EMC Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at EMC.

I applied online through the company's website after seeing a post on indeed. I was contacted 4 days later by the Recruiting Manager. We had about a 15 minute chat about my experience and the hiring department where the developer position would be supporting. He arranged an interview with the hiring manager for later that day.

I had an 30 minute interview with the hiring manager. It was the basic "tell me about yourself" and some questions to determine your decision making thought of mind.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an challenging project and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Technology Solutions Program Manager Interview

interviewed at EMC in January 2011.

Interview process was relatively simple, met with hiring director. Then a phone interview with a staff member and job offer was extended. A simple process all in all.

Senior Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Applied online and recruiter setup phone interview with hiring manager the same day. After a brief technical screening over the phone with the hiring manager I was brought on-site for interviews with a few senior and principal level test engineers, as well as management. This included a brief chat on the phone with senior management from Irvine. The whole process lasted two to three hours at most. I sensed a good culture and working environment, and was genuinely interested in the technologies being developed at this field office - ranging from from low level storage technologies, which are very abundant in this particular market, to more unique enterprise visualization technologies.

Interview Questions
    • What are the challenges with backing up data in virtual environments?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about data de-duplication for backups, how does it work?   Answer Question
    • How well do you know Linux/Bash/C/Java? Sketching out and reviewing code snippets. Coming up with solutions to various tasks like monitoring memory usage.   Answer Question
    Received a good offer from the recruiter with forms for references, background check and drug screening within a couple days of the on-site interviews. They moved very quickly in comparison with other companies I was interviewing with or had interviewed with recently, which was very refreshing.

CollegeStudent Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at EMC in February 2014.

I was first contacted at my college career fair and I made great conversation with one of the representatives who then decided to take two of my resumes and put one in a general application pool and the other in his departments own application pool. I contacted them the next day to make sure they got my application after applying online and to show initiative. I had a phone interview not too long after this maybe 2-3 weeks later while maintaining contact with the company. The phone interview was the only interview I had and in this they just wanted to know my interests and to get a more detailed look into what I do and why. I was told that they were going to move forward with other candidates so I asked the manager what I could improve on in my interview or skills and he said I was great in everything except talking about what I knew about EMC. I was contacted several months later and was asked if I was still interested in the job so I accepted the position and I feel very lucky to have been given the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure to do your research on a company it really pays off to do a simple google search and try to get an understanding of their products or what they do.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate anything I felt that the pay was more than fare for a college intern, and the vacation days were nice.

Dispatch/Scheduling Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Draper, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I interviewed online - interviewed at EMC in August 2014.

Recruiter contacted after a week to schedule a phone interview. Called right on the dot, asked regular questions. passed to the on site interview. Manager who was interviewing was 20 minutes late, very unorganized.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very basic. Asked about how do you deal with stress, Where do you see yourself in 5 years etc.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Setting up the interviews didn't take too long. Had a phone screen and then an interview with the hiring manager. However, they never got back to me when they said they would.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hopkinton, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at EMC in July 2014.

Applied online. Received call from HR within a day. He yawned in my ear for the entire call and apparently thought that was okay. Was a bit rude as well. After a few standard questions, went straight to salary requirements. This Sr. position salary was $6K lower than my previous job which was not sr. level. He said he would check on bonus or any other way to match that and get back to me the next day. I never heard from him again. Sent a follow up email a week later but he didn't have the courtesy to answer it.

Very disappointing experience with this company that allegedly has such a great reputation. Imagine listening to someone yawning in your ear during an interview!

Interview Questions
    • Out of the gate wanted to talk about salary and not much more.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Draper, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in March 2012.

EMC is more worried about soft skills in the interview rather than technical expertise. The better your expertise the better the salary and position. However, without the soft skills you will not work here. I was picked up by an internal EMC recruiter then contacted by her for a 1:1 interview. She met me and walked me in to a 2:1 session. Afterwards I was asked to come back in for a final interview. It was to be 2:1 again but the person opt'd to go 1:1.

Interview Questions
    • Most positions require RAID, networking, enterprise storage knowledge. They will ask you how much you know about EMC. They like it if you know their history a little bit.   View Answer
    They sent an email (pdf) with the offer in which I had so long to reply.

Storage Engineer Interview

one phone interview with an engineer

one phone interview with a manager

one onsite interview with a group of engineer and the manager

everyone is polite.

Not every technical.

5-10 technical questions.

1 programming question, very basic.

I was not an expert in storage technology and did not get an offer.

Customer Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at EMC in April 2010.

Slow to interview..long process. Once I got interviewed it took way to long to get an interview and then to make a decision. The interview was about average, and felt that it was very fair. I like working with this company, but you work your butt off.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation...take it or leave it.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!