Duke University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015
Updated Apr 3, 2015

2.6

Campus Sustainability Fellow Interview

Interview

Application and in -person interview with Director of Environmental Sustainability

Interview Questions

• Describe climate change to a fourth grade student in three sentences   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Student Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

2 interviews, one phone and one onsite

Negotiation

no negotiation

Fitness Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Submitted my resume through the Duke University HR department. Followed by a phone interview then came to an on-site interview where I met with the program manager, program coordinator, and other fitness specialist. Typical interview questions, nothing too hard, really just trying to get a feel for you personality and if you will fit in their team and participants at Duke.

Interview Questions

• All questions were typical interview questions focused around exercise. Questions about training participants, costumer service, and flexibility.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none, it was an entry level position.

Interview

Interviewed by an old lady who graduated decades ago. Accidentally miscommunicated the Starbucks at which we were planning to meet. Had to call her and reschedule, but the phone number she gave me was only for her home so I couldn't even call her until she had left the interview site and went home. Didn't get accepted, but probably not because of the interview.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked any difficult questions, and she seemed mostly interested in my experiences, etc.   Answer Question

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Word of mouth opportunity, but able to contact the WBB program to inquire about future camps. No traditional interview here. Wanted to know about collegiate playing experience, volunteer work, etc.

Negotiation

No negotiating. This was a "contract" type job for the duration of the summer camp.

ECE Master Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Duke University (East China, MI) in February 2014.

Interview

Online skype interview, 30 minutes. The questions are behavior questions to know my background and my communication skills. After about one week, I got the email that I was admitted.

Interview Questions

• just behavior questions like introduce yourself, why did you apply, what you will do when you face challenge....   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Everything is decided by the PI, not the committee because of the culture. First will be contacting the PI with emails, after you will have a personal meeting with the PI. If the background matches, you will get the oral admission in the same day. The official admission will arrive in a couple of months.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in January 2014.

Interview

Talked to a professor and asked for TA, since I got a great grade in his class, he recommended me to another professor to be the TA. The hiring process took a month and a half, which is ridiculous. But after that I can fill in online timecard which is very convenient.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Interview

I had a serendipitous introduction that led to an off-handed mention of a job opening. I followed up on that lead and never really had a formal interview. I was lucky.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I submitted the application through Duke website. I was required to submit, undergrad transcripts, Statement of purpose, and 3 Letter of Recommendations. After few days, I was asked for a suitable time for skype interview, which was scheduled for about 1 hour.
    Question:
    1. Tell me about your experience during your internship.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about your experience during your internship.
      2. Why do you want to do a PhD?
      3. Why the related field?

Answer Question