Duke University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.6

Interview

I submitted the application through Duke website. I was required to submit, undergrad transcripts, Statement of purpose, and 3 Letter of Recommendations. After few days, I was asked for a suitable time for skype interview, which was scheduled for about 1 hour. Question: 1. Tell me about your experience during your internship.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about your experience during your internship. 2. Why do you want to do a PhD? 3. Why the related field?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Duke PhD recruiting is different from other graduate programs. Doesn't matter how qualified you are, they match you with a professor... if there's no match, you won't get in. If you get the interview (campus visit), you're basically already in.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Everything is decided by the PI, not the committee because of the culture. First will be contacting the PI with emails, after you will have a personal meeting with the PI. If the background matches, you will get the oral admission in the same day. The official admission will arrive in a couple of months.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Got to konw the opeening from a professor, who circulated my resume to the professor directly. Then a phone call and two following interview. Apresentation about my previous research was given to show my research capability. Questions from 15 audiences (including scholors and students) were answered and evluated.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Technique questions, how long you wanna to work?

Interview Questions

• Some technique questinons in details, like what is cross linker   Answer Question

Interview

I had a serendipitous introduction that led to an off-handed mention of a job opening. I followed up on that lead and never really had a formal interview. I was lucky.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Assistant Director, Student Affairs Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

I had a 5 hour interview for a department where the position would be responsible for managing training events for faculty and students. I was required to prepare a 15 minute presentation on how I would go about the training and present it in a PowerPoint in front of 10 people from the department. I then met with nine people one-on-one. it went well and I got to learn a lot about the position.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time where you had to interact with different groups (ie. Students and faculty) and it didn't go over the way it should have?   Answer Question

Undergraduate Applicant Interview

Interview

Interviewed by an old lady who graduated decades ago. Accidentally miscommunicated the Starbucks at which we were planning to meet. Had to call her and reschedule, but the phone number she gave me was only for her home so I couldn't even call her until she had left the interview site and went home. Didn't get accepted, but probably not because of the interview.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked any difficult questions, and she seemed mostly interested in my experiences, etc.   Answer Question

Interview

Application and in -person interview with Director of Environmental Sustainability

Interview Questions

• Describe climate change to a fourth grade student in three sentences   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Assistant Interview

Interview

Had one interview to land a student-worker job. Pretty straightforward. It's not really a matter of whether you fit, more of whether you're willing to do the work. Afterwards, it takes probably a week to get started on a project an working. The payment system is antiquated but I think they're finally moving towards a direct deposit option for all.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I took the offer as a stuent.