Duke Energy

Duke Energy Interview Questions

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

Nuclear Engineer Interview

Structured review by multiple people. Internship preferred. Your teamwork skill is more important than your knowledge. Show your good social skills during interview. Positive attitude will be an asset.

College Co-Op Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy.

They prefer to do in person interviews but my was a phone interview because I was out of town. They asked the standard interview questions like greatest strengths, weaknesses, why I chose electrical engineering.

Interview Questions
    • A time you had a leadership position and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    None. Co-op rates are set at a corporate level.

SummerMechanical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Two ladies interviewed me, which is a surprise for me, because that is the different person I have been told of. The interview was about 20 mins long, asked about some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your past experience about conflicts with your co-worker.   Answer Question

Engineering Technologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in August 2014.

Only one interview after submitting application. No specific technical test or questions. Questions were situational in nature to test project management experience. Examples include, how to respond if you witnessed a safety infraction or unethical behavior. First person examples were desired for each question. Was given call by hiring manager ten days later with offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle conflicting directions from two persons of authority?   Answer Question
    Did not attempt negotiation, terms were acceptable

Production Team Member Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy.

After a long, but not too difficult, test they will interview with the STAR format. A book of all questions to be asked is provided ahead of time. As long as you take the time ahead to prepare, there are no surprises and you can go into the interview feeling relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • None really, you have all the time you need ahead to prepare a good answer.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Applied as a former college co-op. The interview was all behavior based questions. (Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult colleague etc). The questions were repetitive so be prepared to have multiple stories for similar questions. A lot of the questions were tell me about a time in a negative situation

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't prepared to share that many stories in which I dealt with a negative situation and made it positive   Answer Question

I decided to pursue another career field

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

In person interview. 3 people conducted the interview. Some people might consider a panel interview intimidating so I would say prepare for that aspect. Some technical questions about thermodynamics, tolerances, equipment fatigue and working in a plant environment etc. Many were general questions like tell me about yourself etc. They are very focused on company fit with existing personell and asked may behavorial type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • What value do you bring to the position that other candidates do not?   Answer Question

Manager, Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Had a phone interview twice and then a 1:1 interview by my director. Met other members of my team too. Asked both behavioral and situational interview questions. I thought the process was fair and it was comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing an experience person could not answer. Mostly behavioral and situational questions.   Answer Question
    Fair.

Project Controls Specialist Interview

Is a situation type panel interview process where the questions are predetermined and written and/or assembled by others and not the individuals asking the questions; some of which may not even understand the question(s) to begin with...

Too low of an offer.

Process Integration Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in June 2014.

An HR recruiter reached out to me via a canned email. I followed up with a yes I would like to proceed with an interview and was given a date and time to come in. I also had a few questions about the job in the response and those were completely ignored. The day I interviewed it was weird. First, I did not interview in the fancy new building but some dump behind it. I was greeted by the manager who took me into a room with no windows near the entrance. There was a second person in there as well. When the started the interview they ran through an extreemly weird and bizzare emergency drill notification prior to getting started. They then jumped into roughly 8 behavior interview quesitons that I found very difficult...it was the first time I had ever been hit with those type of question. I was left very little time at the end of the interview to tell them about who I was...I found this bizzare because I didn't even have a phone screen so all they were going off was my resume...Based on my experience I could tell most of the people who worked there were in their 50's so if you are younger you might not fit in. Following the interview I emailed the recruiter to pass along a thank you note to the interviewers and was for a second time ignored. I ended up pulling myself from consideration of the job after 3 weeks with a note that said if you feel like reaching out please do else I am not interested in waiting to hear from you.

Interview Questions
    • greatest weakness, issue with a manager, issue with a staff member,   View Answer