Duke Energy Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

Nuclear Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in March 2015.

Submitted an online application and was contacted to set up an interview at the Charlotte office. I was interviewed by two managers and they asked me questions from a standardized list and then asked if I had any questions for them. After this, I was treated to lunch. The nature of the interview was entirely behavioral (no nuclear/technical questions).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where communicating with someone was difficult or impossible, what did you do to handle that?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had an opportunity to be innovative and improve a process.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, what did you do   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a team that you worked on, what was your role and why was the team successful/not successful   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in November 2014.

I applied online and then about a 2 weeks later, I got a call for a phone interview. The guy was really nice and asked me several questions, including which HR department I would be interested in. Then about 2 weeks after that, I received an email for an in person interview. I picked two departments so I had two interviews. You'll have an interview with 1-4 HR people in the particular department. Be personable and honest. I was offered the position with my first choice a week later!

Interview Questions
    • How do you think that your work experiences and classes will help you in this field?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Duke Energy.

If your application has been selected for an interview, a member of the department’s hiring team will contact you to set up a time. (If you don’t live in Yukon, initial interviews may be conducted by phone or Internet video.) Now, this is your chance to do some background research and to gather together everything you need to come to the interview confident and prepared.

Know the requirements for the position

Re-read the job description carefully, and ask your contact for any additional information. Make sure you have a solid understanding of all the responsibilities, skills, certification and knowledge required, and that you are able to accommodate the job’s location and hours. Visit the department site to get valuable information on its mandate, services and structure:

Interview Questions
    • Examine each skill and qualification in the job posting, then review your own work and volunteer history as it relates to the posting. Prepare examples of experiences or successes that back up each requirement.

Prepare for specific questions

You will likely be asked questions about your teamwork skills, your interpersonal relations, your management style or your ability to work in a diverse environment. Review the job posting again and try to anticipate other likely areas of questioning, and prepare honest and concise answers that highlight relevant aspects of your work history and life experience. Remember that there may be questions you did not anticipate: when this happens, breathe and take a moment to think through your experiences to find the best answers.

On the day of the interview, dress appropriately and arrive early, calm and mentally prepared. Bring a list of references if you did not already include them in the resume you submitted. And, most importantly, don’t forget to relax and be yourself.

View Answer

Project Controls Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Duke Energy in March 2011.

The Duke Energy employee was ill-prepared and did not have any other than the base set of questions to ask during the interview process. She was not able to answer many of my questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself
      What skills do you have that would differentiate you from another candidate
      How many projects have you managed
      What tools did you utilize to manage the projects
      Do you have any experience with Accenture IT projects

View Answer

Summer Commercial Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy in January 2015.

Applied online in Oct 2014. Received interview invitation in Jan 2015. The Interview was scheduled over phone, which happened 5 days after the invitation. Two weeks later, received the email said I was not selected. The major reason I think is I didn't response the mini case question well. However, when asking questions, the interviewer was quite informal and the structure of the case question was not well arranged. Yet, they are not looking for IB or Consulting skills, it's better to chat with the interviewer more freely, making them like you.

Interview Questions
    • Behavior, industry insights, and one mini case. The case was if there was a solar plant investment opportunity, should Duke invest or not?   Answer Question

Finance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy in November 2014.

I applied on their Career site and received a phone call to come in for an interview a few weeks later. I had an initial interview with the hiring manager and director of the tax department which went very well. This initial interview consisted of personality related questions to see if you are the right fit in the department.

I received an email about 2 weeks later inviting me to a second interview with other individuals in the department. This time I was interviewed by 5 managers and supervisors of various positions and also taken to lunch by employees who do similar work that the new position entails. This experience also went very well and I had high hopes in receiving an offer. The interview with the 5 individuals in management was an endurance test and consisted of personality questions and some technical questions to gauge your experience or education.

About a week and a half later I received an offer and began the lengthy and extensive background check which investigates criminal history, credit, DMV, education, past employment, references, and drug screen.

The offer was very good as were the benefits. I graduated college in 2013, have about 3 years of relevant experience, and am excited about the opportunities Duke Energy offers.

The whole interview process is pretty long and exhausting, but worth it if you land the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you worked on a team project where you had a disagreement with someone on the team. What was the end result?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy.

You first take a 3-hour test. The first half is on data entry, and the second half is math. If you pass (which is difficult - out of 34 people, only 7 passed) you will be interviewed. There were two people doing the interviewing. The interview was fairly standard with questions like how to deal with a difficult customer.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. The pay and hours were spelled out in the job ad.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy in January 2015.

It was a great and easy process. It took no time at all for a call back. Not neve wrecking ad very laid back. I was very intimidated but they already had me feeling at home when I was there. I would recommend this company to anyone who is interested in doing an internship.

2015 Summer Engineering Nuclear Generation(Mechanical) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Applied online. Application wasn't very difficult to complete. A few weeks later received an email about setting up a phone interview. Scheduled an interview time and received a phone call from a panel of three people. Very standard questions. They said the one phone call would be it and I would hear about a position between December 8th and 15th. A few days later, I unexpectedly received another phone call from a different panel of gentlemen who basically asked similar, but different, interview questions. This was a complete surprise...I had no idea there would be another phone interview. This second interview ended with another reminder that positions will be decided by December 15th at the latest. I heard nothing from them until January 15th, 2015, when they offered me a position. Needless to say, the interviews weren't very difficult, but it did seem the recruiting team wasn't very well organized.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you feel like you failed at something. What happened, why did you feel that way, and how did everything turn out in the end?   Answer Question

Transmission Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Talked to the Duke employees at a job fair and was asked to do a next day interview. The interview lasted about 30min and was the normal behavioral type of question. Five questions about a time I led a project, completed a project, had to deal with someone who was not contributing during a project, an instance where I had to communicate Ideas in a group when members were not understanding, and a question about what I would do if I went to do laundry and the washer was not working.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was coming up with different examples for such similar questions.   View Answer
    There was not much negotiating, the initial interview was for a CO-OP that I was unable to do but I showed interest in an internship and a offer for an internship was given a couple weeks later.