Duke University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.6

Director International Projects Interview

applied the job from posting. first round of on-site met with direct supervisors and other people who would work with the candidate. Second round on-site met with other people in the school.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   View Answer

Campus Sustainability Fellow Interview

Application and in -person interview with Director of Environmental Sustainability

Interview Questions
    • Describe climate change to a fourth grade student in three sentences   Answer Question
    No Negotiation

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

2 interviews, one phone and one onsite

no negotiation

Fitness Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Duke University.

Submitted my resume through the Duke University HR department. Followed by a phone interview then came to an on-site interview where I met with the program manager, program coordinator, and other fitness specialist. Typical interview questions, nothing too hard, really just trying to get a feel for you personality and if you will fit in their team and participants at Duke.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were typical interview questions focused around exercise. Questions about training participants, costumer service, and flexibility.   Answer Question
    There was none, it was an entry level position.

Undergraduate Applicant Interview

Interviewed by an old lady who graduated decades ago. Accidentally miscommunicated the Starbucks at which we were planning to meet. Had to call her and reschedule, but the phone number she gave me was only for her home so I couldn't even call her until she had left the interview site and went home. Didn't get accepted, but probably not because of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any difficult questions, and she seemed mostly interested in my experiences, etc.   Answer Question

Camp Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Duke University.

Word of mouth opportunity, but able to contact the WBB program to inquire about future camps. No traditional interview here. Wanted to know about collegiate playing experience, volunteer work, etc.

No negotiating. This was a "contract" type job for the duration of the summer camp.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Duke University.

Everything is decided by the PI, not the committee because of the culture. First will be contacting the PI with emails, after you will have a personal meeting with the PI. If the background matches, you will get the oral admission in the same day. The official admission will arrive in a couple of months.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Duke University in January 2014.

Talked to a professor and asked for TA, since I got a great grade in his class, he recommended me to another professor to be the TA. The hiring process took a month and a half, which is ridiculous. But after that I can fill in online timecard which is very convenient.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

I had a serendipitous introduction that led to an off-handed mention of a job opening. I followed up on that lead and never really had a formal interview. I was lucky.

No negotiation

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!