Duke University

2.6

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   View Answer

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

2 interviews, one phone and one onsite

no negotiation

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duke University in January 2014.

Talked to a professor and asked for TA, since I got a great grade in his class, he recommended me to another professor to be the TA. The hiring process took a month and a half, which is ridiculous. But after that I can fill in online timecard which is very convenient.

Duke Service Learning Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in August 2013.

The hiring process for the SLA (service learning assistant) position was very quick and painless. The supervisor was very well-organized.

Interview Questions
    I was offered a salary slightly higher than the base wage rate due to my past experience working with undergraduate students.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University in January 2013.

Sent in resume and had 1 onsite interview

Interview Questions
    • Just asked why I wanted the job, my flexibility, possibly some behavioral questions   Answer Question
    no negotiation, student salary

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duke University in January 2013.

You must talk to many, many people. The higher your expected position the more people you talk to. Expect to come in for multiple interviews (3 or more). Process is very slow.

Interview Questions
    • Just standard interview questions. Nothing designed to trick you.   Answer Question
    Non-existent. Take it or leave it.

Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in October 2012.

Had an interview with the supervisor. I dressed up in business casuals. Interview questions were easy. Just show passion for the job and its bonus if you have a background in data analysis and marketing

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

Process was very formal and e-mail based. I learn of about the job through email. Employer requested references and we exchanged several emails before the interview. There was only one interview. Advice I would give is to think about how the job relates to your past and your future plans.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person – interviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

Email, onsite job talk

No negotiation

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

The interview is a pretty straight forward process. If coming from the outside the interviews are usually 1/2 day. Duke is big and individual departments have some discretion so a lot depends on where you are interviewing specifically. The hiring process is nothing out of the ordinary - they make an offer and you go from there.

I was able to negotiate. Shoot high, as you will likely not get a substantial increase for a while, if ever if you stay in the position.