EMC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – All the people were really sweet and great to chat with. They went the extra mile to make sure I was comfortable. I was contacted by the recruiter initially and he set up 2 phone interviews, after which there were 4 1:1 onsite interviews. I screwed up one section very badly..

Interview Question – Distributed theory.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Franklin, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in April 2011.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews. First round was like speed dating with 9 different managers or employees. Second round was onsite with 2 or 3 of my potential managers. The process was not overly stressful, but if you don't really want the job the interviewer will know and you won't get the job.

Interview Question – Are you too smart for this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation. The sales associate phase is short term and the real money with a promotion to an inside sales rep.

Principal Program Manager Interview

Principal Program Manager
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in June 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn. Had two phone interviews, one with recruiter and one with Hiring Mgr. EMC invited me onsite. In Hopkinton i was interviewed by 5-6 people, all of them Sr. Directors and one VP. It was an awesome experience, interviews went really well.

Logistics of my relocation to Hopkinton played a big factor in job offer denial. Overall positive experience.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in June 2009.

Interview Details – Initially a 1*1 telephonic interview followed by a group interview by 5 members in a team.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Marketing Development Program Interview

Marketing Development Program
Hopkinton, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in November 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's career website and was contacted around October 2009 for my first phone interview. The phone interview went well and a few weeks later, I was invited to come to Hopkinton, which was in November 2009. The interview style was a round-robin, which is basically a series of 1:1 interviews. It was approximately 100 graduates/recent graduates there for the round robins. Most of the interviews were conducted in one large room where each person rotates to a different interviewer. I did 5- 20 minute interviews. Each interviewer ask different questions. Some interviewers asked basic behavioral questions, and some interviewers just wanted to know more about me and we even discussed personal interests. The ultimate goal of this interview process is to learn more about you and whether you will be a good cultural fit. My advice, although it sounds cliche', is to be yourself and let your personality come through. My other peice of advice is to thoroughly reserach the industry and ask thought-provoking questions as it relates to the company and the industry.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you lead a team   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Hardware Engineer
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EMC in May 2012.

Interview Details – The Manager gave an introduction about the group, and its interaction with other organizations within EMC. Two more 1:1 interviews about 40 minutes each. Questions mostly on the components of a storage system, ways to evaluate the performance etc. After 1:1 interviews, a short session with the Manager again who pointed out the next phases. No word about the salary till this point.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I received a verbal offer from the HR, next day of the interview. I asked him to give me a couple of days to think over it. He was a bit reluctant but then agreed. Called me again after 2 days. I suggested he increase the base salary by 5%. He came back after an hour and agreed to it. Note that the negotiations are more likely to succeed for higher level positions compared to entry level ones. The base salary may vary from one group to another as well.

Director Product Management Interview

Director Product Management
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EMC in April 2012.

Interview Details – Met with 4 employees. Each one were at different levels. Questions ranged from technical to business. Not very hard questions but, they were thorough.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situatoin where you had to overcome adversity?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told them what I was looking for and we negotiated somewhere in the middle. very happy with the package

Electrical Engineer Co-op Interview

Electrical Engineer Co-op
Hopkinton, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EMC in April 2012.

Interview Details – A quick advice to potential college interns: DO NOT take the college career fair for granted. If you are really serious about working for this company, you should do the following. Show that you're interested by interviewing the HR rep on the spot, don't wait for them to ask you questions. Don't be surprised if HR asks for an in-depth example of your teamwork experience, this is a corporate environment and you need to show that you'll play well with others. Lastly, don't be so robotic in your answers. During the interview process you'll probably get a friendly interviewer and very serious interviewer (I still think they did that on purpose to see how well I could deal with people with different personalities). Relax, maintain your posture, and talk just as if you were talking to your professor. FYI, you'll most likely be interviewed in an open area around other people.

Interview Questions

• what made you choose EMC?   View Answer
  • what makes you stand out from the crowd? (i think it was something similar to this).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Well their offer was competitive with others that i received, so there was no need to negotiate.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Associate Software Engineer
Hopkinton, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at EMC in April 2012.

Interview Details – 1. LCS algorithm, find the longest sequence from string
Eg: Find the longest sequence in String "abcdefaaaghijklaaamnopqrst" that comes after "aaa"
2. Design Interview process
3. JDBC connectivity
4. foo(number) should give 1_2_number
with highest performance and least memory usage
5. Explain SAN
why to use different server than just one in model (from MVC architecture)
6. How/where to use restlet services for client server architecture
how I can transfer data from one Host (client with one OS) to server (with some other OS)
8. wht is wrong in : String s = null ;
9. If System.exit () is use in one Java code and 2 programs are running on same JVM, what will happen
10. Brain Teasers

Interview Question – Brain Teaser:
three lamps in the room and three switches outside the room and can go into room only once
  Answer Question

Marketing Rotation Program Interview

Marketing Rotation Program
Hopkinton, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at EMC in January 2012.

Interview Details – First round was at a job fair with an HR rep. I subsequently had a few phone interviews with higher-up HR reps and a manager over the rotational program. Final rounds were held in Hopkinton, round-robin style where I rotated between 5 different senior-level managers, 20-minutes each.

The whole process was pleasant and everyone was great to work with but it was a very long process. The first interview was in October and I didn't get an offer until February.

Interview Question – Prepare answers to behavioral questions. Interview wasn't very technical but genuine passion for and knowledge of EMC and their solutions will definitely help.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Because multiple candidates come in at the same time/same position, offer was non-negotiable.

Interviews for Top Jobs at EMC