Duke Energy Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in April 2010.

Interview

I was able to pass the call center simulation, which is 2 1/2 hours of HELL! If you get through that you get 1:1 interview, and then will be called if you make it to the top 20 for the next training.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy (Cary, NC) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied for a position through a staffing agency. They called and scheduled me for a proctored computer test at the Duke Energy office. The test was composed of sections measuring your Microsoft Word skills, Excel skills, proof reading skills, and complex mathematical equations without the use of a calculator. I am still trying to figure out why an administrative assistant needs to be able to do complex math equations in their head.

Interview Questions

• The Word, Excel, and proofreading tests were very easy. The math section composed of 20 word problems that you had 8 minutes to solve. Questions were very complex and involved percentages, fractions etc. You are not allowed to use a calculator. Questions were similar to those you'd find on the SAT.   Answer Question

Lead Financial Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy (Charlotte, NC) in December 2012.

Interview

I applied for the job through the company website and was called for interview in about 2 weeks. The interview was conducted by the hiring managing and her late arriving pen-tapping manager in a small cramped conference room with no windows. It was a rushed 35 minutes even though they said it would be 45 minutes. The questions were all behavioral based and did not relate to my personal experiences. They were intended to reveal weaknesses. I am a bit of a perfectionist and very good at what I do. I was an outstanding candidate for the job but the interview made me look inadequate because I couldn't relate the stories of failure and how I handled it that they wanted to hear.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you promised a customer something you couldn't deliver or that was bad for the company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied: Febuary 25th, March 5th recieved email to schedule a 3 hour computer test. March 12th passed the 3 hour hard test on typing and math questions (7 out of 20 passed) and interviewed. If you passed the test you were interviewed. It was like a cattle call and treated like a number and very disorganized. I passed the test with flying colors and was interviewed. Interview was only 3 questions and the rest was job description review. You had to agree to every job requirement or you were dismissed. I.E. "being on call" during storms and staying past normal schedule. The interviewer was boring and not interested at all. Training was to begin "tentatively" on April 27th, it has been over 4 weeks and NOTHING. The interviewer told me they wasn't' sure when they would start. This HR is very disorganized. WILL NOT APPLY TO DUKE EVER AGAIN.

Interview Questions

• What previous job did you not like and why?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy (Cincinnati, OH) in December 2011.

Interview

The interview process has multiple steps. After completing an application, if your resume meets minimum requirements, you will be contacted for testing. If you are successful at the test, you will then be contacted for a formal interview. After the formal interview, you'll receive a packet in the mail requesting drug screening.

Interview Questions

• The questions asked were like: Tell me about a time that you had an irate customer. How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

You first take a 3-hour test. The first half is on data entry, and the second half is math. If you pass (which is difficult - out of 34 people, only 7 passed) you will be interviewed. There were two people doing the interviewing. The interview was fairly standard with questions like how to deal with a difficult customer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The pay and hours were spelled out in the job ad.

Engineering Technologist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy (Raleigh, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Formal interview. Sat down with three gentlemen and was asked about 12-15 total questions. The first ten questions were typical interview questions from former work experience. Final questions discussed capability to work extra hours, etc. A few technical questions as well that were quite difficult unless you heavily researched or understood nuclear industry standards.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were tasked to uncover an underlying conflict at work and how you were able to solve it?   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seneca, SC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Duke Energy (Seneca, SC) in March 2010.

Interview

It was set up with through a co-op office and I had 30 minutes. The guy just sat there and read from a piece of paper with no emotions on any answer. They were standard questions but once again it was not a conversation between two people but more like I was talking to a computer. Was a very poor interview experience.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult task and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southport, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy (Southport, NC) in January 2014.

Interview

Submit resume online. Make it passed that, go to phone interview. Then job is offered.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in past work experience when you had to go against what a peer or colleague wanted and if it was the right decision.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

Applied as a former college co-op. The interview was all behavior based questions. (Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult colleague etc). The questions were repetitive so be prepared to have multiple stories for similar questions. A lot of the questions were tell me about a time in a negative situation

Interview Questions

• I wasn't prepared to share that many stories in which I dealt with a negative situation and made it positive   Answer Question

I decided to pursue another career field