Duke University Interview Questions in North Carolina

2.6

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Duke University in January 2013.

You must talk to many, many people. The higher your expected position the more people you talk to. Expect to come in for multiple interviews (3 or more). Process is very slow.

Interview Questions
    • Just standard interview questions. Nothing designed to trick you.   Answer Question
    Non-existent. Take it or leave it.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

The process began with a phone screen, then an in person interview with the hiring manager, the team that the particular role would be a part of, and the person who was facilitating the search. Overall, the process was good, and I never questioned where I stood in the process. They were clear about informing me what would happen next as well as the time frame that it would happen in.

Interview Questions
    • There was no extremely difficult question or one that I didn't expect.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Duke University in January 2014.

Talked to a professor and asked for TA, since I got a great grade in his class, he recommended me to another professor to be the TA. The hiring process took a month and a half, which is ridiculous. But after that I can fill in online timecard which is very convenient.

Duke Service Learning Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Duke University in August 2013.

The hiring process for the SLA (service learning assistant) position was very quick and painless. The supervisor was very well-organized.

Interview Questions
    I was offered a salary slightly higher than the base wage rate due to my past experience working with undergraduate students.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University.

2 interviews, one phone and one onsite

no negotiation

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Duke University in January 2013.

Sent in resume and had 1 onsite interview

Interview Questions
    • Just asked why I wanted the job, my flexibility, possibly some behavioral questions   Answer Question
    no negotiation, student salary

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 8 months - interviewed at Duke University in April 2011.

During my PhD training I visited Duke for 8 months through a collaboration. I was offered to come back as a postdoc before I even got my PhD. I did not have a regular interview.

Interview Questions
    • I did not interview as such, but I have been part of many postdoc interviews. The most asked technical questions in our department are always: "what can it be used for and how can it be commercialized". Even for very basic science, this question comes up and you better have an answer. Tip. Ask for your PhD supervisors grant proposals - your answer will usually be there.   Answer Question
    I got my own funding, so we only negociated about fringe benefits, which my department ended up giving me.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

The interview is a pretty straight forward process. If coming from the outside the interviews are usually 1/2 day. Duke is big and individual departments have some discretion so a lot depends on where you are interviewing specifically. The hiring process is nothing out of the ordinary - they make an offer and you go from there.

I was able to negotiate. Shoot high, as you will likely not get a substantial increase for a while, if ever if you stay in the position.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person - interviewed at Duke University in April 2012.

Email, onsite job talk

No negotiation

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!