Duke University Health System Registered Nurse Interview Questions

3.5

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Duke University Health System.

Interview

I applied while a student at Duke. They informed us when the job posting would be released. It was closed rather quickly. This was one of the years when it was hard for new grad RNs to find work. I interviewed first with the manager, then had a peer interview. I think it took almost a month.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't surprised by questions. Maybe just about my skills, as I didn't know what they were looking for specifically.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Duke University Health System

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Duke University Health System (Durham, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

some pre-interview phone questions: - why do you want to work at duke - describe a difficulty and how you overcame it - describe a situation where multitasking was necessary and how did you complete your work - what do you like about your current job - what do you not like about your current job - how would you rate yourself between 1 - 10 on the follow qualifications: interpersonal skills, technical ability, creativity, ability to learn, etc (whatever qualification you rated yourself lowest on, then they ask what have you done recently to improve yourself in that area) actual interview was 1 hour in-person with hiring manager and clinical lead followed by 2 hour shadow of team members.

Interview Questions

• what would your last supervisor say about you. who are some of the difficult doctors you have worked with and how did you handle them.   Answer Question
    • have you ever seen a classmate or coworker cheating (or doing something unethical) and what was your reaction... did you report it...   Answer Question
    • how do you multitask and deal with interruptions. what gets you stressed or irritated.   Answer Question
    • describe a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty   Answer Question
    • why should we hire you. tell me about your resume and how come you are not working in...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Duke University Health System (Raleigh, NC) in November 2010.

Interview

I went to the hospital in person to speak with a recruiter but a receptinist at HR stated that I had to submit my resume on line first. Since I was employee in the past, it would be a rehire, and I already knew people in management. There was no openingpositions available on line for medical surgical RN at the time of my interview. I went to see the manager for surgical floor but she was not in her office. I run into a clinical specialist, and he set an interview date with a medical floor manager for me. Three days later, I went in, had an interview with a medical floor manager (clinical specialist present in the room) and was offered an job. For the technicality, I still had to apply my resume on line. One of the nurses was retiring in a month, and I became her replacement.

Interview Questions

• The manager at the time asked me, knowing that I used to work for Duke Raleigh, what I would change about the work place.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate at the time of hire but asked if I could have a weekend position (one of the weekend option nurses left) after working for a year. It was finally granted 9 months later.