Duke University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.6

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview lasted around 45 minutes, it was semi-informal, and more about personal traits and ideas for the role than experience. This is generally the tone for student interviews for this role however I think it varies largely on the professor employing. Some may even elect to have their current assistants interview new recruits.

Interview Questions

• What do you think might be beneficial for the students in terms of hands on application of the material?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not much room to negotiate. The compensation is a standard rate university wide and the interviewer couldn't directly influence this. What was negotiable was the allocation of grading.

Student IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

You come in for an interview with Erin, most likely, and one of the student supervisors. They ask you what you know about computers and so long as you know how to maintain your own computer with antivirus software, weekly cleanups, etc you should do fine. The software the OIT uses for clientele's computers just so happened to be the freeware I use on my own computer so I inadvertently showed I was savvy and they seemed pleased.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't one. It was very much a behavioral interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

One phone interview with hiring manager, followed by three in-person interviews, first with department faculty administrators (e.g., Director of Graduate Studies, Chair of Education, hiring manager), then with prospective co-workers (including hiring manager), then with Chair of academi department.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk about a situation where you felt creatively challenged, and how you went about finding a solution?   2 Answers

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

Sort of haphazard depending on the lab you want to work in. Usually pretty basic questions and not a whole lot of pressure. One interview with a lab manager wound up with only a couple of questions asked and the rest of the time was him waxing eloquent about various scientific issues! Still, it was definitely just a relaxed atmosphere with a lot of very intelligent individuals. They are not interested in grilling you or making you sweat to earn the job. Pretty typical interview questions, plus maybe some based on the topic of interest that the particular lab is working on. I can't think of any real hard technical questions that they asked, most of it was knowledge I had as a result of my education in a related area. You can expect to speak with several individuals, but that's not that bad considering you'll probably be working pretty closely with them for however long you will be in the lab. Most of it is probably to determine if you'll be content doing lab drudgery and if you'll fit the culture of the particular lab in question.

Interview Questions

Interview

applied the job from posting. first round of on-site met with direct supervisors and other people who would work with the candidate. Second round on-site met with other people in the school.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions

• Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   1 Answer

Interview

Application and in -person interview with Director of Environmental Sustainability

Interview Questions

• Describe climate change to a fourth grade student in three sentences   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

2 interviews, one phone and one onsite

Negotiation

no negotiation

Fitness Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duke University.

Interview

Submitted my resume through the Duke University HR department. Followed by a phone interview then came to an on-site interview where I met with the program manager, program coordinator, and other fitness specialist. Typical interview questions, nothing too hard, really just trying to get a feel for you personality and if you will fit in their team and participants at Duke.

Interview Questions

• All questions were typical interview questions focused around exercise. Questions about training participants, costumer service, and flexibility.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none, it was an entry level position.

Undergraduate Applicant Interview

Interview

Interviewed by an old lady who graduated decades ago. Accidentally miscommunicated the Starbucks at which we were planning to meet. Had to call her and reschedule, but the phone number she gave me was only for her home so I couldn't even call her until she had left the interview site and went home. Didn't get accepted, but probably not because of the interview.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked any difficult questions, and she seemed mostly interested in my experiences, etc.   Answer Question