Duff & Phelps

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Engineering Internship Interview

Financial Engineering Internship
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straight forward. They start off by asking you some basic questions off of your resume followed by some questions on pricing derivatives. They ask tough questions but they are all questions that one should know if they understand the MFE curriculum well.

Interview Questions

• How many simulations would it take to get an accuracy of less than or equal to 1%   View Answers (2)
  • Some question about the value of delta of an option given some basic parameter values. This was one of the standard questions you see in "Heard on the street"   Answer Question

Strategic Value Advisory Analyst Interview

Strategic Value Advisory Analyst
San Jose, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of both fit and technical questions. The fit questions were relatively standard (Tell me about yourself, Describe a time when you lead a group, etc.). The technical questions were strictly statistics related. The technical question that I was given was about the probability relating to dices.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to manage multiple projects that overlapped each other.   Answer Question

Dispute Consultant Interview

Dispute Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2011.

Interview Details – There was a group of us from various schools that came to Chicago. We each were rotated around the office in a series of 5 interviews.

Interview Question – Describe for me how you would value a company?   Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

Valuation Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in June 2011.

Interview Details – I sat down with two managing directors and two associates for about a half hour each. They described how the position would go and asked me a few technical questions. How would you analyze a financial institution compared to a comapany that manufactured widgets? The interview itself was not that difficult.

Interview Question – How would you analyze a bank versus a company that manufactures widgets?   Answer Question

Strategic Value Advisory Interview

Strategic Value Advisory
Palo Alto, CA

Interview Details – Starts off with some behavioral questions.
Main focus of the phone interview was on technical side.
All the technical questions were related to probability.

Interview Question – Many questions dealing with dice   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Analyst
New York, NY

Interview Details – I did a first round interview on campus. Then trekked to NYC for second round through Amtrak. Started at 10 in the morning with a group case interview then had about 5 more one on one interviews. The office is pretty nice; its the building across from Blackrock's building and has a bunch of big firms in there such as Morgan Stanley. The people are nice and cool to hangout with.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2011.

Interview Details – No technicals, all behavioral

Interview Question – Why do you want to become an investment banker at D&P?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in January 2009.

Interview Details – They first contacted me through e-mail to set up a time to have a phone interview. I spoke with the director of the department. Asked questions from behavioral to technical including finance and accounting questions. The technical questions were straight forward, but the behavioral were somewhat hard behavioral questions.

Interview Question – When was a time you didn't follow the rules?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2010.

Interview Details – I had a preliminary phone interview with Duff and Phelps a few months ago. I had gotten an e-mail that said they wanted to conduct a phone interview with me that day. I was in class and responded from my blackberry asking if they could do it another day or at least an hour after I got out of class to give myself some time to prepare. They said it had to be that day because they were moving along in the interview process and scheduled me for 2:30, I got out of class at 2:15. I complied figuring it would be more of a personality interview if they were rushing me this much. I had barely walked through my door when my phone rang. It was fine they asked some personality questions, but then started asking me about the company and some more technical financial and accounting questions. This would not have been a hard interview if I had had a little time to prepare. I knew it did not go well because my answers were sloppy and unprepared but I sent an e-mail to say thank you anyway. I never heard back from my e-mail or from the company in general. This left a bad taste in my mouth for Duff and Phelps and I felt it was a bad way to conduct the interview process.

Interview Question – What is the connection between the income statement and the balance of payment statement   Answer Question

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Real Estate Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duff & Phelps in January 2011.

Interview Details – My initial communication was via e-mail to confirm I was still interested in the job I had applied for. However, I had applied for the same position several times within the past year (because there were constant re-posts of the opening). The most recent application was the impetus for my interview. However, one of the interviewers questioned why I did not apply for the position previously--major disconnect between human resources representative and the interviewers.

Each interviewer asked vague questions; i.e. "Tell me about yourself", "What does your experience consist of", "What do you know about the company", "why are you interested in the position" etc. One interviewer, in particular, was argumentative--not sure if this was a test to see how I would react to a difficult personality or if that was just his particular personality. In short, though, he was a major d-bag---damn it feels good to vent that. The other two interviewers were legit; although they had little understanding of the industry outside of their company.

Interview Questions

• Why did you go to the school you went to, as opposed to another university a half hour away?   View Answer
  • What are your goals for promotion in this company?   View Answer