ELS Language Centers

2.3

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ELS Language Centers.

It was a very straightforward interview. At the time they were desperate, so they pretty much just checked my pulse and threw me into a classroom. I was asked general questions about my education and experience, a few grammar questions, and my availability. The interviewer explained the program and the schedule and then sent me to observe two different classes.

Interview Questions
    They have a set rate depending on level of education. There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ELS Language Centers.

I submitted my resume in response to an online ad and they called me. I went for an interview about 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • He did not ask my any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

The center director did not truthfully disclose all that he knew about this job and the environment. I learned some things from a former employee that changed my mind about working there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ELS Language Centers in September 2013.

Asked questions about classroom management.

Non existent.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Haven, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Haven, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ELS Language Centers.

Ask ed easy questions about teaching experience and interests. There was a discussion of the types of classes taught and what types you would be most interested in. The interview was very straightforward. I had a phone interview and my name was already on the roster when I went in for the in person interview. If you have any experience teaching or any credentials, you'll do fine.

none

ESL Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ELS Language Centers.

Ad on Craigslist, sent a resume, got a phone call, asked to interview that afternoon. I met the next morning, was hired.

none

ESL Substitute Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ELS Language Centers in February 2013.

Was emailed about a month after I applied to a Craigslist ad. I was given a brief phone interview, asking about my experience, availability, and location, and then was asked to bring in sample lesson plans to the campus. The interviewer was very friendly and had me briefly walk through my sample lesson plans. I was told a bit about the school and how it worked, and then was offered a position at the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, but she did ask how I would handle working with mixed groups -- they have ages ranging from teenagers to adults and a mix of English abilities in the classroom.   View Answer
    I was very clear about my availability, since this is a substituting position. I also asked about the wages and how they work. I was told very clearly that I was being paid the same hourly rate as full-time instructors and that the company had specific rates that they paid based on educational background (a BA with no TESOL certificate, a BA with TESOL certificate, and an MA holder). Not much to negotiate, but feel free to ask and be open.

ESL Teacher Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at ELS Language Centers in January 2013.

They were pretty desperate when I got hired because they got a bunch of students and a teacher had just left. It is a pretty good job if you like flexibility and you don't need a big pay check. A lot of people are there because the benefits are pretty good. The bad thing is that the Academic Director is under a lot of pressure. If that person had more support it would be a better place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a Masters Degree. Master's degree is preferred.   Answer Question

International Student Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ELS Language Centers in August 2012.

I was brought in after submitting a resume via a current employee at the center who heard about the job opening. I had a phone interview, and then an in-person with both the Center Director and the District Director.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked questions about budgeting, where looking back the answer should have been something like "insufficient information to answer this question." I felt a little tricked and ended up giving a stupid answer.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, outside of the fact that I was due to graduate college in a few months and my permanent position was contingent upon that.

ESL Instructor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ELS Language Centers in January 2011.

The job was advertised on Craigslist.com, and after applying, I heard from the Academic Director about a week later. I had an interview and was told I didn't get the job about a week later. Then a month later, I got called to see if I still wanted the job. I've been working here ever since!

Interview Questions
    • How would you teach the present simple and present progressive tenses? (Along with other grammar-related questions).   Answer Question
    I would say pay is non-negotiable. It starts at certain levels depending on your education and experience. I had a Bachelor's degree and maybe a year experience, so I started at the lowest bracket which I believe was about $18 something per hour.

Instructor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at ELS Language Centers in June 2010.

Saw ad, called and made appointment for interview.