E*TRADE Financial

2.7

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at E*TRADE Financial in May 2014.

After applying for a position at Etrade, I did not hear from Human Resources for a relatively long time, 6-8 weeks for a role that they seemed to be hiring for immediately. I initially underwent a pre-screening interview by phone to ensure I was a good candidate for the role. The interview was set for 1 week later.

My interviewers were a departmental manager with roughly 8 years experience and a Sr. Manager with 15 years experience, with both of their experiences developed at Etrade. The interview was pre-structured with several pages of questions to determine my priorities in assisting clients, with an emphasis on placing the customer first. There were several scenarios where I was asked to give an example of a complex customer need and how I was able to meet it. There were also questions about opportunities where I could have done better.

At the end of the interview I had several questions about organizational structure, longevity/tenure of employees and the broad direction of the business at large. They were somewhat surprised to hear such detailed questions, however they were appreciative and answered them as best they could.

I came into this interview with 8 years industry experience and was applying for an entry level role. They were somewhat concerned why the entry level role was of interest to me. I was clear that I was looking to start a new career with a firm and wanted to better understand the culture of the firm before I began to climb internally. This seemed to be a well received answer.

Interview Questions
    • Having a two year gap in employment as the result of a layoff, they were concerned that my skills had deteriorated and that the salary they were offering were not competitive with my last role, and were wondering why I was considering this role.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation over salary, which was covered in the pre-screen interview.

New College Associate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at E*TRADE Financial in April 2014.

I don't remember the specific date that I applied however I do know that it was a couple months out before they contacted me. I was initially contacted via email that they were interested in a phone interview with me. The phone interview was very basic technical questions. They begin to ask me about operating systems and Database concepts. I made it pretty clear that I was more interested in the database IT side and that is where most of my academic experience was. I wasn't very fond of the O.S. questions (didn't answer very well) but I was still able to get scheduled for an onsite interview. The site was in Alpharetta and was very nice. They started with explaining the program (which is an AMAZING opportunity) and made me feel like that if I made it this far then I was pretty much in the clear. Then the technical questions came and they were mostly JAVA programming questions. I was quiet thrown off guard because i expressed my interest in Database Systems. I wasn't prepared for it but i answered most questions but missed maybe 2 out of 5 incorrect. They only asked me 1 question about my true interest of Database systems. It was interesting.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected and difficult questions was within the technical portion of the interview. The asked heavily on the concepts of Java programming (interfaces,inheritance,overloading) I expected there to be more questions on Database systems   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at E*TRADE Financial in April 2014.

I had a technical phone interview with the hiring manager, and then was invited to interview on site shortly after for the NCA program. The on site interview was not as technical. Received an offer the next day. They were very quick with the whole process; it was pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • They just wanted to know how I would respond to certain situations, none of the questions were particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at E*TRADE Financial in March 2014.

After dropping off a resume at a college job fair I received a phone call from a recruiter who asked some basic questions and set me up with a phone interview. The phone interview was basic Java OOP and javascript questions. Very easy questions. I received an email a few days later asking to do another phone interview. The next one was from I assume an HR person, they asked no computer questions, just situational questions (describe a weakness, tell me about a great success, what was your favorite class in college, etc..). After that they emailed about another phone call, this time with a software lead. He asked the exact same questions the first guy did, I answered them the same, after that he put me on hold and then someone else picked up the line. This person said they were a manager and described the company, and the job details, then asked if I had any questions about the company or position. I said no, I received a low offer a few days later which I declined. I was pretty disappointed in the offer, I think it would be fun to work there.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you use an interface instead of an abstract classes.   View Answer

I had done several interviews for similar positions and their offer was about 25% less than the others I had received. (even after taking into account cost of living!) I suppose if they were the only offer I received I would have taken it.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Contacted first through email for survey. Phone screen then computer assessment (basic knowledge, general questions). After passing assessment I met with two managers a week after. The HR people are nice and knowledgeable. The process was long and drawn out.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, just sent offer letter via email.

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

The interview process at E*TRADE was really organized. The recruiting team I worked with followed up with me via email and/or phone in a timely manner. The interviews went smoothly, and I got a clear picture of the position and company values/culture from the interviewers. The offer process, background check, and on-boarding were easy too.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Interview process started off very quickly, first with a phone interview and then a face to face with hiring manager. Next round of face to face was with five people, all very nice. I received great feedback from all the interviews, but then HR just stopped communicating. It was very unprofessional and they have been looking for someone for this position for six months. Now I see why. HR should at least respond with feedback. And, the job is still listed...

Interview Questions
    • The job description was much different compared to what the hiring manager was looking for. The other five people all had different ideas too.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Phone Interviews were professional. Skype interview at local E*Trade branch was not organized. They did not know how to use the computer and equipment. Interview questions were pretty generic.

Interview Questions
    • What aspect on the job description is the most interesting to you?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Multiple rounds of interview.Went through few rounds of negotiation.

Interview Questions
    In emails after they came back to me mentioning that they were interested in giving me the offer.

Team Lead, Gold Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy, UT

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Called in for one on one interview with manager of customer service for the site. Went through very generic questions. Not really focused on the actual qualifications of my past. About 30 minutes long. In the end, she went with someone who she knew from a previous team. Once again, not based on qualifications, but who you know.