Duke Energy

Updated Jan 15, 2015

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

In person interview. 3 people conducted the interview. Some people might consider a panel interview intimidating so I would say prepare for that aspect. Some technical questions about thermodynamics, tolerances, equipment fatigue and working in a plant environment etc. Many were general questions like tell me about yourself etc. They are very focused on company fit with existing personell and asked may behavorial type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • What value do you bring to the position that other candidates do not?   Answer Question

Manager, Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Had a phone interview twice and then a 1:1 interview by my director. Met other members of my team too. Asked both behavioral and situational interview questions. I thought the process was fair and it was comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing an experience person could not answer. Mostly behavioral and situational questions.   Answer Question
    Fair.

Project Controls Specialist Interview

Is a situation type panel interview process where the questions are predetermined and written and/or assembled by others and not the individuals asking the questions; some of which may not even understand the question(s) to begin with...

Too low of an offer.

Process Integration Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in June 2014.

An HR recruiter reached out to me via a canned email. I followed up with a yes I would like to proceed with an interview and was given a date and time to come in. I also had a few questions about the job in the response and those were completely ignored. The day I interviewed it was weird. First, I did not interview in the fancy new building but some dump behind it. I was greeted by the manager who took me into a room with no windows near the entrance. There was a second person in there as well. When the started the interview they ran through an extreemly weird and bizzare emergency drill notification prior to getting started. They then jumped into roughly 8 behavior interview quesitons that I found very difficult...it was the first time I had ever been hit with those type of question. I was left very little time at the end of the interview to tell them about who I was...I found this bizzare because I didn't even have a phone screen so all they were going off was my resume...Based on my experience I could tell most of the people who worked there were in their 50's so if you are younger you might not fit in. Following the interview I emailed the recruiter to pass along a thank you note to the interviewers and was for a second time ignored. I ended up pulling myself from consideration of the job after 3 weeks with a note that said if you feel like reaching out please do else I am not interested in waiting to hear from you.

Interview Questions
    • greatest weakness, issue with a manager, issue with a staff member,   View Answer

Supply Chain Operations Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Two rounds. First round consisted of a phone interview with the hiring manager with basic behavioral interview questions (Tell me about time when...). Second round consisted of meeting with a few different managers include the hiring manager's boss. They were looking for someone with more technical savvy than supply chain knowledge to deal with the systems and incident tickets.

Interview Questions

Salary amount was not what I expected and was not told the range until the interview.

Business Process Integration Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in May 2014.

I applied for the job and heard back from a recruiter within two weeks through a canned email. I asked the recruiter a specific question about what "testing" during the interview means and was not responded to except through a canned response for the date/time for the interview. I interviewed for the job in the old building behind the fancy new Duke Energy tower. I met with two people who asked me a series of questions that had absoluately nothing to do with my skills. The questions were behavioral and were geared to expose weakness for which I did not do a good job even with military experience, 15 years professional experience, MBA, and other certifications. I waited 4 weeks and did not hear back from anyone so I withdrew my application with a note that stated if they wanted to consider me for employment that they would need to reach out by a certain date to let me know.

Interview Questions
    • If you had concerns about a manager being unethical in thier job how would you handle the situation.   View Answer

Protection and Controls Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy.

I applied through the website and received an email asking to set up an interview time withing 3 weeks. The interview was with 3 people: the head of the department I would be working for and the heads of two other closely related departments. The interview was very relaxed and straightforward. There were 6-8 behavioral questions followed by some casual chatting. It lasted about an hour. They told me they would be getting in touch with me soon on their decision. I received a call 2 week after the interview telling me that they were extending an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself & your academic history.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you overcame a problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your senior design project. How is is relevant to the real world/Duke's business?   Answer Question
    • What are your greatest strengths & weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • Sell yourself. Why do you want to work for Duke?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Firm number I was told.

Operator Tech I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy.

I received an invitation via email to be Interviewed. It's been 2 weeks since being interviewed and still waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about things other employees did at your last job that you didn't like.   Answer Question

Transmission Engineering Co-op Position Fall 2014 Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Spoke with Civil Engineer at NCSU Co-Op Fair, was told to come to an information session the next day. Came there and signed up for an interview following the info session. Had an on-campus interview a week later. Interviewed with a Civil and an Electrical Engineer.

Interview Questions
    • If two co-workers are disagreeing on a solution to a problem, how would you intervene and come to a solution?   Answer Question
    • If you were hired, and saw a process or problem within the company, how would you go about fixing the problem?   Answer Question
    • Why is it important to understand the company's rules, regulations and processes as a co op student?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time, whether at work, class or anywhere else, when you had to come up with a creative solution to a problem.   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I was first brought in for a 1:1 interview with the manager that I would be reporting to. She was extremely friendly and welcoming. I then had a phone interview with someone who had just moved up from the position that I was interviewing for to a Recruiter position. She was also very friendly but asked pretty much the same questions as I was asked in the first interview so it seemed kind of repetitive and pointless.

Interview Questions
    • If you get this job, you will have to learn a lot of new software. How will you learn the new software and why is it important to learn it in that way?   Answer Question