EMC

2.9

86 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Manager Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EMC in February 2013.

Professional but very focused on image and ability to "fit-in" with team chemistry as opposed to be able to "do the job"

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel working for James Donovan?   View Answer

The position had no upward mobility and lacked the attention for success0

Technical Program Manager Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC in December 2012.

Basic interview: Personal Trait Questions, Organization, Basic Math Knowledge

Systems Integration Engineer, Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC in November 2012.

The setup was in a presentation room and involved everyone from the group, the manager, the team leader, the engineers and the current coop students. The method used was rotational interviews.

According to the numbers of interviewees they were split up and spread out in the room such that every group was interviewing one candidate at a time. Starting from a random table in the room, each candidate had about 7-8 minutes to interview with each group.

The total procedure was about two hours long, as each candidate had to interview with every group. Free pizza and soda was served before the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were generally targeted to personality rather than technical mastery, but this might be since it was a coop position. "Tell us about a project you have worked on" and "Why I should hire you?" were used and should be expected.   Answer Question

Financial Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

Preliminary interview on-campus, 2nd round interview on-site. One day for second round, 6 interviewers, round-robin style, everyone in the same big room. 20-30 mins for each. No pre-interview networking dinner or time for networking at all beforehand as is generally standard for finance rotational programs. Also no case study portion of interview as is also generally standard. EMC does not reimburse for travel and therefore only recruits local talent that is likely to have their own transportation. I rented a car to get there, which cost over $100 and EMC did not reimburse. It was obvious that EMC did not care to find the best talent as they put little to no effort in their interview process. Most of the students that were interviewing did not even know what they were doing there. While talking to some of them, I found out that they were interviewing for banking and consulting jobs at the same time. Clear that they did not know what they were doing and EMC did nothing to weed them out. The female interviewers were much easier to interview with than the males. Males generally asked irrelevant questions about situations that you likely have never been in and give zero indication of how good of a fit the candidate is for the job. The way they treated interviewees did not make it seem like they really wanted you to accept an offer from them if they gave you one. Easily at the bottom of my list of interview experiences.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EMC.

All the people were really sweet and great to chat with. They went the extra mile to make sure I was comfortable. I was contacted by the recruiter initially and he set up 2 phone interviews, after which there were 4 1:1 onsite interviews. I screwed up one section very badly..

Systems Integration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC in October 2012.

The interview questions were all "softcore" by most standards and only asked about my background, previous experience, etc. There were no unexpected questions, and they were all fairly easy and reasonable. The manager purposely tries to make you feel uncomfortable to try and catch you off guard. Don't let this get to you as the questions are not difficult.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Consultant Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EMC in September 2012.

Hiring process was very smooth. The EMC recruiter contacted me and scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. After the phone interview an onsite interview was scheduled. After the onsite interview an offer was presented about one week later. The onsite interview consisted of 5-6 individual interviews with other engineers.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any difficult or unexpected questions. I did have to take a drug test which was a little inconvenient; however it's well worth the trouble.   Answer Question
    The negotiation was fair. They offered near the top end right away so there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at EMC in August 2012.

The hiring manager and interviewing team were very professional and respectful of my time. I met with the hiring manager (now my manager), an SVP, as well as the general manager and someone in mergers. The recruiting manager called me frequently with helpful information about the process. I had 1 phone screen and an in-person 4 hour interview, after which point I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What's a specific scenario where you've handled a disagreement?   Answer Question
    I was able to get additional stock options but they did not move on the salary. It was a fair offer to being with.

Principal Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EMC in June 2012.

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn. Had two phone interviews, one with recruiter and one with Hiring Mgr. EMC invited me onsite. In Hopkinton i was interviewed by 5-6 people, all of them Sr. Directors and one VP. It was an awesome experience, interviews went really well.

Logistics of my relocation to Hopkinton played a big factor in job offer denial. Overall positive experience.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at EMC in May 2012.

The Manager gave an introduction about the group, and its interaction with other organizations within EMC. Two more 1:1 interviews about 40 minutes each. Questions mostly on the components of a storage system, ways to evaluate the performance etc. After 1:1 interviews, a short session with the Manager again who pointed out the next phases. No word about the salary till this point.

Interview Questions
    I received a verbal offer from the HR, next day of the interview. I asked him to give me a couple of days to think over it. He was a bit reluctant but then agreed. Called me again after 2 days. I suggested he increase the base salary by 5%. He came back after an hour and agreed to it. Note that the negotiations are more likely to succeed for higher level positions compared to entry level ones. The base salary may vary from one group to another as well.