Duke University Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.6

Fitness Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Duke University.

Submitted my resume through the Duke University HR department. Followed by a phone interview then came to an on-site interview where I met with the program manager, program coordinator, and other fitness specialist. Typical interview questions, nothing too hard, really just trying to get a feel for you personality and if you will fit in their team and participants at Duke.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were typical interview questions focused around exercise. Questions about training participants, costumer service, and flexibility.   Answer Question
    There was none, it was an entry level position.

Undergraduate Applicant Interview

Interviewed by an old lady who graduated decades ago. Accidentally miscommunicated the Starbucks at which we were planning to meet. Had to call her and reschedule, but the phone number she gave me was only for her home so I couldn't even call her until she had left the interview site and went home. Didn't get accepted, but probably not because of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any difficult questions, and she seemed mostly interested in my experiences, etc.   Answer Question

Camp Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duke University.

Word of mouth opportunity, but able to contact the WBB program to inquire about future camps. No traditional interview here. Wanted to know about collegiate playing experience, volunteer work, etc.

No negotiating. This was a "contract" type job for the duration of the summer camp.

ECE Master Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East China, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East China, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Duke University in February 2014.

Online skype interview, 30 minutes. The questions are behavior questions to know my background and my communication skills. After about one week, I got the email that I was admitted.

Interview Questions
    • just behavior questions like introduce yourself, why did you apply, what you will do when you face challenge....   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University.

Everything is decided by the PI, not the committee because of the culture. First will be contacting the PI with emails, after you will have a personal meeting with the PI. If the background matches, you will get the oral admission in the same day. The official admission will arrive in a couple of months.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke University in January 2014.

Talked to a professor and asked for TA, since I got a great grade in his class, he recommended me to another professor to be the TA. The hiring process took a month and a half, which is ridiculous. But after that I can fill in online timecard which is very convenient.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

I had a serendipitous introduction that led to an off-handed mention of a job opening. I followed up on that lead and never really had a formal interview. I was lucky.

No negotiation

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I submitted the application through Duke website. I was required to submit, undergrad transcripts, Statement of purpose, and 3 Letter of Recommendations. After few days, I was asked for a suitable time for skype interview, which was scheduled for about 1 hour.
    Question:
    1. Tell me about your experience during your internship.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about your experience during your internship.
      2. Why do you want to do a PhD?
      3. Why the related field?

Answer Question

Assistant Director, Student Affairs Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

I had a 5 hour interview for a department where the position would be responsible for managing training events for faculty and students. I was required to prepare a 15 minute presentation on how I would go about the training and present it in a PowerPoint in front of 10 people from the department. I then met with nine people one-on-one. it went well and I got to learn a lot about the position.

Interview Questions
    • Was there ever a time where you had to interact with different groups (ie. Students and faculty) and it didn't go over the way it should have?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Duke University.

Very straight forward Postdoctoral interview experience.

NA