Duke University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.6

Comparative Medicine Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

Typically start off with a phone interview. If that goes well, they will bring you in to start as a temporary employee. Once you have completed your 90 days, you will have a face-to-face interview in front of a number of managers/ supervisors.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about using animals for medical research?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

I interviewed with multiple professors. Most professors were interested in asking me about my background. Then they each spoke about their ongoing and proposed research. I asked several questions showing interest and hopefully understanding.

Assistant Interview

Interview

Had one interview to land a student-worker job. Pretty straightforward. It's not really a matter of whether you fit, more of whether you're willing to do the work. Afterwards, it takes probably a week to get started on a project an working. The payment system is antiquated but I think they're finally moving towards a direct deposit option for all.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I took the offer as a stuent.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Called me via phone and set up an in person interview after a brief phone interview. I went in for the in person interview and thought it went well but didn't hear anything back for a week and a half. Then 2 weeks after I interviewed I received an email that they had hired someone else for the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses and why have you not been able to recognize them and turn them into strengths?   Answer Question

IT Support Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

Interview

The interview process was a lengthy one. After applying, I didn't hear anything for over a month. Later, I received a phone call from their HR department, and they gave me a phone screen. Next, I got a call from the hiring manager, then later a call from the department manager. They then asked me in for an in-person interview, then asked me to come back for a panel interview and a personality and skills test. It took forever.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much room for negotiation, so make sure to demand the salary you want up front. Duke isn't known for giving big raises either, so you want to lock in your salary at a high number because years later you'll still be making about the same.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview lasted around 45 minutes, it was semi-informal, and more about personal traits and ideas for the role than experience. This is generally the tone for student interviews for this role however I think it varies largely on the professor employing. Some may even elect to have their current assistants interview new recruits.

Interview Questions

• What do you think might be beneficial for the students in terms of hands on application of the material?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not much room to negotiate. The compensation is a standard rate university wide and the interviewer couldn't directly influence this. What was negotiable was the allocation of grading.

Student IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duke University.

Interview

You come in for an interview with Erin, most likely, and one of the student supervisors. They ask you what you know about computers and so long as you know how to maintain your own computer with antivirus software, weekly cleanups, etc you should do fine. The software the OIT uses for clientele's computers just so happened to be the freeware I use on my own computer so I inadvertently showed I was savvy and they seemed pleased.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't one. It was very much a behavioral interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

One phone interview with hiring manager, followed by three in-person interviews, first with department faculty administrators (e.g., Director of Graduate Studies, Chair of Education, hiring manager), then with prospective co-workers (including hiring manager), then with Chair of academi department.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk about a situation where you felt creatively challenged, and how you went about finding a solution?   1 Answer

Director International Projects Interview

Interview

applied the job from posting. first round of on-site met with direct supervisors and other people who would work with the candidate. Second round on-site met with other people in the school.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions

• Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   1 Answer