Duke Energy

Updated Nov 27, 2014

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southport, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southport, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in January 2014.

Submit resume online. Make it passed that, go to phone interview. Then job is offered.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in past work experience when you had to go against what a peer or colleague wanted and if it was the right decision.   Answer Question

Nuclear Engineer Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy in December 2013.

Received an e-mail about 2-3 weeks after submitting my resume/cover letter online to schedule a phone interview. Interview was 30 minutes long with a mid-level engineer who asked me why I wanted to work for the company and why I wanted to pursue a career in nuclear energy. He then proceeded to ask me generic STAR questions such as "Explain a time a project didn't go as planned, how did you handle it?"

3 weeks later, I received a call from HR to schedule another phone interview with the hiring manager. However, it was actually a 2:1 interview with the hiring manager and another senior engineer. The interview was unbelievably comfortable, as we just talked about my classes, the weather, and why I wanted to work at Duke Energy.

One month later, I received another call from HR saying the hiring manager would like to extend an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why Duke Energy?
      Explain a time that a project didn't go as planned, how did you handle it?
      What was the hardest decision you had to make in college?

Answer Question
    No negotiation. The salary is fixed and is based on academic standing.

Project Manager I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Be prepared to wait for a few weeks up to 2/3 months to be contacted once you submit a resume. While the hiring managers may be in a hurry to fill the spot, the HR process is painfully slow. The interview was professional and questions were relevant. It was difficult, but I expected it to be as a young man coming from a different industry altogether.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience in solving multi-stakeholder issues? How do you define success? Where will you want to be in 5 years, 10 years, 15 years? What is your take on professional development? What motivates you? How do you handle highly stressful situations? Are you willing to travel 70% of the time? Are you comfortable with relocating to Charlotte?   Answer Question
    Duke Energy does not like to negotiate, But they are competitive (

Intern Nuclear Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy.

The interview was straight forward and they responded very quickly

Interview Questions
    Hardly any needed, great offer!

IT Manager II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in September 2013.

Phone screen, flight to Charlotte for a day of interviews, series of interviews at Florida headquarters, follow up meeting with another VP.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected for the position. They used a combination of behavioral-based questions and questions regarding my philosophic approach to my professional responsibilities.   View Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

interviewed at Duke Energy in September 2013.

Quick overview of the company was given in the beginning of interview. All questions were behavioral.

Database Administrator Interview

if you come work here as a consultant, its easy to get FT. Interview process was pretty simple. Just straight forward questions any DBA should know.

nothing much, i knew what the best i could get.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy in July 2013.

I applied for a position through a staffing agency. They called and scheduled me for a proctored computer test at the Duke Energy office. The test was composed of sections measuring your Microsoft Word skills, Excel skills, proof reading skills, and complex mathematical equations without the use of a calculator. I am still trying to figure out why an administrative assistant needs to be able to do complex math equations in their head.

Interview Questions
    • The Word, Excel, and proofreading tests were very easy. The math section composed of 20 word problems that you had 8 minutes to solve. Questions were very complex and involved percentages, fractions etc. You are not allowed to use a calculator. Questions were similar to those you'd find on the SAT.   Answer Question

Product Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Applied online through the company website. Received an email to schedule a phone interview (I was out of state). Initial phone interview was with the hiring manager and lasted over an hour. I was asked a whole list of questions pertaining to my previous experience and situational behavior. Three weeks after phone interview I was asked to come to Charlotte for a 4 hour in person with multiple people at all levels. This was more of a personality fit type interview and some minor questions about past experience.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time that a project didn't go as planned, how did you handle it and how did you tell the client   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate. Didn't have to push very hard, but I probably could have gotten more if I countered their second offer but they beat another offer I had so I accepted.

Engineer Interview

I was interviewed by a group of people, two engineers, an accountant, and one other individual whose job title I don't recall. They asked me six behavioral questions and then asked me if I had any questions for them. It wasn't too bad but the hiring engineer said "we will contact all of the candidates by the end of next week to let them know our decision". giving them roughly two weeks to decided, but it took about seven and a half weeks to hear back saying they chose another candidate. I assumed that was the situation after a month.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us of a time when you and a fellow coworker disagreed on a decision and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question