Duff & Phelps

Very Difficult Interview

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2010.

Interview Details – DP came and recruited at my university. After initially getting turned down for an interview, I spoke with the recruiter on campus and asked them to reconsider me for the position. They did, and an interview was set up for later that week.

At an info session before the interviews, DP told us to make sure we knew our technical information, because thats how most applicants get killed during the interview. Along with that, DP was definitely one of the toughest interviews I've had this season, asking very specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time, either in a professional or academic setting, where you had a public speaking opportunity and you failed. And then tell me how you learned from that and how you would not make that mistake again.   Answer Question
  • What is WACC? CAPM? Free Cash Flow?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Investment Banking Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through my campus' job portal. Heard back relatively quickly.

I was destroyed in the interview. Was interviewed by someone who had been doing IB for 10 years.
You have to be quick on your feet and be able to answer financial questions. LIke how do you calculate Free Cash Flows, where can you find the components of EBITDA, how does *something I can't remember* affect EBITDA -- does it go up or down? There were several other questions. The interviewer was holding back laughing at me because I wasn't doing so well. He should have stopped asking me finance questions after the first couple. After a couple more technical questions, he asked behavioral questions.

"What would you do if you were about to give a presentation but found an error in your slides, and you didn't have time to go back and fix it"

Something about what if you had 2 group projects on your plate and you absolutely had to sacrifice effort on one of the group projects (2 different groups). What would you do?

I don't mean for this review to scare anyone away. In my defense, I am NOT a finance major. I'm an Econ major, which you can easily go through and graduate with out having taken a single finance course. Although, I have taken 1 or 2.
Additionally, I did not prepare for this interview as I had a midterm literally 10 minutes before I had the interview (interview was on campus).
Also, I have absolutely no interest in being an Investment Banker. I did not take the interview seriously, I accepted the interview for practice.

Interview Question – how do you calculate Free Cash Flows, where can you find the components of EBITDA, how does *something I can't remember* affect EBITDA -- does it go up or down? Something about a leverage buyout. Something about M&A and valuation.   Answer Question

Dispute Consulting Analyst Interview

Dispute Consulting Analyst
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in January 2011.

Interview Details – Went through a rigorous round of interviews from 9 to 12pm, but was primarily behavioral. Everyone I met was very nice and and firm looks like it has a respectable management in place. There was 3 different interviews for thirty minutes each.

Interview Question – Name a Weakness of yours.   Answer Question

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Real Estate Analyst
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process involved a round of on-campus interview and a "super day" round of in-office interviews with the company recruiter and the real estate team consisting of 2 analysts, 1 vice president, and 1 managing director at the time. The questions consisted primarily of behavioral and experiential questions as opposed to purely technical questions. The people interviewing for the business valuation analyst positions were asked more techinical questions related to financial statement analysis and cash flow modelling. Though questions like those have shown up in the past, they did not come up during my interview.

Interview Question – Give your assessment of the present condition of the commercial real estate market (regional or national - you pick) or capital markets in general as well as where you see them going over the near-term.   View Answer

Dispute Consultant Interview

Dispute Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting, and received an email to schedule an on-campus interview. Met with a VP of Dispute Consulting and was asked questions both behavioral based and technical. I suggest knowing how to assess a stock and how you would go about investing in the right one. Be personable and expect to dig deep into your answers.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?
What was the worst presentation you ever gave?
A time you failed?
  Answer Question

Dispute Consulting Analyst Interview

Dispute Consulting Analyst
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in December 2011.

Interview Details – Starts out with a phone interview; pretty simple questions, just getting to know you. Then a 4 round 30 minute each in-office interview. Each interviewer asked you some finance-based and behavior-based questions and then allowed you to answer questions of your own. They asked questions about your resume as well.

Interview Question – If company expected that they were going to grow at 5% over the next five years; what ways could you approve or disprove their forecast?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered and I accepted

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2012.

Interview Details – On Campus Interview. The interviewer was a VP from Investment Banking division. Straight forward. Got one valuation question wrong and he actually spent time and explained it to me.

Interview Question – Very detailed valuation and technical questions   View Answer

Valuation Intern Interview

Valuation Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in July 2010.

Interview Details – asked technical questions

what is valuation?
what is cost of capital?
what is market premium?
future value present value equation?
what does capm ask for ?

Interview Question – what are your closing arguements. why should i choose you for this position   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 1.know your finance concepts
2.research current events discuss about em

Analyst Interview

Analyst

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2010.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of a couple of behavioral questions and some technical, finance related questions. the technical questions asked things like the effect of changing depreciation expense has on the bottom line, and what is beta?

Interview Question – What is Beta?   Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

Valuation Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in November 2008.

Interview Details – They look for technical and detail oriented people with good leadership/team building skills, solid knowledge of financial terminology and friendliness.

Interview Questions

• Explain which company will have higher cost of capital: technology or retail manufacturing.   View Answer
  • What is CAPM, Beta?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no

Worked for Duff & Phelps? Contribute to the Community!