Duke Energy

Average Difficulty
50 candidate interviews

Customer Representatives Interview

Customer Representatives

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Duke Energy in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was able to pass the call center simulation, which is 2 1/2 hours of HELL! If you get through that you get 1:1 interview, and then will be called if you make it to the top 20 for the next training.

Interview Question – What do you like lest about your former employer.   Answer Question

Lead Financial Planning Analyst Interview

Lead Financial Planning Analyst
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Duke Energy in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the job through the company website and was called for interview in about 2 weeks. The interview was conducted by the hiring managing and her late arriving pen-tapping manager in a small cramped conference room with no windows. It was a rushed 35 minutes even though they said it would be 45 minutes. The questions were all behavioral based and did not relate to my personal experiences. They were intended to reveal weaknesses. I am a bit of a perfectionist and very good at what I do. I was an outstanding candidate for the job but the interview made me look inadequate because I couldn't relate the stories of failure and how I handled it that they wanted to hear.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you promised a customer something you couldn't deliver or that was bad for the company.   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Cary, NC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Duke Energy in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a position through a staffing agency. They called and scheduled me for a proctored computer test at the Duke Energy office. The test was composed of sections measuring your Microsoft Word skills, Excel skills, proof reading skills, and complex mathematical equations without the use of a calculator. I am still trying to figure out why an administrative assistant needs to be able to do complex math equations in their head.

Interview Question – The Word, Excel, and proofreading tests were very easy. The math section composed of 20 word problems that you had 8 minutes to solve. Questions were very complex and involved percentages, fractions etc. You are not allowed to use a calculator. Questions were similar to those you'd find on the SAT.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Contracts Manager Interview

Contracts Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview Details – HR/recruiting was good and timely regarding communication. I was told I'd interview with the hiring manager but walked into a room of 3 total people. The interview was 3 parts. Talk about yourself, answer 9 predetermined questions, and then ask any questions. Everyone was very nice. I was told they'd be interviewing a lot of people, which is what I read for other interviews on this site about the company.

Interview Question – How did you deal with a negative experience at work   Answer Question

Project Manager I Interview

Project Manager I
Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview Details – Be prepared to wait for a few weeks up to 2/3 months to be contacted once you submit a resume. While the hiring managers may be in a hurry to fill the spot, the HR process is painfully slow. The interview was professional and questions were relevant. It was difficult, but I expected it to be as a young man coming from a different industry altogether.

Interview Question – What is your experience in solving multi-stakeholder issues? How do you define success? Where will you want to be in 5 years, 10 years, 15 years? What is your take on professional development? What motivates you? How do you handle highly stressful situations? Are you willing to travel 70% of the time? Are you comfortable with relocating to Charlotte?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Duke Energy does not like to negotiate, But they are competitive (

Transmission Engineering Co-op Position Fall 2014 Interview

Transmission Engineering Co-op Position Fall 2014

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview Details – Spoke with Civil Engineer at NCSU Co-Op Fair, was told to come to an information session the next day. Came there and signed up for an interview following the info session. Had an on-campus interview a week later. Interviewed with a Civil and an Electrical Engineer.

Interview Questions

• If two co-workers are disagreeing on a solution to a problem, how would you intervene and come to a solution?   Answer Question
  • If you were hired, and saw a process or problem within the company, how would you go about fixing the problem?   Answer Question
  • Why is it important to understand the company's rules, regulations and processes as a co op student?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time, whether at work, class or anywhere else, when you had to come up with a creative solution to a problem.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Southport, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Duke Energy in January 2014.

Interview Details – Submit resume online. Make it passed that, go to phone interview. Then job is offered.

Interview Question – Describe a time in past work experience when you had to go against what a peer or colleague wanted and if it was the right decision.   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Co-Op
Seneca, SC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Duke Energy in March 2010.

Interview Details – It was set up with through a co-op office and I had 30 minutes. The guy just sat there and read from a piece of paper with no emotions on any answer. They were standard questions but once again it was not a conversation between two people but more like I was talking to a computer. Was a very poor interview experience.

Interview Question – What was your most difficult task and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Customer Project Apprentice Interview

Customer Project Apprentice
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Duke Energy in September 2009.

Interview Details – Required an aptitude test prior to being considered for interview. Interview was VERY non-traditional, using a panel interviewing technique called the "STAR" system (Situation Task Action Result). That system is a behavioral interview, NOT a traditional "tell me about yourself and your experience" interview.

Interview Questions

• We all know some customers are difficult to satisfy. Tell me about your last "problem" customer, what the problem was, and how it was resolved. What was the end result? Was the customer happy in the end?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about the last time at your previous position that you knew you SHOULD have done something to avoid a problem, but chose to do nothing. What was the result?   Answer Question

Gas Turbine Tech I Interview

Gas Turbine Tech I

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Duke Energy in October 2010.

Interview Details – started with online application, once selected I had to travel to Charlotte to take a timed wriiten test (POSS/MASS).I strongly suggest using the list of books given on Dukes website or at least an SAT practice book. I wore a nice shirt and tie to this but would say that I was over dressed. However out of roughly 25 test takers I am only aware of 3 of us passing. Results took several days to receive and actually a score wasnt given. I received a call to report to the 2nd phase of the process which was a physical test. It was not hard at all. You need to be able to climb stairs, carry various items up the stairs and follow the directions that were read out loud. We did have to torque a flanged into placed in accordance with the directions. Also, loaded a wheel barrel, moved the contents to another location. Another test required riding an elevator up several stories to take a reading from a gage mounted out on a platform. Once I passed this test I received yet another phone call which again was the indication I passed. At this point I was scheduled for an interview. This was a panel of 3 people at the actual site of the job. Interview was 3 hours long and the questions were mostly technical. First round of questions were general and I relied on my experience and training. The later round of questions were directly related to technical areas of the position I was interviewing for. I know that this is where I blew it. I have no direct knowledge of Dukes equipment being that I havent worked for Duke Energy. I was told before the interview started that I was competing with people already employed at Duke and we all got the same questions. The later questions put me at a disadvantage to current Duke employees.

Interview Question – Whats the proper why to stop a generator.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Duke Energy

Worked for Duke Energy? Contribute to the Community!