Duff & Phelps

Updated Dec 8, 2014

3.1

Corporate Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in April 2014.

Family connection with a Managing Director; sent them a resume in late January, heard back in late February, finally got lunch (with the MD and a Director) in late March, interviewed in late April. 30 min with a VP, 30 min with a VP, 30 min with a Director (but he left after 15 min to get a flight). They didn't volunteer me a 'yes' or a 'no' regarding an offer; after 2.5 weeks I e-mailed HR and got the boiler plate 'no offer' e-mail. HR has yet to reimburse the expense of getting to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The second VP asked me to divide 3,500,000 by 10,000 mentally, on the spot.   Answer Question

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Phone Interview and then office interview

Intern Interview

The manager did screen interview and they dont do sponsorship. The interview was pretty casual, and HR is pretty nice.

Transfer Pricing Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

First contacted them through career fair and applied online. Had a first round interview on campus and the second round interview was at their office. Finally, I received phone calls throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • I had a group business case question with other potential candidates. It involved working closely with other candidates at first, and then a written portion. Besides that, very behavioral interview questions because nobody expects undergraduate students to be fluent in this field.   Answer Question

They would have been an excellent company to work for. I simply received a slightly better offer elsewhere.

Valuation Advisory Analyst Interview

it was a phone interview. The person was really really nice. both behaviour and technical, very luckly, got to second round.

Interview Questions
    • many questions regarding behaviour, you need examples for each one.   Answer Question

Dispute Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Applied through campus recruiting, and received an email to schedule an on-campus interview. Met with a VP of Dispute Consulting and was asked questions both behavioral based and technical. I suggest knowing how to assess a stock and how you would go about investing in the right one. Be personable and expect to dig deep into your answers.

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses?
      What was the worst presentation you ever gave?
      A time you failed?

Answer Question

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2013.

Applied through my campus' job portal. Heard back relatively quickly.

I was destroyed in the interview. Was interviewed by someone who had been doing IB for 10 years.
    You have to be quick on your feet and be able to answer financial questions. LIke how do you calculate Free Cash Flows, where can you find the components of EBITDA, how does *something I can't remember* affect EBITDA -- does it go up or down? There were several other questions. The interviewer was holding back laughing at me because I wasn't doing so well. He should have stopped asking me finance questions after the first couple. After a couple more technical questions, he asked behavioral questions.

"What would you do if you were about to give a presentation but found an error in your slides, and you didn't have time to go back and fix it"

Something about what if you had 2 group projects on your plate and you absolutely had to sacrifice effort on one of the group projects (2 different groups). What would you do?

I don't mean for this review to scare anyone away. In my defense, I am NOT a finance major. I'm an Econ major, which you can easily go through and graduate with out having taken a single finance course. Although, I have taken 1 or 2.
    Additionally, I did not prepare for this interview as I had a midterm literally 10 minutes before I had the interview (interview was on campus).
    Also, I have absolutely no interest in being an Investment Banker. I did not take the interview seriously, I accepted the interview for practice.

Interview Questions
    • how do you calculate Free Cash Flows, where can you find the components of EBITDA, how does *something I can't remember* affect EBITDA -- does it go up or down? Something about a leverage buyout. Something about M&A and valuation.   Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morristown, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morristown, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2013.

Applied online and got a HR letter to interview with VP. Asked about experience and financial accounting problems. Very friendly, but asked to reconsider my application since background doesn't match.

Dispute Consulting Analyst Interview

Applied through University website. First round of interviews was mostly behavioral questions. Second round consisted of 4-5 in-office interviews. The company took recruits out to dinner the night before interviews. Second round was mostly behavioral but there were a few technical questions

Interview Questions
    • What valuation method would you use to value a company/asset?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2013.

1st round interview was 1:1 on campus. 2nd round was at their office in Chicago.

Interview Questions
    • How do you get equity value from enterprise value?   View Answer