Duke University

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Durham, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Duke University in April 2011.

Interview Details – During my PhD training I visited Duke for 8 months through a collaboration. I was offered to come back as a postdoc before I even got my PhD. I did not have a regular interview.

Interview Question – I did not interview as such, but I have been part of many postdoc interviews. The most asked technical questions in our department are always: "what can it be used for and how can it be commercialized". Even for very basic science, this question comes up and you better have an answer. Tip. Ask for your PhD supervisors grant proposals - your answer will usually be there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got my own funding, so we only negociated about fringe benefits, which my department ended up giving me.

Interviewed at Duke University

Interview Details – I had a serendipitous introduction that led to an off-handed mention of a job opening. I followed up on that lead and never really had a formal interview. I was lucky.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Postdoctoral Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Duke University.

Interview Details – Very straight forward Postdoctoral interview experience.

Interview Question – Mostly science/research questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Duke University in November 2011.

Interview Details – give a presentation, discuss projects with Professor

Interview Question – everything is normal, all about research   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Durham, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Duke University in August 2008.

Interview Details – presentation and meetings with group members

Interview Question – what is your vision?   View Answer

Durham, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at Duke University in March 2008.

Interview Details – I sent a email to a professor who has a similar background with mine. Then he called me after two days. No research topics mainly about the onsite interview arrangement. And one is how long does it take for me to graduate. During the onsite interview, we had a dinner together, then the next day I gave a presentation. You need to know your topic well. You will always have lots of questions.

Interview Question – all the question are not general questions. you need to understand your research very well.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since it is a postdoctoral associate, so not much negotiation. Everything is similar to very postdoc in the lab.

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!