EMC

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied through college or university and interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – There were two rounds of interviews for their Finance Training Program internship. The first interview was a one-on-one interview for 30 minutes. EMC came to my campus for that. Next, you moved on to the next round which is four back to back interviews at their headquarters in Hopkinton, MA.

Interview Question – One hiring manager in the second round ask me what I would do in a specific situation and even drew a picture to enhance her question.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in October 2010.

Interview Details – I received an e-mail from an EMC recruiter who felt my resume was a good match for a finance position. We set up a phone interview in which she gushed over how attractive my resume would likely be to EMC and even if this one role didn't work out, there would definitely be others available.

It only a took a day or so for HR to set up the interview with three managers right after each other 1:1.

The interviews went ok, but I got a sense most of the manager didn't take my application all that seriously because I didn't have a solid finance background. The first manager seemed more like he was trying to act as a career coach - trying to see if he good give me some job search advice - rather than as an interviewer.

The second manager spent more time talking about the role, but seemed pretty detached from the discussion. The third person with whom I spoke (who I believe was the most senior of the three) at first seemed a bit "hostile" but eventually warmed up a bit and assured me that my basic technical background was fine even if I didn't have some of the specific skills for which they were looking.

Because I wasn't a great fit for the job, I wasn't that surprised that I didn't get an offer, but I was disappointed that I didn't get any followup despite the fact the recruiter and the managers said HR would be in touch with me after the interviews.

Nobody ever told me that they had decided on another candidate or offered to set up any interviews with other departments. I even e-mailed the recruiter and received no response. I e-mailed "thank you's" to the manager, but decide against seeking followups with them directly.

Overall, the interview process was efficient - if a bit cold - but the false expectations and no followup (despite the statements that suggested one would be forthcoming) seemed unnecessary.

Interview Question – Are you familiar with [computer system, software tool, accounting procedure]?   Answer Question

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!