Duke Energy

Duke Energy Interview Questions

Updated Nov 27, 2014
Updated Nov 27, 2014

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Duke Energy.

It was great! On the day of my interview, everyone I spoke and dealt with were extremely helpful and nice. I'm very excited to work for company and the fellow co-workers. The lunch was wonderful and I liked we had a chance to talk to young business professionals.

Nuclear Engineer Interview

Structured review by multiple people. Internship preferred. Your teamwork skill is more important than your knowledge. Show your good social skills during interview. Positive attitude will be an asset.

College Co-Op Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy.

They prefer to do in person interviews but my was a phone interview because I was out of town. They asked the standard interview questions like greatest strengths, weaknesses, why I chose electrical engineering.

Interview Questions
    • A time you had a leadership position and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    None. Co-op rates are set at a corporate level.

Process Integration Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in June 2014.

An HR recruiter reached out to me via a canned email. I followed up with a yes I would like to proceed with an interview and was given a date and time to come in. I also had a few questions about the job in the response and those were completely ignored. The day I interviewed it was weird. First, I did not interview in the fancy new building but some dump behind it. I was greeted by the manager who took me into a room with no windows near the entrance. There was a second person in there as well. When the started the interview they ran through an extreemly weird and bizzare emergency drill notification prior to getting started. They then jumped into roughly 8 behavior interview quesitons that I found very difficult...it was the first time I had ever been hit with those type of question. I was left very little time at the end of the interview to tell them about who I was...I found this bizzare because I didn't even have a phone screen so all they were going off was my resume...Based on my experience I could tell most of the people who worked there were in their 50's so if you are younger you might not fit in. Following the interview I emailed the recruiter to pass along a thank you note to the interviewers and was for a second time ignored. I ended up pulling myself from consideration of the job after 3 weeks with a note that said if you feel like reaching out please do else I am not interested in waiting to hear from you.

Interview Questions
    • greatest weakness, issue with a manager, issue with a staff member,   View Answer

C&M Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy in October 2012.

Interview process involves sitting in front of a board of select managers and HR personel and they ask you pre-printed question about your skills, knowledge of the job and technical questions involving the job you are after.

Interview Questions
    • What would make you a better supervisor than any of the other person we are inteviewing? What are your strenghths?   Answer Question
    No negotiation involved. They had a set salary and benifits package right from the beginning.Open to view before appling for the position.

SummerMechanical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Two ladies interviewed me, which is a surprise for me, because that is the different person I have been told of. The interview was about 20 mins long, asked about some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your past experience about conflicts with your co-worker.   Answer Question

Compliance Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in August 2014.

Step 1:
    I received an automated request within a few days of the deadline for the posting to close. It said:
    "This letter is to say thank you for your interest in Duke Energy and determine your interest in scheduling an phone interview. Please respond to this email within 48 hours to confirm your interest and availability. Interview spaces are currently available during the following time(s): _____"

Step 2:
    After a couple of emails back and forth with the HR rep, we finalized a phone interview and I received another automated confirmation for the interview with the name/title of the hiring manager who would interview me. (As it turned out, there was also another person sitting in on the interview as well.)

Step 3:
    We had a 40-minute phone interview where the manager described the job a little more then went through a list of standard questions. At one point, she referred to the number of questions remaining on "the list they gave me" so I know she was working through a set of standardized questions. I was able to ask as many questions about the position as I wanted, also.

Step 4: Within a week of the phone interview I received another automated email saying, "Thank you for taking the time to interview for the Compliance Analyst position. After careful consideration of the applicants for this particular position, the hiring manager has chosen to extend an offer to another more qualified applicant."

Interview Questions
    • 1) Why are you interested in this position?
      2) Tell me about a time when you had access to confidential information and someone wanted it. What did you do?
      3) Tell me about a time when you failed at something and what did you do about it.

There were many other standardized questions but if you review other interviews for this company they've already been listed.

Answer Question

Engineering Technologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in August 2014.

Only one interview after submitting application. No specific technical test or questions. Questions were situational in nature to test project management experience. Examples include, how to respond if you witnessed a safety infraction or unethical behavior. First person examples were desired for each question. Was given call by hiring manager ten days later with offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle conflicting directions from two persons of authority?   Answer Question
    Did not attempt negotiation, terms were acceptable

Production Team Member Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy.

After a long, but not too difficult, test they will interview with the STAR format. A book of all questions to be asked is provided ahead of time. As long as you take the time ahead to prepare, there are no surprises and you can go into the interview feeling relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • None really, you have all the time you need ahead to prepare a good answer.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Applied as a former college co-op. The interview was all behavior based questions. (Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult colleague etc). The questions were repetitive so be prepared to have multiple stories for similar questions. A lot of the questions were tell me about a time in a negative situation

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't prepared to share that many stories in which I dealt with a negative situation and made it positive   Answer Question

I decided to pursue another career field