E*TRADE Financial

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Interview Details – Allpied via a Recruiting company.
Initianl phone screening - 30 mins of very basic & general questions.
Called for on-site interview - Interview was planned for 1 1/2 hour but it got extended for 2 1/2 hours. Questions related with HTML, CSS & JS asked. Mostly on JS - closures, prototypes.

Reason for Declining – But Hiring managers were not clear on salary offer. They kept bargaining - too bad experience. From initial offer to final offer the difference was -20k. Inspite of having a positive experience with interview had a very bad experience when coming to compensation.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was phone screened by one person who asked me technical questions based on the skill set on my resume. Then got a call to come on-site within a couple days. There I was scheduled to meet 4 people but ended up meeting 6 (one session ended up being run by 2 people and another person split up his session and invited another interviewer). We started a little late, sessions ran longer than alloted time and we ran over the schedule by more than an hour.

Questions were 80% based on the projects on my resume. I did a lot of diagrams on the board to explain my projects. They must have split up the projects on my resume among themselves because I didn't have to explain any project more than once and by the end of the interview I had explained almost all the projects on my resume.

The remaining 20% was standard -- SQL queries, design patterns (write the code for one design pattern on the board). No problem solving / data structures/ algorithms.

Also some questions about what i am really looking for in the job, why I'm looking for a job etc.

All in all it was an easy interview compared silicon valley interviews.

Interview Question – Describe one challenge you faced and what you did to overcome it and improve things for the organization.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Total comp. not attractive.

Worked for E*TRADE Financial? Contribute to the Community!