Duff & Phelps

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in January 2011.

My initial communication was via e-mail to confirm I was still interested in the job I had applied for. However, I had applied for the same position several times within the past year (because there were constant re-posts of the opening). The most recent application was the impetus for my interview. However, one of the interviewers questioned why I did not apply for the position previously--major disconnect between human resources representative and the interviewers.

Each interviewer asked vague questions; i.e. "Tell me about yourself", "What does your experience consist of", "What do you know about the company", "why are you interested in the position" etc. One interviewer, in particular, was argumentative--not sure if this was a test to see how I would react to a difficult personality or if that was just his particular personality. In short, though, he was a major d-bag---damn it feels good to vent that. The other two interviewers were legit; although they had little understanding of the industry outside of their company.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you go to the school you went to, as opposed to another university a half hour away?   View Answer
    • What are your goals for promotion in this company?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2010.

I had a preliminary phone interview with Duff and Phelps a few months ago. I had gotten an e-mail that said they wanted to conduct a phone interview with me that day. I was in class and responded from my blackberry asking if they could do it another day or at least an hour after I got out of class to give myself some time to prepare. They said it had to be that day because they were moving along in the interview process and scheduled me for 2:30, I got out of class at 2:15. I complied figuring it would be more of a personality interview if they were rushing me this much. I had barely walked through my door when my phone rang. It was fine they asked some personality questions, but then started asking me about the company and some more technical financial and accounting questions. This would not have been a hard interview if I had had a little time to prepare. I knew it did not go well because my answers were sloppy and unprepared but I sent an e-mail to say thank you anyway. I never heard back from my e-mail or from the company in general. This left a bad taste in my mouth for Duff and Phelps and I felt it was a bad way to conduct the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • What is the connection between the income statement and the balance of payment statement   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in October 2010.

DP came and recruited at my university. After initially getting turned down for an interview, I spoke with the recruiter on campus and asked them to reconsider me for the position. They did, and an interview was set up for later that week.

At an info session before the interviews, DP told us to make sure we knew our technical information, because thats how most applicants get killed during the interview. Along with that, DP was definitely one of the toughest interviews I've had this season, asking very specific questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time, either in a professional or academic setting, where you had a public speaking opportunity and you failed. And then tell me how you learned from that and how you would not make that mistake again.   Answer Question
    • What is WACC? CAPM? Free Cash Flow?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in September 2010.

The interview process involved a round of on-campus interview and a "super day" round of in-office interviews with the company recruiter and the real estate team consisting of 2 analysts, 1 vice president, and 1 managing director at the time. The questions consisted primarily of behavioral and experiential questions as opposed to purely technical questions. The people interviewing for the business valuation analyst positions were asked more techinical questions related to financial statement analysis and cash flow modelling. Though questions like those have shown up in the past, they did not come up during my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give your assessment of the present condition of the commercial real estate market (regional or national - you pick) or capital markets in general as well as where you see them going over the near-term.   View Answer

Valuation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in July 2010.

The interview was split up into two sections. The first was a group case study interview with the other candidates. All candidates sat around the conference table with a valuation case and 4 questions to which they would present answers to a VP or higher staff member. The second part of the day consisted of 1:1 interviews with mostly mid-level staff. Mostly conversational and fit questions, but also a few technical questions pertaining to past experiences/education.

Valuation Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in July 2010.

asked technical questions

what is valuation?
    what is cost of capital?
    what is market premium?
    future value present value equation?
    what does capm ask for ?

Interview Questions
    • what are your closing arguements. why should i choose you for this position   Answer Question
    1.know your finance concepts
    2.research current events discuss about em

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in July 2010.

There was an on-campus interview, which was very straight forward and just asked you to go over your experience/skills. A few people got the 2nd round interview which consisted of 5 one-on-one interviews with VP's and above.

Again, there wasn't many technical questions. It was merely going through your resume and triyng to relate it to their position. Overall, pretty easy interview but they took a while to get back.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions. Just why you want the job, how your experience will make you successful, etc.   Answer Question

Financial Engineering Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in March 2010.

The interview process was pretty straight forward. They start off by asking you some basic questions off of your resume followed by some questions on pricing derivatives. They ask tough questions but they are all questions that one should know if they understand the MFE curriculum well.

Interview Questions
    • How many simulations would it take to get an accuracy of less than or equal to 1%   View Answers (2)
    • Some question about the value of delta of an option given some basic parameter values. This was one of the standard questions you see in "Heard on the street"   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in March 2010.

The lady was very cordial and nice, but I was too young for the job.

Valuation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in November 2009.

Applied through my college career website. Got both behavioral and technical questions.

For behavioral questions
    1. Describe a time you had to make an ethical question that most people were against.
    2. Talk about a time you gave a technical presentation

Technical Questions

1. How does the financial statements link together?
    2. Describe terminal value
    3. What is enterprise value
    4. What is CAPM

I think it really depends who you are interviewing with. I had a senior associate and a director where both lack personalities and emotions... hope this helps!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to give a technical presentation to a group of people   View Answer