Duke University

Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.6

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Duke University in September 2010.

It is like any other university with SOPs, GRE, Recommendations.etc

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duke University in March 2009.

interview was professional and cordial. Interviewed with three different faculty members and several graduate students. Duke paid for a nice meal as part of my visit.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation for a doctoral program

Staff Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Duke University in April 2010.

I emailed my resume to the manager, who responded with an email requesting a phone interview. That went well (lasted about 30 minutes), so I was given a chance to come in for a face to face. I met with three people, then was tested on basic office software usage and writing ability.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a mistake you made and how you went about fixing it.   Answer Question

Duke Engage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in November 2009.

The Duke Engage process required us to submit an application online and after that we had to interview with the site coordinator who asked a series of questions about personality, goals for the future and what we wanted to get out of the program

Interview Questions
    • Why this program instead of the other 20 you could apply to   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person – interviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

Email, onsite job talk

No negotiation

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

The interview is a pretty straight forward process. If coming from the outside the interviews are usually 1/2 day. Duke is big and individual departments have some discretion so a lot depends on where you are interviewing specifically. The hiring process is nothing out of the ordinary - they make an offer and you go from there.

I was able to negotiate. Shoot high, as you will likely not get a substantial increase for a while, if ever if you stay in the position.

Fitness Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Duke University.

Submitted my resume through the Duke University HR department. Followed by a phone interview then came to an on-site interview where I met with the program manager, program coordinator, and other fitness specialist. Typical interview questions, nothing too hard, really just trying to get a feel for you personality and if you will fit in their team and participants at Duke.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were typical interview questions focused around exercise. Questions about training participants, costumer service, and flexibility.   Answer Question
    There was none, it was an entry level position.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

The process began with a phone screen, then an in person interview with the hiring manager, the team that the particular role would be a part of, and the person who was facilitating the search. Overall, the process was good, and I never questioned where I stood in the process. They were clear about informing me what would happen next as well as the time frame that it would happen in.

Interview Questions
    • There was no extremely difficult question or one that I didn't expect.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Duke University in February 2013.

I came across the position through Dukelist which is the online classifieds page for Duke. I emailed the lady who posted it with my resumé and she got back to me the next day to set up the interview. The interview was conducted over skype as I was not able to visit the office (I wasn't in the state). I was interviewed by two people, one would be my supervisor and the other was a colleague of hers. I heard back from them a week later with the offer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty much standard, I was applying for an assistantship which had a very specific job description, so they asked a few scenario questions. They also placed a lot of emphasis on teamwork and asked for a lot of examples on that.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, the salary was standard & was posted in the job listing.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   View Answer