Duff & Phelps

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

3.1

Dispute Consulting Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Recruiting was done through my school's career center website. Normal resume and cover letter drop. First was a phone interview, and then a superday which consisted of 4 back to back interviews. Surprisingly no technical questions

Dispute Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in August 2013.

Applied through on-campus recruiting. I was contacted by the company-wide HR person via email who scheduled a phone screening with a director at the local office. Followed up with marathon interview with four people: started with two people with my position, then two separate interviews with vice presidents, and a final interview with a director (we rotate who does interviews at the office, so you could be interviewed by a different level of employee, but usually it is around five people.) I received an offer approximately one week later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult, as long as you know your stuff you will be fine.   Answer Question
    Minimal

Dispute Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in November 2012.

I got a first round interview through career services at my university. I was invited to a 2nd round at their HQ in Chicago with about 10 other applicants. They had a dinner the night before the interviews and the interviews consisted of 5 different 30-minute conversations in various offices with different employees.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the effect of depreciation on the income statement, statement of cash flows, and the balance sheet.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2012.

Applied online through on-campus portal. Got an email for a phone interview for the next day. Had the phone interview which was standard behavioral questions and then some technical questions about valuation. Pretty standard DCF, FCFF vs. FCFE, etc. Got a call for a second round interview - was going to be 4 interviews with 2 people each and a case study with a group. Had a dinner before hand where I was able to meet about half of my interviewers and speak with entry level analysts about their process. Interview "super day" came, they fed us breakfast and then I had the case study first. In the case study its you and two others, the case was pretty standard case, merger situation with lots of financial statements, etc. After that I was immediately taken to my interviews since I had had an phone interview for the first round, others had a break. Interviews all went the same, they all asked about a time I had valued something so I ended up talking about the same project over all 4 interviews. There were 7 of us and they said they would only take 1.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2012.

The interviewer was really nice. Actually replies to thank you letters. Asked mostly technical questions. What are the different valuation methods, explain DCF model. Then, as the explaining starts, he went into details and asked questions in the explaination given.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2012.

Dropped Resume for On Campus interview. Was invited for the interview. The interviewer was a senior manager. The interviewer went over my resume asked questions what I did here. why finance, why valuation.

Interview Questions
    • Very casual interview and then walk me through valuing a soda company. how would you calculate WACC, cost of equity, forecasting, beta. what do you think cost of debt is? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your valuation skills.

My advice: know your valuation concepts, understand finance concepts.

Answer Question

Analyst Interview

On Campus Interview. The interviewer was a VP from Investment Banking division. Straight forward. Got one valuation question wrong and he actually spent time and explained it to me.

Interview Questions
    • Very detailed valuation and technical questions   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in April 2012.

Applied online for the position and heard back in late March about phone screen. Did the first round which was a mix of fit and technicals. Heard back about second round a week later and set up an interview for the following week. Final round was three 1:1 interviews. Very friendly people who really want candidates who like the Philly area and are into Valuation (I am). Got back to me a while after interview to say they like me for the company and would like for interview with DC office, but I already accepted another offer by this time. Great place to work, if given the chance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in February 2012.

Hiring process was very efficient. The turn around time from my application submission to the phone screening was three days. I was then flown across the country the very next weekend for a Super Day. Twenty-four hours after the interview I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult, or rather most broad, question I received: What is your outlook on the commercial real estate market in Suburban areas over the next 5 years?   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was fairly rigid. They hire immediate graduates who don't exactly have the most leverage, even with 3 other offers in hand. I wouldn't expect anybody to move up their salary more than 5k in negotiations

Strategic Value Advisory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in December 2011.

The interview consisted of both fit and technical questions. The fit questions were relatively standard (Tell me about yourself, Describe a time when you lead a group, etc.). The technical questions were strictly statistics related. The technical question that I was given was about the probability relating to dices.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to manage multiple projects that overlapped each other.   Answer Question