Duff & Phelps Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Morristown, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online and got a HR letter to interview with VP. Asked about experience and financial accounting problems. Very friendly, but asked to reconsider my application since background doesn't match.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2013.

Interview

Applied through University website. First round of interviews was mostly behavioral questions. Second round consisted of 4-5 in-office interviews. The company took recruits out to dinner the night before interviews. Second round was mostly behavioral but there were a few technical questions

Interview Questions

• What valuation method would you use to value a company/asset?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

1st round interview was 1:1 on campus. 2nd round was at their office in Chicago.

Interview Questions

• How do you get equity value from enterprise value?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Houston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

I never met with a single member of the company in person - the entire interview process (consisting of 3 telephone calls - 1 with a practice group leader, one with a managing director and the other with two other directors simultaneously) was done over the telephone. The most difficult part of the entire process was the salary negotiation

Interview Questions

• Will they (prospective clients) take your call? Who are our biggest competitors?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated for salary and for a signing bonus. I had to sign a non-solicitation agreement before employment, and was able to negotiate some of those terms as well.

Dispute Consulting Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

Recruiting was done through my school's career center website. Normal resume and cover letter drop. First was a phone interview, and then a superday which consisted of 4 back to back interviews. Surprisingly no technical questions

Dispute Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Houston, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting. I was contacted by the company-wide HR person via email who scheduled a phone screening with a director at the local office. Followed up with marathon interview with four people: started with two people with my position, then two separate interviews with vice presidents, and a final interview with a director (we rotate who does interviews at the office, so you could be interviewed by a different level of employee, but usually it is around five people.) I received an offer approximately one week later.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult, as long as you know your stuff you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimal

Dispute Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Chicago, IL) in November 2012.

Interview

I got a first round interview through career services at my university. I was invited to a 2nd round at their HQ in Chicago with about 10 other applicants. They had a dinner the night before the interviews and the interviews consisted of 5 different 30-minute conversations in various offices with different employees.

Interview Questions

• Describe the effect of depreciation on the income statement, statement of cash flows, and the balance sheet.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online through on-campus portal. Got an email for a phone interview for the next day. Had the phone interview which was standard behavioral questions and then some technical questions about valuation. Pretty standard DCF, FCFF vs. FCFE, etc. Got a call for a second round interview - was going to be 4 interviews with 2 people each and a case study with a group. Had a dinner before hand where I was able to meet about half of my interviewers and speak with entry level analysts about their process. Interview "super day" came, they fed us breakfast and then I had the case study first. In the case study its you and two others, the case was pretty standard case, merger situation with lots of financial statements, etc. After that I was immediately taken to my interviews since I had had an phone interview for the first round, others had a break. Interviews all went the same, they all asked about a time I had valued something so I ended up talking about the same project over all 4 interviews. There were 7 of us and they said they would only take 1.

Anonymous Employee in Campus, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Campus, IL) in October 2012.

Interview

The interviewer was really nice. Actually replies to thank you letters. Asked mostly technical questions. What are the different valuation methods, explain DCF model. Then, as the explaining starts, he went into details and asked questions in the explaination given.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Atlanta, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

Dropped Resume for On Campus interview. Was invited for the interview. The interviewer was a senior manager. The interviewer went over my resume asked questions what I did here. why finance, why valuation.

Interview Questions

• Very casual interview and then walk me through valuing a soda company. how would you calculate WACC, cost of equity, forecasting, beta. what do you think cost of debt is? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your valuation skills. My advice: know your valuation concepts, understand finance concepts.   Answer Question