Duke University Interview Questions in North Carolina

Updated May 7, 2015

2.6

Comparative Medicine Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

Typically start off with a phone interview. If that goes well, they will bring you in to start as a temporary employee. Once you have completed your 90 days, you will have a face-to-face interview in front of a number of managers/ supervisors.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about using animals for medical research?   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview lasted around 45 minutes, it was semi-informal, and more about personal traits and ideas for the role than experience. This is generally the tone for student interviews for this role however I think it varies largely on the professor employing. Some may even elect to have their current assistants interview new recruits.

Interview Questions

• What do you think might be beneficial for the students in terms of hands on application of the material?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not much room to negotiate. The compensation is a standard rate university wide and the interviewer couldn't directly influence this. What was negotiable was the allocation of grading.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

Sort of haphazard depending on the lab you want to work in. Usually pretty basic questions and not a whole lot of pressure. One interview with a lab manager wound up with only a couple of questions asked and the rest of the time was him waxing eloquent about various scientific issues! Still, it was definitely just a relaxed atmosphere with a lot of very intelligent individuals. They are not interested in grilling you or making you sweat to earn the job. Pretty typical interview questions, plus maybe some based on the topic of interest that the particular lab is working on. I can't think of any real hard technical questions that they asked, most of it was knowledge I had as a result of my education in a related area. You can expect to speak with several individuals, but that's not that bad considering you'll probably be working pretty closely with them for however long you will be in the lab. Most of it is probably to determine if you'll be content doing lab drudgery and if you'll fit the culture of the particular lab in question.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

One phone interview with hiring manager, followed by three in-person interviews, first with department faculty administrators (e.g., Director of Graduate Studies, Chair of Education, hiring manager), then with prospective co-workers (including hiring manager), then with Chair of academi department.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk about a situation where you felt creatively challenged, and how you went about finding a solution?   2 Answers

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions

• Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   1 Answer

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC).

Interview

2 interviews, one phone and one onsite

Negotiation

no negotiation

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in January 2014.

Interview

Talked to a professor and asked for TA, since I got a great grade in his class, he recommended me to another professor to be the TA. The hiring process took a month and a half, which is ridiculous. But after that I can fill in online timecard which is very convenient.

Duke Service Learning Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in August 2013.

Interview

The hiring process for the SLA (service learning assistant) position was very quick and painless. The supervisor was very well-organized.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered a salary slightly higher than the base wage rate due to my past experience working with undergraduate students.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in January 2013.

Interview

Sent in resume and had 1 onsite interview

Interview Questions

• Just asked why I wanted the job, my flexibility, possibly some behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, student salary

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke University (Durham, NC) in January 2013.

Interview

You must talk to many, many people. The higher your expected position the more people you talk to. Expect to come in for multiple interviews (3 or more). Process is very slow.

Interview Questions

• Just standard interview questions. Nothing designed to trick you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-existent. Take it or leave it.