Duke University

Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.6

Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in October 2012.

Had an interview with the supervisor. I dressed up in business casuals. Interview questions were easy. Just show passion for the job and its bonus if you have a background in data analysis and marketing

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person – interviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

Email, onsite job talk

No negotiation

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

The interview is a pretty straight forward process. If coming from the outside the interviews are usually 1/2 day. Duke is big and individual departments have some discretion so a lot depends on where you are interviewing specifically. The hiring process is nothing out of the ordinary - they make an offer and you go from there.

I was able to negotiate. Shoot high, as you will likely not get a substantial increase for a while, if ever if you stay in the position.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

The process began with a phone screen, then an in person interview with the hiring manager, the team that the particular role would be a part of, and the person who was facilitating the search. Overall, the process was good, and I never questioned where I stood in the process. They were clear about informing me what would happen next as well as the time frame that it would happen in.

Interview Questions
    • There was no extremely difficult question or one that I didn't expect.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

Process was very formal and e-mail based. I learn of about the job through email. Employer requested references and we exchanged several emails before the interview. There was only one interview. Advice I would give is to think about how the job relates to your past and your future plans.

Financial Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in January 2012.

I was contacted by email about a date and time for the interviewer to call me. During the call, I was asked a few questions and given a history of the department, but figured out what they asked for isn't what they were looking for. I was told I'd be contacted in two weeks whether I was selected for a second interview or not, but I never heard anything. Not even a letter saying thank you for your time.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Duke University in November 2011.

give a presentation, discuss projects with Professor

no negotiation

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in August 2011.

I applied for the position through the Duke HR website but also sent my cover letter and resume to the hiring manager. About a week later, I received a generic email from HR stating that my information had been forwarded to the hiring manager. The next day I received an email from the hiring manager inviting me to a panel interview. I interviewed with the hiring manager and other department heads and staff assistants. Everyone was very polite and they went around the table asking different questions. Unfortunately I received an email one week later stating that I was not chosen for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you had to work on a project but didn't have all the information you needed.   Answer Question

Bio Statistician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Duke University in May 2011.

Started off with a phone interview to discuss my background and relevant experience to the job being applied for. A few days later, I received an email requesting a 1:1 interview, which ended up lasting 2.5 hours. Met with 4 people individually. Basic statistical questions, but nothing complex at all.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with Bayesian methods and Factor analysis?   Answer Question
    None!

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in April 2011.

didn't prepare much for the interview because i've had previous experience in the area, so wasn't too worried. asked about gpa. offered a job on the spot and gave me a day to think about it.