Duke Energy Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014
Updated Oct 8, 2014

SummerMechanical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Two ladies interviewed me, which is a surprise for me, because that is the different person I have been told of. The interview was about 20 mins long, asked about some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your past experience about conflicts with your co-worker.   Answer Question

Engineering Technologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in August 2014.

Only one interview after submitting application. No specific technical test or questions. Questions were situational in nature to test project management experience. Examples include, how to respond if you witnessed a safety infraction or unethical behavior. First person examples were desired for each question. Was given call by hiring manager ten days later with offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle conflicting directions from two persons of authority?   Answer Question
    Did not attempt negotiation, terms were acceptable

Production Team Member Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy.

After a long, but not too difficult, test they will interview with the STAR format. A book of all questions to be asked is provided ahead of time. As long as you take the time ahead to prepare, there are no surprises and you can go into the interview feeling relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • None really, you have all the time you need ahead to prepare a good answer.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Applied as a former college co-op. The interview was all behavior based questions. (Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult colleague etc). The questions were repetitive so be prepared to have multiple stories for similar questions. A lot of the questions were tell me about a time in a negative situation

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't prepared to share that many stories in which I dealt with a negative situation and made it positive   Answer Question

I decided to pursue another career field

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

In person interview. 3 people conducted the interview. Some people might consider a panel interview intimidating so I would say prepare for that aspect. Some technical questions about thermodynamics, tolerances, equipment fatigue and working in a plant environment etc. Many were general questions like tell me about yourself etc. They are very focused on company fit with existing personell and asked may behavorial type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • What value do you bring to the position that other candidates do not?   Answer Question

Manager, Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Had a phone interview twice and then a 1:1 interview by my director. Met other members of my team too. Asked both behavioral and situational interview questions. I thought the process was fair and it was comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing an experience person could not answer. Mostly behavioral and situational questions.   Answer Question
    Fair.

Project Controls Specialist Interview

Is a situation type panel interview process where the questions are predetermined and written and/or assembled by others and not the individuals asking the questions; some of which may not even understand the question(s) to begin with...

Too low of an offer.

Process Integration Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in June 2014.

An HR recruiter reached out to me via a canned email. I followed up with a yes I would like to proceed with an interview and was given a date and time to come in. I also had a few questions about the job in the response and those were completely ignored. The day I interviewed it was weird. First, I did not interview in the fancy new building but some dump behind it. I was greeted by the manager who took me into a room with no windows near the entrance. There was a second person in there as well. When the started the interview they ran through an extreemly weird and bizzare emergency drill notification prior to getting started. They then jumped into roughly 8 behavior interview quesitons that I found very difficult...it was the first time I had ever been hit with those type of question. I was left very little time at the end of the interview to tell them about who I was...I found this bizzare because I didn't even have a phone screen so all they were going off was my resume...Based on my experience I could tell most of the people who worked there were in their 50's so if you are younger you might not fit in. Following the interview I emailed the recruiter to pass along a thank you note to the interviewers and was for a second time ignored. I ended up pulling myself from consideration of the job after 3 weeks with a note that said if you feel like reaching out please do else I am not interested in waiting to hear from you.

Interview Questions
    • greatest weakness, issue with a manager, issue with a staff member,   View Answer

Supply Chain Operations Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Two rounds. First round consisted of a phone interview with the hiring manager with basic behavioral interview questions (Tell me about time when...). Second round consisted of meeting with a few different managers include the hiring manager's boss. They were looking for someone with more technical savvy than supply chain knowledge to deal with the systems and incident tickets.

Interview Questions

Salary amount was not what I expected and was not told the range until the interview.

Business Process Integration Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in May 2014.

I applied for the job and heard back from a recruiter within two weeks through a canned email. I asked the recruiter a specific question about what "testing" during the interview means and was not responded to except through a canned response for the date/time for the interview. I interviewed for the job in the old building behind the fancy new Duke Energy tower. I met with two people who asked me a series of questions that had absoluately nothing to do with my skills. The questions were behavioral and were geared to expose weakness for which I did not do a good job even with military experience, 15 years professional experience, MBA, and other certifications. I waited 4 weeks and did not hear back from anyone so I withdrew my application with a note that stated if they wanted to consider me for employment that they would need to reach out by a certain date to let me know.

Interview Questions
    • If you had concerns about a manager being unethical in thier job how would you handle the situation.   View Answer