Duff & Phelps Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

3.1

Valuation Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2014.

Applied through campus recruiting and heard back over a week. I actually interviewed with this firm twice before. Last year they did not hire anybody in the LA office so I'd say they really hire based off need. Interviewer was very friend and it consisted of a mix between behavioral and technical questions. Nothing too difficult unless you don't know your valuation.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through a DCF model.
      How do you get cost of capital?
      What is EBITDA?

Basic valuation questions so know your methodologies!

Answer Question

Valuation Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

I applied online. After exactly one week, I received correspondence from their HR for a phone interview. The interview was scheduled 2 weeks after I received the correspondence. During the interview, I was asked to tell a little about myself, and they asked questions about what classes I like the most and least and specific questions from my resume.

Valuation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in July 2014.

Applied online. Took 2-3 months to reply. After I received the phone call, I had a phone interview within a week and heard back that I made it passed the phone interview within the next two or three weeks. After that I interviewed with 6 VPs or Directors. It got repetitive but it is important to display your general intelligence consistently to all who interview you.

Interview Questions
    • If you buy a bat and a ball for $1.10 and the bat is a dollar more than the ball, how much is the ball.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duff & Phelps.

applied through school portal & interviewed on campus, was called back for a second round. Mostly fit questions to see how you fit into the company.

Valuation Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

I was called for a phone interview and asked a few behavioral questions, but most of the questions were fairly simple technical/ conceptual questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describing Fundamental analysis, market analysis, how to get FCF and what is CAPM.   Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

It took them a very long time to initiate the phone interview. The interviewer seemed bored when he interviewed me, and the so-called "technical questions" were quite silly.

Interview Questions
    • What is an example of a time when you had trouble working in a team?   Answer Question

Analyst, Corporate Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in April 2014.

Recruiter came to my school. Talked to him, sent my resume over to him. Within in two weeks they contacted me, saying they wanted to setup a phone interview with me. After two weeks of them postponing the initial interview it finally happened. They even contacted at like 10 on a Saturday night to postpone. The VP was very casual in his style interview. Nothing really crazy, but I prepared for all the complicated stuff and the simple accounting questions ended up doing me in.

1. If you have negative net income can you still be CF positive?
    2. How do you go about valuing a company?
    3. Tell me about yourself.
    4. Ability/willingness to work long hours.
    5. Have you used Capital IQ
    Not in that order.

Interview Questions
    • If your working capital ratio is 15%, while the rest of your competitors is around 12%. What can you do to lower your working capital?   Answer Question

Corporate Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in April 2014.

Family connection with a Managing Director; sent them a resume in late January, heard back in late February, finally got lunch (with the MD and a Director) in late March, interviewed in late April. 30 min with a VP, 30 min with a VP, 30 min with a Director (but he left after 15 min to get a flight). They didn't volunteer me a 'yes' or a 'no' regarding an offer; after 2.5 weeks I e-mailed HR and got the boiler plate 'no offer' e-mail. HR has yet to reimburse the expense of getting to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The second VP asked me to divide 3,500,000 by 10,000 mentally, on the spot.   Answer Question

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Phone Interview and then office interview

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in March 2014.

Phone interview, very technical questions. Know your financial models. Have working knowledge of energy industry. Questions about inputs to an oil rig.Contracting if projects. Risk level of projects. The guy who interviewed me was in a car dealership at the time getting his car fixed, so distractions were very prevalent. He answered all my questions, but it was just bad to say the least.