Duff & Phelps

Getting the Interview

57 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Campus, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interviewer was really nice. Actually replies to thank you letters. Asked mostly technical questions. What are the different valuation methods, explain DCF model. Then, as the explaining starts, he went into details and asked questions in the explaination given.

Interview Question – Please try to be as detailed as possible regarding the technical question, business case, etc.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in February 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process was very efficient. The turn around time from my application submission to the phone screening was three days. I was then flown across the country the very next weekend for a Super Day. Twenty-four hours after the interview I was given an offer.

Interview Question – The most difficult, or rather most broad, question I received: What is your outlook on the commercial real estate market in Suburban areas over the next 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was fairly rigid. They hire immediate graduates who don't exactly have the most leverage, even with 3 other offers in hand. I wouldn't expect anybody to move up their salary more than 5k in negotiations

Philadelphia, PA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online for the position and heard back in late March about phone screen. Did the first round which was a mix of fit and technicals. Heard back about second round a week later and set up an interview for the following week. Final round was three 1:1 interviews. Very friendly people who really want candidates who like the Philly area and are into Valuation (I am). Got back to me a while after interview to say they like me for the company and would like for interview with DC office, but I already accepted another offer by this time. Great place to work, if given the chance.

Interview Question – How would you value a company   View Answer

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in July 2010.

Interview Details – There was an on-campus interview, which was very straight forward and just asked you to go over your experience/skills. A few people got the 2nd round interview which consisted of 5 one-on-one interviews with VP's and above.

Again, there wasn't many technical questions. It was merely going through your resume and triyng to relate it to their position. Overall, pretty easy interview but they took a while to get back.

Interview Question – No technical questions. Just why you want the job, how your experience will make you successful, etc.   Answer Question

Financial Engineering Internship Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straight forward. They start off by asking you some basic questions off of your resume followed by some questions on pricing derivatives. They ask tough questions but they are all questions that one should know if they understand the MFE curriculum well.

Interview Questions

• How many simulations would it take to get an accuracy of less than or equal to 1%   View Answers (2)
  • Some question about the value of delta of an option given some basic parameter values. This was one of the standard questions you see in "Heard on the street"   Answer Question

Strategic Value Advisory Analyst Interview

San Jose, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of both fit and technical questions. The fit questions were relatively standard (Tell me about yourself, Describe a time when you lead a group, etc.). The technical questions were strictly statistics related. The technical question that I was given was about the probability relating to dices.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to manage multiple projects that overlapped each other.   Answer Question

Dispute Consultant Interview

Dispute Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2011.

Interview Details – There was a group of us from various schools that came to Chicago. We each were rotated around the office in a series of 5 interviews.

Interview Question – Describe for me how you would value a company?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in June 2011.

Interview Details – I sat down with two managing directors and two associates for about a half hour each. They described how the position would go and asked me a few technical questions. How would you analyze a financial institution compared to a comapany that manufactured widgets? The interview itself was not that difficult.

Interview Question – How would you analyze a bank versus a company that manufactures widgets?   Answer Question

Strategic Value Advisory Interview

Palo Alto, CA

Interview Details – Starts off with some behavioral questions.
Main focus of the phone interview was on technical side.
All the technical questions were related to probability.

Interview Question – Many questions dealing with dice   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Analyst
New York, NY

Interview Details – I did a first round interview on campus. Then trekked to NYC for second round through Amtrak. Started at 10 in the morning with a group case interview then had about 5 more one on one interviews. The office is pretty nice; its the building across from Blackrock's building and has a bunch of big firms in there such as Morgan Stanley. The people are nice and cool to hangout with.

Interview Questions