Glassdoor, I was not going to waste my time and effort applying to Dropbox - was influenced to apply and wish I had not wasted my time and effort. I thought the interview went really well and was a little shocked when I received the "thanks but no thanks" email.

My interview was scheduled for 11:15am and I was offered lunch as an afterthought.

My process was as follows:
1) apply online (resume and short cover letter)
2) contacted by recruiter and asked to fill out questionaire

1) first round with two guys from the tech support team
2) second round with two different guys from the team
3) third round was a conversation with a guy from the team
4) fourth round was an introduction from the team lead

Interview Questions

• Describe the path a file takes between the time it is uploaded and the time it is synced with another computer.   View Answer
  • Quick brain teaser. The numbers 1 through 6 are in play. Player A (the interviewer) chooses 4 of these numbers and arranges them in a given order. Player B (interviewee) has to guess the number that Player A has written down. After each guess, Player A tells B how many digits B has correct and how many of those digits are in the correct location. For example, if the number A wrote down is '2345' and B writes down '5346', A responds 'you have 3 of the digits correct and 2 of the locations correct'.

This goes on until B writes down the correct number.
      View Answer
  • Teach a 5 year old (someone who only knows basic addition or subtraction) what a prime number is and how to tell if a given number is a prime number.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dropbox in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online through their site, was contacted by a recruiter and asked to fill out a questionnaire which included sample tickets to solve. After that, a phone interview was setup where one of the leads spoke to me and mainly focussed on current experience. Was told to expect a follow-up 2nd phone screen, but instead was called on-site. On-site interview was quite long, 4 sessions - the 1st and 2nd were with 2 engineers at a time. 1st interview did not go well, since they focussed on dropbox related features that I wasn't familiar with. 2nd interview - had to fill out responses to as many DB tickets as possible within 15 minutes, i went with the simple ones as much as i could.. 3rd and 4th were single person interviews, both focussing on general concepts and asked to talk about some recent project. overall, felt it went well but was a little dejected when the rejection email came a week later.

Interview Question – Given a list of tickets and was asked to reply back to as many as possible within 15 minutes, had access to the dropbox help forum if needed.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dropbox in March 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online.
Answer some basic support questions via email which I imagine were designed to weed out people who didn't understand the product.
Completed 2 phone interviews with 2 pretty friendly guys. There was a chat response test while on the phone.
Subsequently was invited to come onsite and interview with 6 different people.
Asked some IQ questions and maths trivia.

Interview Question – Explain HTTP packet to layman   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dropbox in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position and got the feeling they were very excited and that I was a very good candidate for the job. I had to do several interviews by phone and they all went very well. After that they invited me to come to their office in San Francisco for a live interview. I went over there and they had arranged several interviews for me. The first few interviews went very well. The people I spoke with were friendly. I noticed that I was more experienced than several employees and some of them were working there on their first job. The last interview however was with an engineer that had been working there since the start of Dropbox. He was very 'cool', distant and in my opinion even a bit arrogant. Not at all how all the other people had treated me. I easily noticed from the people around me that he made them very nervous. He gave me the task to solve a few questions out of a total of 20 which were on his laptop. I could choose which ones I wanted to answer but by the time I had read through the questions he told me I only had a few minutes left since he forgot to tell me it was a timed assignment. I managed to do only a few of them since the questions were really hard and could not be answered quickly. Some were even in Korean or Japanese.
When the time was up he quickly closed the laptop in front of me and took off. The person from HR came in right after that and said that I'd get an answer in the next two weeks after a group decision. I was pretty confident that I'd get the job since I was better than some of the current employees (and without being arrogant: some of those employees clearly realized that when interviewing me) and since I had a perfect profile for the job. Only the last one wasn't a success but I didn't think they'd hold it against me since I wasn't told from the start that it was timed and you would already have to be experienced at working at Dropbox since the questions were very specific to the product.
I got an email the next week saying they would not move forward at this time. No further details were given as this appears to be their policy, not in the least to avoid lawsuits I presume.
All in all a missed opportunity for both me and Dropbox since I would have loved to work there. I look at it as mainly their loss since I started working at Facebook a few weeks ago. And FB doesn't hire you unless you're really good at what you do, so go figure...
My advise: stay away from these clowns. Most of them are very friendly but it seems that the higher up the ladder, the more arrogance you'll find. It's a pity for such a fine startup with less than 100 employees to be in such a HR disaster already.

Interview Question – Solve 20 questions in a timed assignment   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dropbox in October 2011.

Interview Details – First, I applied online and 4 hours later I was emailed by the recruiting team to fill out a questioner which took about 6 hours to complete. After that I was emailed again and a phone interview was scheduled. The 1st phone interview took about 30 minutes. It was great. A week later I was emailed again for another phone interview. The 2nd phone interview was simply bad. The guy that I was talking to was not professional, he did not listen to what I was trying to say and he just kept interrupting. Right at that moment I knew that I was not going to get hired. Few hours later after the 2nd phone interview I got an email that they will not hire me. From my point of view, please dont get your hopes up even though you know your stuff such as OOP.

Interview Questions

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview Details – Applied online through the Dropbox website, and was contacted by a recruiter the next day. I was given a questionnaire to fill out, and a recruiter followed up a few hours later to schedule a phone call with an engineer. The phone call consisted of standard job interview questions and personality ones like which OS I preferred, etc. Then they had me answer sample problem tickets. I was notified a few days later that they weren't going to proceed with the process. Overall a positive experience even though I was not offered the job. Recruiters were very nice and friendly and responded in a timely manner. I did get the vibe, like the other posters here, that the people seem to be more interested in hiring people who they would want to hang out with rather than people who are extremely well qualified. I tried to give answers that I thought they would like, but I'd suggest to other people to just be yourself and relax.

Interview Question – No unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dropbox.

Interview Details – Applied on their website.
Received an email regarding a questionnaire that I needed to fill out.
Had three phone interviews with Dropbox. Each phone interview consisted of personality questions, technical background/questions, and other questions.

After these phone interview, I was contacted that they want to fly me out to the HQ.

On-site interview began with a tour of the HQ, which was a beautiful place.
On-site interview consisted of two rounds of two interviewers. They asked a number questions ranging from personality questions and how I first started using Dropbox to technical questions and even doing sample support tickets.

Within two days, I received an email, saying that they are going to move on with someone else.

Overall, the people at Dropbox are very nice and friendly. I had a great time talking with them.

Interview Question – How would you describe the process of making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to an alien?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dropbox

Worked for Dropbox? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dropbox Technical Support Engineer interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dropbox employees and interview candidates.