Duke Energy Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.9

IT Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

If your application has been selected for an interview, a member of the department’s hiring team will contact you to set up a time. (If you don’t live in Yukon, initial interviews may be conducted by phone or Internet video.) Now, this is your chance to do some background research and to gather together everything you need to come to the interview confident and prepared.

Know the requirements for the position

Re-read the job description carefully, and ask your contact for any additional information. Make sure you have a solid understanding of all the responsibilities, skills, certification and knowledge required, and that you are able to accommodate the job’s location and hours. Visit the department site to get valuable information on its mandate, services and structure:

Interview Questions

• Examine each skill and qualification in the job posting, then review your own work and volunteer history as it relates to the posting. Prepare examples of experiences or successes that back up each requirement.

Prepare for specific questions

You will likely be asked questions about your teamwork skills, your interpersonal relations, your management style or your ability to work in a diverse environment. Review the job posting again and try to anticipate other likely areas of questioning, and prepare honest and concise answers that highlight relevant aspects of your work history and life experience. Remember that there may be questions you did not anticipate: when this happens, breathe and take a moment to think through your experiences to find the best answers.

On the day of the interview, dress appropriately and arrive early, calm and mentally prepared. Bring a list of references if you did not already include them in the resume you submitted. And, most importantly, don’t forget to relax and be yourself.

1 Answer

Nuclear Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted an online application and was contacted to set up an interview at the Charlotte office. I was interviewed by two managers and they asked me questions from a standardized list and then asked if I had any questions for them. After this, I was treated to lunch. The nature of the interview was entirely behavioral (no nuclear/technical questions).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where communicating with someone was difficult or impossible, what did you do to handle that?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had an opportunity to be innovative and improve a process.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, what did you do   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a team that you worked on, what was your role and why was the team successful/not successful   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

You first take a 3-hour test. The first half is on data entry, and the second half is math. If you pass (which is difficult - out of 34 people, only 7 passed) you will be interviewed. There were two people doing the interviewing. The interview was fairly standard with questions like how to deal with a difficult customer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The pay and hours were spelled out in the job ad.

Transmission Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

Talked to the Duke employees at a job fair and was asked to do a next day interview. The interview lasted about 30min and was the normal behavioral type of question. Five questions about a time I led a project, completed a project, had to deal with someone who was not contributing during a project, an instance where I had to communicate Ideas in a group when members were not understanding, and a question about what I would do if I went to do laundry and the washer was not working.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was coming up with different examples for such similar questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not much negotiating, the initial interview was for a CO-OP that I was unable to do but I showed interest in an internship and a offer for an internship was given a couple weeks later.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

Applied online. Application wasn't very difficult to complete. A few weeks later received an email about setting up a phone interview. Scheduled an interview time and received a phone call from a panel of three people. Very standard questions. They said the one phone call would be it and I would hear about a position between December 8th and 15th. A few days later, I unexpectedly received another phone call from a different panel of gentlemen who basically asked similar, but different, interview questions. This was a complete surprise...I had no idea there would be another phone interview. This second interview ended with another reminder that positions will be decided by December 15th at the latest. I heard nothing from them until January 15th, 2015, when they offered me a position. Needless to say, the interviews weren't very difficult, but it did seem the recruiting team wasn't very well organized.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you feel like you failed at something. What happened, why did you feel that way, and how did everything turn out in the end?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a great and easy process. It took no time at all for a call back. Not neve wrecking ad very laid back. I was very intimidated but they already had me feeling at home when I was there. I would recommend this company to anyone who is interested in doing an internship.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online in Oct 2014. Received interview invitation in Jan 2015. The Interview was scheduled over phone, which happened 5 days after the invitation. Two weeks later, received the email said I was not selected. The major reason I think is I didn't response the mini case question well. However, when asking questions, the interviewer was quite informal and the structure of the case question was not well arranged. Yet, they are not looking for IB or Consulting skills, it's better to chat with the interviewer more freely, making them like you.

Interview Questions

• Behavior, industry insights, and one mini case. The case was if there was a solar plant investment opportunity, should Duke invest or not?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy (Saint Petersburg, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

Typical interview with questions about my skills and experience. They wanted to know what duties I performed at my prior jobs and the reasons why I left those jobs. I told them that I relocated due to my husbands job and that I was now looking for employment. Otherwise it was a positive experience and I would have liked to have received an offer but apparently there was a more qualified candidate.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience using Microsoft Excel.   1 Answer

Senior Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy (Charlotte, NC) in December 2014.

Interview

Learned of position through an employee there, and applied on company website. 25 days later I received a request for an interview. Interview was scheduled for 15 days later. 45 days later I was informed I wasn't selected. The interview itself was an afternoon panel interview in which some panelists joined by video, and some by conference call, and one was in person. It was formal, but not high-pressure.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

It was great! On the day of my interview, everyone I spoke and dealt with were extremely helpful and nice. I'm very excited to work for company and the fellow co-workers. The lunch was wonderful and I liked we had a chance to talk to young business professionals.