E*TRADE Financial

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Associate Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in April 2014.

Interview Details – I had a technical phone interview with the hiring manager, and then was invited to interview on site shortly after for the NCA program. The on site interview was not as technical. Received an offer the next day. They were very quick with the whole process; it was pleasant.

Interview Question – They just wanted to know how I would respond to certain situations, none of the questions were particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Manager, Product Management Interview

Manager, Product Management
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Interview Details – The interview process was about a 3 hour process. You meet with 4 to 6 people back to back. The questions aren't difficult and if you know anything about the financial industry it's a cake walk because no one at the firm knows anything.

Interview Question – There weren't any, they just review your resume and you're in.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy, they make you a written offer and you accept.

Associate IT Architect Interview

Associate IT Architect
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in May 2012.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews back-to-back with a senior manager of both the IT Architect and Software Engineering teams. The following day I had a phone interview with a Principal IT Architect.

The Software Engineering manager mostly just asked me questions about my previous experiences.

The IT Architect manager asked me behavioral questions like what my goals in life are. He also asked me technical questions about linked lists and encryption methods.

The Principal IT Architect didn't really ask me too many questions. I believe he wanted to see how inquisitive I was regarding the IT Architecture process at E*TRADE.

The people I interviewed with were all very nice. They all had sense of humors (which I have found to be consistently absent at other engineering-based companies) and were easy-going.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation is available for the NCA (New College Associate) program.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in June 2009.

Interview Details – i had 1 phone interview and one 1:1 interview at my school

Then I had 6 rounds of 1:1 interview with 6 different hiring managers . all asking same thing

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not much, pretty much got what they offered

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Menlo Park, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in June 2010.

Interview Details – did a phone screen and in person interviews, both essentially were tech screens that asked the standard suite of language specific coding questions

Interview Question – whats wrong with these css styles (css printout given)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – inflexible

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was phone screened by one person who asked me technical questions based on the skill set on my resume. Then got a call to come on-site within a couple days. There I was scheduled to meet 4 people but ended up meeting 6 (one session ended up being run by 2 people and another person split up his session and invited another interviewer). We started a little late, sessions ran longer than alloted time and we ran over the schedule by more than an hour.

Questions were 80% based on the projects on my resume. I did a lot of diagrams on the board to explain my projects. They must have split up the projects on my resume among themselves because I didn't have to explain any project more than once and by the end of the interview I had explained almost all the projects on my resume.

The remaining 20% was standard -- SQL queries, design patterns (write the code for one design pattern on the board). No problem solving / data structures/ algorithms.

Also some questions about what i am really looking for in the job, why I'm looking for a job etc.

All in all it was an easy interview compared silicon valley interviews.

Interview Question – Describe one challenge you faced and what you did to overcome it and improve things for the organization.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Total comp. not attractive.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in December 2009.

Interview Details – I had initial phone screening interview and then called for face to face. There were 3 rounds of interview. In the first round, interviewer asked about my experience and high level architecture of the project I worked. Then the 2nd interviewer asked some Perl question. In the 3rd round, they asked about DB design and C++ OOD questions.

The first 2 rounds were easy going and interviewer were friendly. Not much happy with the front desk (receptionist ) persons behaviour. She was busy with her own world (talking in cellphone) rather giving attention to the visitors.

Worked for E*TRADE Financial? Contribute to the Community!