EMC Interview Questions & Reviews in Boston, MA

83 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in May 2013.

The hiring and interview processes were very straight forward. I was contacted by HR for an initial phone screening before being contacted by the hiring manager for another experience screening (essentially wanting to hear about what I did at previous jobs/projects work on). They then brought me in for an onsite interview which took almost a full work day before giving me an offer a couple days later. The whole process took about two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I was given an hour, a computer with a set up environment, and an hour to create as much of a "database system". The general idea was to create a program that allowed users to interact through a command prompt interface and create/modify new and existing "databases" in the form of xml documents. The problem was intimidating at first, but once broken down into steps it really wasn't too bad.   View Answer
    EMC sent me a benefits package to look over, as well as a base salary and additional bonuses. The offer was significantly higher than I expected, and any other companies had offered up to that point. I took it without hesitation.

Technical Program Manager Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at EMC in December 2012.

Basic interview: Personal Trait Questions, Organization, Basic Math Knowledge

EMC Marketing Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in November 2013.

I had a basic on campus interview that lasted between 30 and 45 minutes. Well over a month later I was invited to interview at their Hopkinton office. This was in a round robin format with about 10 other applicants. We each met with 5 or 6 people for about 30 minutes. They represented the different divisions and asked basic behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had difficulty working in a group.   Answer Question

Sales Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at EMC in April 2013.

Got a screening interview with recruitment services.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone older than you to change their mind about something?   Answer Question

Consultant Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at EMC in April 2010.

I was initially contacted by a member of EMC HR, I had not applied for any job.
    I went through two rounds of interviews, about a week apart. Each time I interviewed with 3-4 people.
    The questions were mostly technical and I was expected to use the whiteboard to explain some concepts and systems I'd worked on in the past.

It took them about a month after interviewing me to give me an offer. After I received that I was required to take a urine drug test. That wasn't an issue for me, but it's the first time in 30 years I've ever had to do this.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions. The normal challenging ones: what were my weaknesses; what was a challenging situation I encountered and how did I handle it. I had prepared some general responses so I didn't flounder when asked. The interviewers were all reasonable.   Answer Question
    I tried negotiating for more vacation time (I'm a very senior engineer with a lot of experience). But no luck. After joining I heard the the HR rep I dealt with was not very good.

IT Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EMC in November 2013.

I had an initial phone interview with their recruiter. I was then invited for an on-site interview. It was a series of three interviewers, each interview was 20 minutes each. There were more than 20 other interviewees in the same room, having interviews at the same time. I was supposed to have three interviewers, but found out that I only was going to have two. Then last minute they decided to have someone random interview me, just for the sake of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was expecting technical questions, or some kind of question allowing my knowledge to be displayed. There were very few of these. The most unexpected question I had was the first question of my second interviewer, who asked me "If I came up to you in a bar and asked 'What's your story?', what would you say?"   Answer Question

Associate Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in May 2012.

Relatively simple, only met with 2 managers. There were no case studies, problem-solving questions etc. Felt like more of a conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions, just your typical STAR interview process inquiries.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in November 2010.

The interview was conducted through my university. There was an initial screening by my school and then the interview by and EMC employee. This was part behavioral and part about my previous sales experience. Most of the emphasis was on getting to know my personality, drive, passion...etc. After accepting the offer you participate in a 6 week sales training program which teaches you everything you need to know about working in tech sales.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question. The interview was more about connecting with the interviewer than anything else.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate. Pay was more than generous

Consultant Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in March 2012.

There was not a "pre-defined" interview process or set of questions. I interviewed with several members of the team. They explained that they were looking to do and I pretty much explained my experience and how I would go about doing what they were looking to do.

Interview Questions
    This was a contract-to-hire position. The negotiation on the hourly rate was with the intermediary consulting company but I had a discussion on the desired full-time salary if the conversion to full-time happened. Four months later I got a full-time offer and the salary discussed during the initial hiring process was honored.

Software Test Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in November 2013.

I had applied for a Software Engineer Co-op position. I got a call one morning from an HR who said they would like to interview me and asked me my availability for a phone interview. The interview was set up for 2 days later. I got an email the same evening asking me to apply to the position online before I could be interviewed. When I went online, to my surprise the position said "Software Test Co-op" and I did not have a single skill on my resume matching the requirements! I tried to call the HR next morning to clarify the same but instead reached a voicemail box saying that he was on leave for the next few days. So I had to take the interview the next day.
    The interview started well and there were a few "tell me yourself" type questions. Then as expected I got asked questions on topics I had never heard of. In the meantime the interviewer went through my resume and apologized that he wasn't aware that my resume did not match the requirements. Then he told me he will try to assess me on my analytical skills and that part went really well. But after knowing that your the work domain and your profile have nothing in common, any logically thinking person would expect a reject and so did I.
    I was unhappy about how an utter waste of time the interview had been. But surpisingly EMC was not done yet. They were not contented with just wasting my time and probably wanted to waste my money as well. After a long month I got another call from the same HR saying they wanted to interview me onsite. I was shocked but I had to go. Their office is located at such a remote place and they do not provide any assistance with transportation. Nor do they give any reimbursement. And if you dare to ask for any such assistance they don't help you but instead indirectly threaten to cancel your interview by asking rhetorical questions like "If we hire you how will you get to work if you are finding it difficult to get to the interview". So you decide to go there on your own and you spend around a hundred dollars on travel alone.
    There were 3 onsite interviews. The first 2 interviews were more of a site-show and advertisement about what they do which makes one think "Have they already decided to hire me? Why aren't they asking any technical questions?" The third interview was really surprising in a way that the interviewer did not have any new questions to ask. He asked me the same questions that he had asked me in the phone interview and I am like
    "seriously?".
    Then again I kept waiting for a month after which I got the result: REJECT and I am so astonished and shocked and surprised and I don't know what. Come on- How can the same interview have two different outcomes; and that too opposite?