Duke University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.6

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in September 2010.

Interview

It is like any other university with SOPs, GRE, Recommendations.etc

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in March 2009.

Interview

interview was professional and cordial. Interviewed with three different faculty members and several graduate students. Duke paid for a nice meal as part of my visit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation for a doctoral program

Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duke University.

Interview

The interview process involved meeting with a variety of directors and administrators over the course of two days and included a presentation to a large group as well as breakfast, lunch, and dinner groups. Each meeting was peppered with questions regarding real and hypothetical situations, gathering feedback on how I would respond to each situation were I to be in the position. Interviewers took copious notes during my interview, and it turns out, an internal candidate who was in the interview process had already secured the position. I gave two days of free consultation to tell this person how to do the job.

Interview Questions

• Questions revolved around student situations, surveys, and general dealings within the university.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in January 2011.

Interview

I went through the standard PhD application process: submitting GRE scores, two writing samples, three recommendations, all my transcripts in electronic and hard copy, and a personal statement. There were no in-person interviews as part of the process. However, once accepted, the department invited (and flew in and accommodated) all the accepted students that year to a "prospective visit" where you had the chance to meet your incoming cohort, older graduate students, and have one-on-one information interviews with the professors of your choice. There were also social events and tours of the housing in the area. The whole process was incredibly friendly and fast: all the US universities have an April 15th acceptance deadline for applicants, so if you are accepted, you will know by late Jan / Feb (so only a month or so after application deadlines). That way the department can plan to fly you in for the prospective visit and try to "convince" you to work with them, as opposed to the other universities you might have an offer from. It's incredible and there is nothing else like it in academia in other countries!

Interview Questions

• What are your career plans after the PhD.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation of the offer was not applicable, and anyway it was very generous by world PhD standards.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview lasted around 45 minutes, it was semi-informal, and more about personal traits and ideas for the role than experience. This is generally the tone for student interviews for this role however I think it varies largely on the professor employing. Some may even elect to have their current assistants interview new recruits.

Interview Questions

• What do you think might be beneficial for the students in terms of hands on application of the material?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not much room to negotiate. The compensation is a standard rate university wide and the interviewer couldn't directly influence this. What was negotiable was the allocation of grading.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

Sort of haphazard depending on the lab you want to work in. Usually pretty basic questions and not a whole lot of pressure. One interview with a lab manager wound up with only a couple of questions asked and the rest of the time was him waxing eloquent about various scientific issues! Still, it was definitely just a relaxed atmosphere with a lot of very intelligent individuals. They are not interested in grilling you or making you sweat to earn the job. Pretty typical interview questions, plus maybe some based on the topic of interest that the particular lab is working on. I can't think of any real hard technical questions that they asked, most of it was knowledge I had as a result of my education in a related area. You can expect to speak with several individuals, but that's not that bad considering you'll probably be working pretty closely with them for however long you will be in the lab. Most of it is probably to determine if you'll be content doing lab drudgery and if you'll fit the culture of the particular lab in question.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in March 2011.

Interview

On campus interviews. Individual interviews with four faculty members followed by interview by a panel of six faculty members. Questions focused on past scientific studies as well as particular areas of interest at Duke. Met with current graduate students to learn more about the school. Tours were conducted to showcase the laboratories and surrounding area.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in July 2010.

Interview

My first interview was a phone screening with my current manager. After that I was invited on-campus to meet with various groups that work closely with my office. Each group consisted of 2-5 people. I also had to do a presentation based on a prompt. My interview was from 9-4 and included a lunch interview and a 15 minute break to setup for my presentation.

Interview Questions

• Describe challenges you faced in working with difficult stakeholders.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate.

Store Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in September 2011.

Interview

Two separate interviews. One with the manager and one with upper management. Very relaxed, but professional. Most questions had to do with prior experience operating a business and how easy it would be to transition into working for someone else. They made me feel very comfortable and it was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Do you see any challenges in working for someone else after having owned your own business?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in April 2012.

Interview

Email, onsite job talk

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation