Duke Energy

Updated Nov 27, 2014
Updated Nov 27, 2014

Finance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy in May 2013.

Applied online in late February and was surprised to receive a call in May asking me to come in for an interview (I assumed that I was out of the running). I was told that my resume had been pulled for two positions and that I would be interviewing for both on the same day. One was in the accounting department and the other in finance. Travel expenses were provided for by Duke. On the day of the interview, I first met with the hiring manager for an initial interview. It was easy and relaxing, just trying to make me feel comfortable with the environment. I was shown around the new office (really cool views of Panther's stadium) before I went in for the accounting interview. Once again, it was very fun and relaxing. The interview was more of conversation than prewritten questions that I needed to answer. Afterwards, I was walked across the street to Duke's older headquarters where I had my finance interview. It was with two finance managers who were both looking for people to join their teams. The interview was a bit more structured, but none of the questions were too difficult. Mostly behavioral. Got an offer for the finance position about a week later. Overall, it was a pretty fun, low pressure experience.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you noticed your superior being unethical?   Answer Question
    I am very happy with the offer as a new college grad

Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy.

Takes forever to hear anything, but well worth the wait I'm sure. Took probably 6 weeks to get an email to go for the MASS testing. Study for this one, you're gonna need it. Also, study wiring diagrams and get good at tracing them quickly. The physical abilities testing came afterwards, if you can wipe your own butt you can pass this portion of the test. After that I was close to 2 months before hearing anything on the interview. Interview was very straight forward with an emphasis on safety.

Contracts Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Duke Energy.

HR/recruiting was good and timely regarding communication. I was told I'd interview with the hiring manager but walked into a room of 3 total people. The interview was 3 parts. Talk about yourself, answer 9 predetermined questions, and then ask any questions. Everyone was very nice. I was told they'd be interviewing a lot of people, which is what I read for other interviews on this site about the company.

Co-Op Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke Energy.

I received an interview at my college job fair. I had an on-campus interview the next day. Three weeks later they offered me a job over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Most were typical behavioral questions asked during an interview.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate for this position.

Lead Financial Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in December 2012.

I applied for the job through the company website and was called for interview in about 2 weeks. The interview was conducted by the hiring managing and her late arriving pen-tapping manager in a small cramped conference room with no windows. It was a rushed 35 minutes even though they said it would be 45 minutes. The questions were all behavioral based and did not relate to my personal experiences. They were intended to reveal weaknesses. I am a bit of a perfectionist and very good at what I do. I was an outstanding candidate for the job but the interview made me look inadequate because I couldn't relate the stories of failure and how I handled it that they wanted to hear.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you promised a customer something you couldn't deliver or that was bad for the company.   View Answer

C&M Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy in October 2012.

Interview process involves sitting in front of a board of select managers and HR personel and they ask you pre-printed question about your skills, knowledge of the job and technical questions involving the job you are after.

Interview Questions
    • What would make you a better supervisor than any of the other person we are inteviewing? What are your strenghths?   Answer Question
    No negotiation involved. They had a set salary and benifits package right from the beginning.Open to view before appling for the position.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Duke Energy in August 2012.

Four separate interviews, two by phone with recruiters and 2 on site. The first on site interview is with th hiring manager and the second on site with the hiring manager's peers

Interview Questions
    • Where do you expect to be in five years?   View Answer
    Names my preferred salary and negotiated from there.

Intern, General Office, Nuclear Plant Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke Energy in November 2011.

A few weeks after submitting the application, I received a call from my recruiter to set up a time for a phone interview. The interview was about 30min long and was mostly leadership and group work-type questions. Overall, the process was easy and stress free

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest decision you had to make in college   Answer Question
    None. I accepted the full terms.

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke Energy in November 2010.

I applied through my school's engineering career services website. Perhaps a couple months later I got called in for an on-site interview. I did have to travel by car approximately 100 miles for the interview, but they took care of all expenses. After the interview, I heard back two dats later.

Better offer elsewhere

Applications Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Duke Energy in April 2010.

Had an interview with the hiring manager for an application support position. Overall, there was some technical questions and some personality type questions. The technical questions were more like "do you have experience with x" vs "how would you solve x". Overall, the interviewer was very professional, and positive about the experience.

Interview Questions
    • How comfortable are you with SQL server (i.e. Installing, writing queries, etc.)?   Answer Question

realized that the job was lower level then I had gathered from the emails beforehand.