Duke Energy Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.9

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

The process took a while, I applied online in August, got a prescreener call later in the month, interviewed in the beginning of September, got offered a position in October.

The interview was pretty straight forward and laid back. It was in STAR format. This interview was easier than a retail job I applied for.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had a difficult customer, how did you resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy in November 2014.

Interview

Upon entry, I was greeted by the hiring manager. Interview started with a powerpoint presentation on Duke Energy and an interview by the hiring manager. For the next 2 and half minutes, I was interviewed by the three different people in the financial department. The interview ended with lunch with two young employees of Duke Energy. All in all, the interview was 4 hours long.

Interview Questions

• What particular event/situation did you have to take control and use your leadership abilities?   Answer Question

Nuclear Generation(Electrical) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in November 2014.

Interview

I had just one phone interview where I was interviewed by three people. It was mosty behavioural questions like tell me a time when you have met a time, your biggest achievements etc. Few questions from course projects I had done- what I had done, what I found difficult and how I handled it.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy (Charlotte, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and then about a 2 weeks later, I got a call for a phone interview. The guy was really nice and asked me several questions, including which HR department I would be interested in. Then about 2 weeks after that, I received an email for an in person interview. I picked two departments so I had two interviews. You'll have an interview with 1-4 HR people in the particular department. Be personable and honest. I was offered the position with my first choice a week later!

Interview Questions

• How do you think that your work experiences and classes will help you in this field?   Answer Question

College Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

They prefer to do in person interviews but my was a phone interview because I was out of town. They asked the standard interview questions like greatest strengths, weaknesses, why I chose electrical engineering.

Interview Questions

• A time you had a leadership position and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Co-op rates are set at a corporate level.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

Two ladies interviewed me, which is a surprise for me, because that is the different person I have been told of. The interview was about 20 mins long, asked about some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your past experience about conflicts with your co-worker.   Answer Question

Engineering Technologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in August 2014.

Interview

Only one interview after submitting application. No specific technical test or questions. Questions were situational in nature to test project management experience. Examples include, how to respond if you witnessed a safety infraction or unethical behavior. First person examples were desired for each question. Was given call by hiring manager ten days later with offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflicting directions from two persons of authority?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not attempt negotiation, terms were acceptable

Production Team Member Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

After a long, but not too difficult, test they will interview with the STAR format. A book of all questions to be asked is provided ahead of time. As long as you take the time ahead to prepare, there are no surprises and you can go into the interview feeling relaxed.

Interview Questions

• None really, you have all the time you need ahead to prepare a good answer.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy.

Interview

Applied as a former college co-op. The interview was all behavior based questions. (Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult colleague etc). The questions were repetitive so be prepared to have multiple stories for similar questions. A lot of the questions were tell me about a time in a negative situation

Interview Questions

• I wasn't prepared to share that many stories in which I dealt with a negative situation and made it positive   Answer Question

I decided to pursue another career field

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

In person interview. 3 people conducted the interview. Some people might consider a panel interview intimidating so I would say prepare for that aspect. Some technical questions about thermodynamics, tolerances, equipment fatigue and working in a plant environment etc. Many were general questions like tell me about yourself etc. They are very focused on company fit with existing personell and asked may behavorial type of questions.

Interview Questions

• What value do you bring to the position that other candidates do not?   Answer Question