Duke University

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.6

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

Called me via phone and set up an in person interview after a brief phone interview. I went in for the in person interview and thought it went well but didn't hear anything back for a week and a half. Then 2 weeks after I interviewed I received an email that they had hired someone else for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses and why have you not been able to recognize them and turn them into strengths?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Had one interview to land a student-worker job. Pretty straightforward. It's not really a matter of whether you fit, more of whether you're willing to do the work. Afterwards, it takes probably a week to get started on a project an working. The payment system is antiquated but I think they're finally moving towards a direct deposit option for all.

Interview Questions
    I took the offer as a stuent.

IT Support Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

The interview process was a lengthy one. After applying, I didn't hear anything for over a month. Later, I received a phone call from their HR department, and they gave me a phone screen. Next, I got a call from the hiring manager, then later a call from the department manager. They then asked me in for an in-person interview, then asked me to come back for a panel interview and a personality and skills test. It took forever.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?   View Answer
    There wasn't much room for negotiation, so make sure to demand the salary you want up front. Duke isn't known for giving big raises either, so you want to lock in your salary at a high number because years later you'll still be making about the same.

Research Analyst Interview

was hired as a contract employee first, simple comfortable interview. Nothing too difficult, boos was nice and understanding offered job immidiately. met hr process was simple there too. overall good experience

Student IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duke University.

You come in for an interview with Erin, most likely, and one of the student supervisors. They ask you what you know about computers and so long as you know how to maintain your own computer with antivirus software, weekly cleanups, etc you should do fine. The software the OIT uses for clientele's computers just so happened to be the freeware I use on my own computer so I inadvertently showed I was savvy and they seemed pleased.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one. It was very much a behavioral interview   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Duke University in July 2010.

My first interview was a phone screening with my current manager. After that I was invited on-campus to meet with various groups that work closely with my office. Each group consisted of 2-5 people. I also had to do a presentation based on a prompt. My interview was from 9-4 and included a lunch interview and a 15 minute break to setup for my presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Describe challenges you faced in working with difficult stakeholders.   Answer Question
    Was not able to negotiate.

Director International Projects Interview

applied the job from posting. first round of on-site met with direct supervisors and other people who would work with the candidate. Second round on-site met with other people in the school.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke University in January 2013.

You must talk to many, many people. The higher your expected position the more people you talk to. Expect to come in for multiple interviews (3 or more). Process is very slow.

Interview Questions
    • Just standard interview questions. Nothing designed to trick you.   Answer Question
    Non-existent. Take it or leave it.

ECE MS Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Duke University in February 2014.

1point3acres.com there is more info about the questions they asked. The questions to each candidate is approximately the same. No tech questions.
    Get you webcam working. The speed cannot be slow. And you cannot answer the questions as recited.

Interview Questions
    • The questions to each candidate is approximately the same. No tech questions.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   View Answer