ELS Language Centers Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.4

School Director Interview

Interview

Pretty standard. Met with just one district director and also met the center staff. The entire process was somewhat quick and it was nice that they paid for relocation expenses.

ESL Instructor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at ELS Language Centers in December 2014.

Interview

It was short and fast. I think they may have been desperate to replace someone that had recently left. I recieved an email later that day offering me a substitute position, and I filled in for the teacher that had left for the remainder of the month. I was teaching my own classes within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Something along the lines of 'What kind of classroom environment do you strive for' and 'What is one area of weakness in your work abilities?'   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ELS Language Centers (Thousand Oaks, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I sent a resume from a job listing (which may have been on Glassdoor). I was called very shortly afterwards for an interview. I was interviewed. They checked my references. I was hired. The interview was thorough. They asked a lot of questions about my teaching experience. They really seemed to want an experienced teacher.

Interview Questions

• What was your most successful lesson? What was your most unsuccessful lesson?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Pay scale is determined by credential.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ELS Language Centers (Garden City, NY).

Interview

It was a very straightforward interview. At the time they were desperate, so they pretty much just checked my pulse and threw me into a classroom. I was asked general questions about my education and experience, a few grammar questions, and my availability. The interviewer explained the program and the schedule and then sent me to observe two different classes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They have a set rate depending on level of education. There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ELS Language Centers (DFW, TX).

Interview

I submitted my resume in response to an online ad and they called me. I went for an interview about 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• He did not ask my any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

The center director did not truthfully disclose all that he knew about this job and the environment. I learned some things from a former employee that changed my mind about working there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ELS Language Centers (San Antonio, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

Asked questions about classroom management.

Negotiation

Non existent.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ELS Language Centers (West Haven, CT).

Interview

Ask ed easy questions about teaching experience and interests. There was a discussion of the types of classes taught and what types you would be most interested in. The interview was very straightforward. I had a phone interview and my name was already on the roster when I went in for the in person interview. If you have any experience teaching or any credentials, you'll do fine.

Negotiation

none

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ELS Language Centers.

Interview

Ad on Craigslist, sent a resume, got a phone call, asked to interview that afternoon. I met the next morning, was hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

ESL Substitute Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ELS Language Centers (San Rafael, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Was emailed about a month after I applied to a Craigslist ad. I was given a brief phone interview, asking about my experience, availability, and location, and then was asked to bring in sample lesson plans to the campus. The interviewer was very friendly and had me briefly walk through my sample lesson plans. I was told a bit about the school and how it worked, and then was offered a position at the interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, but she did ask how I would handle working with mixed groups -- they have ages ranging from teenagers to adults and a mix of English abilities in the classroom.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was very clear about my availability, since this is a substituting position. I also asked about the wages and how they work. I was told very clearly that I was being paid the same hourly rate as full-time instructors and that the company had specific rates that they paid based on educational background (a BA with no TESOL certificate, a BA with TESOL certificate, and an MA holder). Not much to negotiate, but feel free to ask and be open.

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at ELS Language Centers in January 2013.

Interview

They were pretty desperate when I got hired because they got a bunch of students and a teacher had just left. It is a pretty good job if you like flexibility and you don't need a big pay check. A lot of people are there because the benefits are pretty good. The bad thing is that the Academic Director is under a lot of pressure. If that person had more support it would be a better place to work.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a Masters Degree. Master's degree is preferred.   Answer Question