Duff & Phelps Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

3.1

Valuation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

The process was very fast for the first round interview. The interview itself was only 30 minutes and on campus. I got the interview through a career fair. It was mostly conversational with a few technical questions regarding valuation methods and techniques...mostly DCF model.

Interview Questions

• Starting with income statement how would you come up with the value for Cash on the balance sheet?   Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2014.

Interview

One on one interview, the guy was mostly reading off of a script with questions. The interviewer did not even work in the same department that I was interviewing for. Took about a week to get the first interview and another week to hear back.

Interview Questions

• A lot of technical financial questions: Cost of equity, WACC, Beta. A bunch of generic questions such as teamwork and ethical questions.   Answer Question

Strategic Value Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

first round interview on campus, 45 min. Most behavioral questions (tell me about a situation ...) The technical question is about probability, expected value etc.
    After a week, went to Palo Alto office for a super day. 4 back-to-back 45 min interviews, one of them is a technical interview, the question is about basic probability. Others are behavioral similar to the first round.

Application

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting and heard back over a week. I actually interviewed with this firm twice before. Last year they did not hire anybody in the LA office so I'd say they really hire based off need. Interviewer was very friend and it consisted of a mix between behavioral and technical questions. Nothing too difficult unless you don't know your valuation.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a DCF model.
      How do you get cost of capital?
      What is EBITDA?

Basic valuation questions so know your methodologies!

Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was great it was so nice to meet everyone on the team that I would be working with after my first phone screen. Coming into the office was great and it really gave me a feel for the company.

Valuation Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

I applied online. After exactly one week, I received correspondence from their HR for a phone interview. The interview was scheduled 2 weeks after I received the correspondence. During the interview, I was asked to tell a little about myself, and they asked questions about what classes I like the most and least and specific questions from my resume.

Valuation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Took 2-3 months to reply. After I received the phone call, I had a phone interview within a week and heard back that I made it passed the phone interview within the next two or three weeks. After that I interviewed with 6 VPs or Directors. It got repetitive but it is important to display your general intelligence consistently to all who interview you.

Interview Questions

• If you buy a bat and a ball for $1.10 and the bat is a dollar more than the ball, how much is the ball.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duff & Phelps (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

applied through school portal & interviewed on campus, was called back for a second round. Mostly fit questions to see how you fit into the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you value a brand?   1 Answer

Analyst, Corporate Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Recruiter came to my school. Talked to him, sent my resume over to him. Within in two weeks they contacted me, saying they wanted to setup a phone interview with me. After two weeks of them postponing the initial interview it finally happened. They even contacted at like 10 on a Saturday night to postpone. The VP was very casual in his style interview. Nothing really crazy, but I prepared for all the complicated stuff and the simple accounting questions ended up doing me in.

1. If you have negative net income can you still be CF positive?
    2. How do you go about valuing a company?
    3. Tell me about yourself.
    4. Ability/willingness to work long hours.
    5. Have you used Capital IQ
    Not in that order.

Interview Questions

• If your working capital ratio is 15%, while the rest of your competitors is around 12%. What can you do to lower your working capital?   Answer Question

Valuation Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

I was called for a phone interview and asked a few behavioral questions, but most of the questions were fairly simple technical/ conceptual questions.

Interview Questions

• Describing Fundamental analysis, market analysis, how to get FCF and what is CAPM.   Answer Question