ELS Educational Services Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

2.4

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ELS Educational Services.

Interview

The center I applied at advertised that they were hiring full-time, part-time, and substitute teachers, but after an hour long phone interview, I was informed they were only hiring substitute teachers. Additionally, I was given the phone interview and then unofficially offered the subbing job. A few weeks later was asked to come in and fill out paperwork, at which time I was "officially" offered the job and told the pay rate. As others have mentioned, the pay rate for teachers is set based on education level and experience, the highest of which is about $24/hour with a Master's degree with a TESOL certificate.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about working with multicultural students. How would you work with a class in which there was one Muslim woman who does not want to do group work with men, when she is the only woman in the class?   1 Answer

English Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ELS Educational Services.

Interview

The first interview is on the phone. They ask you basic questions about yourself and the position you're applying for.
    The second interview is in person and they ask more specific questions. They also give you about 5 situations and you have to explain how you would react and why you would react that way.

Interview Questions

• During the second interview:
      - What are some area you would like to improve in?
      - What makes you a unique candidate?
      - What would you do if a student asked you to drive him/her to the bank?

1 Answer

School Director Interview

Interview

Pretty standard. Met with just one district director and also met the center staff. The entire process was somewhat quick and it was nice that they paid for relocation expenses.

ESL Instructor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ELS Educational Services in December 2014.

Interview

It was short and fast. I think they may have been desperate to replace someone that had recently left. I recieved an email later that day offering me a substitute position, and I filled in for the teacher that had left for the remainder of the month. I was teaching my own classes within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Something along the lines of 'What kind of classroom environment do you strive for' and 'What is one area of weakness in your work abilities?'   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ELS Educational Services (Thousand Oaks, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I sent a resume from a job listing (which may have been on Glassdoor). I was called very shortly afterwards for an interview. I was interviewed. They checked my references. I was hired. The interview was thorough. They asked a lot of questions about my teaching experience. They really seemed to want an experienced teacher.

Interview Questions

• What was your most successful lesson? What was your most unsuccessful lesson?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Pay scale is determined by credential.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ELS Educational Services (Garden City, NY).

Interview

It was a very straightforward interview. At the time they were desperate, so they pretty much just checked my pulse and threw me into a classroom. I was asked general questions about my education and experience, a few grammar questions, and my availability. The interviewer explained the program and the schedule and then sent me to observe two different classes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They have a set rate depending on level of education. There was no negotiation.

Full Time Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ELS Educational Services in December 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, then face to face; included teaching grammar demonstration; interviewed w academic director only; asked about experience w particular skill areas and level preference; was kind and helpful; explained benefits clearly

Interview Questions

• To teach 15 minute explicit grammar point   1 Answer
    • Teaching philosophy   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ELS Educational Services (DFW, TX).

Interview

I submitted my resume in response to an online ad and they called me. I went for an interview about 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• He did not ask my any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

The center director did not truthfully disclose all that he knew about this job and the environment. I learned some things from a former employee that changed my mind about working there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ELS Educational Services (San Antonio, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

Asked questions about classroom management.

Negotiation

Non existent.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ELS Educational Services (West Haven, CT).

Interview

Ask ed easy questions about teaching experience and interests. There was a discussion of the types of classes taught and what types you would be most interested in. The interview was very straightforward. I had a phone interview and my name was already on the roster when I went in for the in person interview. If you have any experience teaching or any credentials, you'll do fine.

Negotiation

none