Duke Energy Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2014
Updated Aug 27, 2014

Customer Representatives Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Duke Energy in April 2010.

I was able to pass the call center simulation, which is 2 1/2 hours of HELL! If you get through that you get 1:1 interview, and then will be called if you make it to the top 20 for the next training.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Duke Energy in July 2013.

I applied for a position through a staffing agency. They called and scheduled me for a proctored computer test at the Duke Energy office. The test was composed of sections measuring your Microsoft Word skills, Excel skills, proof reading skills, and complex mathematical equations without the use of a calculator. I am still trying to figure out why an administrative assistant needs to be able to do complex math equations in their head.

Interview Questions
    • The Word, Excel, and proofreading tests were very easy. The math section composed of 20 word problems that you had 8 minutes to solve. Questions were very complex and involved percentages, fractions etc. You are not allowed to use a calculator. Questions were similar to those you'd find on the SAT.   Answer Question

Lead Financial Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Duke Energy in December 2012.

I applied for the job through the company website and was called for interview in about 2 weeks. The interview was conducted by the hiring managing and her late arriving pen-tapping manager in a small cramped conference room with no windows. It was a rushed 35 minutes even though they said it would be 45 minutes. The questions were all behavioral based and did not relate to my personal experiences. They were intended to reveal weaknesses. I am a bit of a perfectionist and very good at what I do. I was an outstanding candidate for the job but the interview made me look inadequate because I couldn't relate the stories of failure and how I handled it that they wanted to hear.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you promised a customer something you couldn't deliver or that was bad for the company.   View Answer

Contracts Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Duke Energy.

HR/recruiting was good and timely regarding communication. I was told I'd interview with the hiring manager but walked into a room of 3 total people. The interview was 3 parts. Talk about yourself, answer 9 predetermined questions, and then ask any questions. Everyone was very nice. I was told they'd be interviewing a lot of people, which is what I read for other interviews on this site about the company.

Transmission Engineering Co-op Position Fall 2014 Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Duke Energy.

Spoke with Civil Engineer at NCSU Co-Op Fair, was told to come to an information session the next day. Came there and signed up for an interview following the info session. Had an on-campus interview a week later. Interviewed with a Civil and an Electrical Engineer.

Interview Questions
    • If two co-workers are disagreeing on a solution to a problem, how would you intervene and come to a solution?   Answer Question
    • If you were hired, and saw a process or problem within the company, how would you go about fixing the problem?   Answer Question
    • Why is it important to understand the company's rules, regulations and processes as a co op student?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time, whether at work, class or anywhere else, when you had to come up with a creative solution to a problem.   Answer Question

Customer Project Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Duke Energy in September 2009.

Required an aptitude test prior to being considered for interview. Interview was VERY non-traditional, using a panel interviewing technique called the "STAR" system (Situation Task Action Result). That system is a behavioral interview, NOT a traditional "tell me about yourself and your experience" interview.

Interview Questions
    • We all know some customers are difficult to satisfy. Tell me about your last "problem" customer, what the problem was, and how it was resolved. What was the end result? Was the customer happy in the end?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the last time at your previous position that you knew you SHOULD have done something to avoid a problem, but chose to do nothing. What was the result?   Answer Question

Gas Turbine Tech I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Duke Energy in October 2010.

started with online application, once selected I had to travel to Charlotte to take a timed wriiten test (POSS/MASS).I strongly suggest using the list of books given on Dukes website or at least an SAT practice book. I wore a nice shirt and tie to this but would say that I was over dressed. However out of roughly 25 test takers I am only aware of 3 of us passing. Results took several days to receive and actually a score wasnt given. I received a call to report to the 2nd phase of the process which was a physical test. It was not hard at all. You need to be able to climb stairs, carry various items up the stairs and follow the directions that were read out loud. We did have to torque a flanged into placed in accordance with the directions. Also, loaded a wheel barrel, moved the contents to another location. Another test required riding an elevator up several stories to take a reading from a gage mounted out on a platform. Once I passed this test I received yet another phone call which again was the indication I passed. At this point I was scheduled for an interview. This was a panel of 3 people at the actual site of the job. Interview was 3 hours long and the questions were mostly technical. First round of questions were general and I relied on my experience and training. The later round of questions were directly related to technical areas of the position I was interviewing for. I know that this is where I blew it. I have no direct knowledge of Dukes equipment being that I havent worked for Duke Energy. I was told before the interview started that I was competing with people already employed at Duke and we all got the same questions. The later questions put me at a disadvantage to current Duke employees.

Business Process Integration Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Duke Energy in May 2014.

I applied for the job and heard back from a recruiter within two weeks through a canned email. I asked the recruiter a specific question about what "testing" during the interview means and was not responded to except through a canned response for the date/time for the interview. I interviewed for the job in the old building behind the fancy new Duke Energy tower. I met with two people who asked me a series of questions that had absoluately nothing to do with my skills. The questions were behavioral and were geared to expose weakness for which I did not do a good job even with military experience, 15 years professional experience, MBA, and other certifications. I waited 4 weeks and did not hear back from anyone so I withdrew my application with a note that stated if they wanted to consider me for employment that they would need to reach out by a certain date to let me know.

Interview Questions
    • If you had concerns about a manager being unethical in thier job how would you handle the situation.   View Answer

Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Duke Energy.

Applied as a former college co-op. The interview was all behavior based questions. (Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult colleague etc). The questions were repetitive so be prepared to have multiple stories for similar questions. A lot of the questions were tell me about a time in a negative situation

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't prepared to share that many stories in which I dealt with a negative situation and made it positive   Answer Question

I decided to pursue another career field

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seneca, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seneca, SC

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Duke Energy in March 2010.

It was set up with through a co-op office and I had 30 minutes. The guy just sat there and read from a piece of paper with no emotions on any answer. They were standard questions but once again it was not a conversation between two people but more like I was talking to a computer. Was a very poor interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult task and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Worked for Duke Energy? Contribute to the Community!