Duke University

63 candidate interviews

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

Interviewed at Duke University

Interview Details – I submitted the application through Duke website. I was required to submit, undergrad transcripts, Statement of purpose, and 3 Letter of Recommendations. After few days, I was asked for a suitable time for skype interview, which was scheduled for about 1 hour.
Question:
1. Tell me about your experience during your internship.

Interview Question – 1. Tell me about your experience during your internship.
2. Why do you want to do a PhD?
3. Why the related field?
  Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

Interview Details – Duke PhD recruiting is different from other graduate programs. Doesn't matter how qualified you are, they match you with a professor... if there's no match, you won't get in. If you get the interview (campus visit), you're basically already in.

Interview Question – It depends on the faculty member...   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Duke University.

Interview Details – Everything is decided by the PI, not the committee because of the culture. First will be contacting the PI with emails, after you will have a personal meeting with the PI. If the background matches, you will get the oral admission in the same day. The official admission will arrive in a couple of months.

Interview Question – Everything is about your research.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

Interview Details – Got to konw the opeening from a professor, who circulated my resume to the professor directly. Then a phone call and two following interview. Apresentation about my previous research was given to show my research capability. Questions from 15 audiences (including scholors and students) were answered and evluated.

Interview Question – Some technique questions   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

Interview Details – Technique questions, how long you wanna to work?

Interview Question – Some technique questinons in details, like what is cross linker   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Associate

Interviewed at Duke University

Interview Details – I had a serendipitous introduction that led to an off-handed mention of a job opening. I followed up on that lead and never really had a formal interview. I was lucky.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Assistant Director, Student Affairs Interview

Assistant Director, Student Affairs

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

Interview Details – I had a 5 hour interview for a department where the position would be responsible for managing training events for faculty and students. I was required to prepare a 15 minute presentation on how I would go about the training and present it in a PowerPoint in front of 10 people from the department. I then met with nine people one-on-one. it went well and I got to learn a lot about the position.

Interview Question – Was there ever a time where you had to interact with different groups (ie. Students and faculty) and it didn't go over the way it should have?   Answer Question

Undergraduate Applicant Interview

Undergraduate Applicant

Interviewed at Duke University

Interview Details – Interviewed by an old lady who graduated decades ago. Accidentally miscommunicated the Starbucks at which we were planning to meet. Had to call her and reschedule, but the phone number she gave me was only for her home so I couldn't even call her until she had left the interview site and went home. Didn't get accepted, but probably not because of the interview.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any difficult questions, and she seemed mostly interested in my experiences, etc.   Answer Question

Campus Sustainability Fellow Interview

Campus Sustainability Fellow

Interviewed at Duke University

Interview Details – Application and in -person interview with Director of Environmental Sustainability

Interview Question – Describe climate change to a fourth grade student in three sentences   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Director International Projects Interview

Director International Projects

Interviewed at Duke University

Interview Details – applied the job from posting. first round of on-site met with direct supervisors and other people who would work with the candidate. Second round on-site met with other people in the school.

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!