EDF Energy

14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

EDF Graduate Scheme Interview

Interviewed at EDF Energy

Interview Details – CV screening-phone interview-face to face interview and psychometric tests- final interview.
After passing the phone interview I was emailed to get to London the next week for the face to face competency interview, as well as for completing the psychometric tests. If successful at this stage, you will be asked to take part in interview by HR and technical personnel of EDF in London.

Interview Question – No tricky questions at all. The interviewer asked me about some CV clarifications and then some competency based / motivation questions.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EDF Energy in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, did online tests and went to assessment centre. The first day of the centre was focused around group activities, generally well relaxed and not too taxing. I think as long as you make sure to contribute sensibly then this part will be passed. There was also an aptitude test. The second day, in which half the people made it through too, was just a technical interview. This started with general questions about nuclear reactors and them became a bit more focused, but didn't require much outside knowledge.

Cheltenham, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at EDF Energy in February 2014.

Interview Details – Online tests as standard. Competency based telephone interview with one question about why I'd chosen to apply for edf.
Assessment day:
2 days of assessment with group challenges, numerical and reasoning tests and technical interview.
We were split into groups to solve a logic puzzle, design and present a plan for construction of a plastic wind turbine (provided) and debate which nuclear project we should choose from a list. Day 2 were technical interviews with questions about CV and easy engineering based questions.

Interview Question – Rankine cycle stuff   Answer Question

Cheltenham, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EDF Energy in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applying will get you a telephone interview, which is a short discussion which will extrapolate on your application.
Assessment centres involve a 2 day process. Starts with 3 group exercises focusing on your abilities to communicate effectively with a group, moving on to a mathematical ability test. Then dinner enables "networking" with current graduates.
The next day starts with being told if you were to be interviewed or not. If you reach the interview, this is minor technical focus, and mostly is dressed formal, with an informal feel to the discussion.
It only took 5 days after this to be offered a job, so things move quickly.

Interview Question – Was asked to complete deflection, bending moment and shear force diagrams for a portal frame. This was for civil engineering, and is apparently not typical of all interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was no negotiation

Assessment Day for Position In Crawley Interview

Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EDF Energy in November 2013.

Interview Details – There was only one assessment day after which two candidates were appointed. There were eight candidates out of which two were EDF Energy internal - guess who got the job?
Company policy is to reimburse travel expenses, but they do not rush with this as well as they do not rush to arrange telephone session for the feedback that was promised by the hiring manager.
This could have been one off experience, however, it shows the political games EDF Energy plays with their recruitment.

IT Manager Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at EDF Energy in February 2009.

Interview Details – 3 Interviews, 1 with Recruitment Consultant 'Select' and 2 further interviews with EDF HR and hiring Senior Manager

Interview Question – Nothing...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I added an extra £2.000 onto the role.

Very Difficult Interview

Gloucester, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EDF Energy in March 2010.

Interview Details – Questions about the rankine cycle, where components, turbines, condenser etc would go on a power plant. farily simple.

Interview Question – Half an hour talking about myself   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It took a verly long time to get back from them. They said they would get back to me early June, and only found out at the end of July, Poor HR,

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EDF Energy in April 2013.

Interview Details – Inprompu telephone interview, only questioned asked were why did you apply to EDF and why do you want to work for us. Face to face scheduled during this call. Face to face involves attending a panel day. I think a 2 day panel convenes where a whole range of interview take place. I was asked to come early for a presentation. The recruiter was very professional she called the day before the interview to remind me that I had an interview and they were looking forward to meeting me. On the day I waited 45 minutes before being led into the presentation with another candidate. The presentation added nothing to my knowledge, it was literally information that I had already researched for the interview and could be found on their website. As they were running late there wasn´t enough time to ask many questions. What they did admit was that the business case was usually completely different at the end of the project but if thats what the business want then its ok. The actual face to face involved 2 people. It was so structured that I had no opportunity to ask questions about the projects or tell them anything about my experience or knowledge outside of their competenacy questions. The competancy questions were aroung procurement expereince, planning - there is no such thing as getting things done when the project is in crisis, its all about planning all the time. Other questions were working under stress, influencing other people.

I didn´t get an offer but they didn´t even bother to call and decline or give any feedback. The interview was very one sided and inpersonal. Due to time constraints there was not the opportunity to ask questions and they didn´t part any information on the projects teh candidate may be involved on. A very structured place, limited room to do things on the fly!

Interview Question – Give details of procurement expereince as a PM. Not including any PM tools expereince.   Answer Question

Nuclear Graduate C&I Engineering Scheme Interview

Cheltenham, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EDF Energy in April 2013.

Interview Details – Had online psychometric tests, an over the phone interview followed by a two day assessment centre up in Cheltenham. The tests were the same as you do for any engineering job (verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and logical reasoning) and the phone interview was around 35 minutes of them asking you competency based questions such as "Why do you want to work for EDF?"... "Explain a time when you had to work as part of a team". And so on.

The assessment centre was a bit laborious and was over two days. On the first day 3 group activities and basically the same style of psychometric tests as before only this time in a controlled environment. The group tasks were to build a model of a windmill using only pictures in a given time, a discussion about which projects to choose for nuclear new build and a logic exercise trying to work out who worked where using prompt cards. Bear in mind that the tasks are a sideshow, the group I was in finished none of the tasks and I was still given the job so make sure you get your points across in the time.

Day two is technical interview day and those who were unsuccessful with the first day leave the process first thing after breakfast. Technical interview was asking about final year projects at uni and then draw a nuclear power station. Make sure you revise the components of such a system and be honest if you don't know the answer. They will ask you questions of increasing difficulty until you say "I don't know".

I was informed almost a month later via email that I had been successful, so if you haven't heard back don't be disheartened.

Medical and security clearance happened over the easter period at one of their power stations.

Interview Question – Draw a nuclear power station   Answer Question

Finance Graduate Scheme Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EDF Energy in January 2013.

Interview Details – 1) Online Application
2) Online testing - Numerical and Verbal
3) Phone Interview
4) AC
Only managed to reach the phone interview part . I managed to pass but I was not called for an AC . I applied quite late ( around mid December ).

Phone interview : Was a nice experience. lasted about 35 minutes . Standard questions like why EDF , Why finance , what do you know about the role you are applying to, competency questions such as tell me a time you worked in a team, a challenging task , a time someone disagreed with you etc .

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for EDF Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EDF Energy interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by EDF Energy employees and interview candidates.