Duke University

Duke University Staff Assistant Interview Questions

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Duke University.

I was emailed the day after I submitted my resume/letter to HR. The interview was set-up on a Monday (I submitted my application on the Thursday before). It was unclear via email how many people would be interviewing me. (FYI--I have interviewed at other Duke University departments before) The way this interview was done was different from previous Duke interviews: I was in a room at the head of the table with four people sitting in front of me. The four people did not really describe their roles and it was unclear (at first) who was the most senior. Their questions were clearly for someone with little experience as it was an entry-level position but, I have a lot of experience so responding to their questions was a bit more challenging. I was not ready for such basic questions as "Are you punctual?" So, be ready for some basic questions if you are applying for a support staff/entry level position. They asked for my references which I submitted the next day via email. They said they were traveling for two weeks but would be in touch in the coming weeks. When I followed up three-weeks post-interview I was told "things take time here at Duke, please be patient." Two days later I got an email saying I was no longer under-consideration for the position. In general I think Duke tends to ask the typical questions you find online for interviews.

Interview Questions
  • Are you punctual? (seems simple but for someone with a lot of experience it was somewhat challenging/insulting to answer--I felt like they had not looked at my resume and I felt like considering our limited time, there are better questions to ask….)   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Duke University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duke University in January 2013.

Sent in resume and had 1 onsite interview

Interview Questions
    • Just asked why I wanted the job, my flexibility, possibly some behavioral questions   Answer Question
    no negotiation, student salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Duke University in August 2011.

I applied for the position through the Duke HR website but also sent my cover letter and resume to the hiring manager. About a week later, I received a generic email from HR stating that my information had been forwarded to the hiring manager. The next day I received an email from the hiring manager inviting me to a panel interview. I interviewed with the hiring manager and other department heads and staff assistants. Everyone was very polite and they went around the table asking different questions. Unfortunately I received an email one week later stating that I was not chosen for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you had to work on a project but didn't have all the information you needed.   Answer Question