EMC

Very Easy Interview

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received call from HR within a day. He yawned in my ear for the entire call and apparently thought that was okay. Was a bit rude as well. After a few standard questions, went straight to salary requirements. This Sr. position salary was $6K lower than my previous job which was not sr. level. He said he would check on bonus or any other way to match that and get back to me the next day. I never heard from him again. Sent a follow up email a week later but he didn't have the courtesy to answer it.

Very disappointing experience with this company that allegedly has such a great reputation. Imagine listening to someone yawning in your ear during an interview!

Interview Question – Out of the gate wanted to talk about salary and not much more.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer I Interview

Technical Support Engineer I
Draper, UT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in March 2012.

Interview Details – EMC is more worried about soft skills in the interview rather than technical expertise. The better your expertise the better the salary and position. However, without the soft skills you will not work here. I was picked up by an internal EMC recruiter then contacted by her for a 1:1 interview. She met me and walked me in to a 2:1 session. Afterwards I was asked to come back in for a final interview. It was to be 2:1 again but the person opt'd to go 1:1.

Interview Question – Most positions require RAID, networking, enterprise storage knowledge. They will ask you how much you know about EMC. They like it if you know their history a little bit.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They sent an email (pdf) with the offer in which I had so long to reply.

Storage Engineer Interview

Storage Engineer

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details – one phone interview with an engineer

one phone interview with a manager

one onsite interview with a group of engineer and the manager

everyone is polite.

Not every technical.

5-10 technical questions.

1 programming question, very basic.

I was not an expert in storage technology and did not get an offer.

Interview Question – re-describe an engineering solution after heard it   Answer Question

Customer Engineer Interview

Customer Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at EMC in April 2010.

Interview Details – Slow to interview..long process. Once I got interviewed it took way to long to get an interview and then to make a decision. The interview was about average, and felt that it was very fair. I like working with this company, but you work your butt off.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for EMC?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation...take it or leave it.

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in June 2013.

Interview Details – It was a long process from application to offer (about 3 months). Expect to have 4 phone interviews and 1 in-person interview with 3-4 people. Way to political... no one wants to make a decision without vetting it with a commitee.

Interview Question – Many managers at EMC are "Lifers" meaning they have been with the company for 15+ years and they look with skepticism on people who have worked for more than 2-3 companies in their career. It is most difficult to explain to them why you haven't been with the same employer for 10+ years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate a little for salary, stock and vacation time.

Princ Program Manager Interview

Princ Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Long process, in my instance. I can take months from the time you interview until the time yo get the position.
Stuck me in a room while they paraded several people to talk to me

Interview Question – What is one of your major faults   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Pre-Check Engineer Interview

Pre-Check Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at EMC in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a third-party recruiter. He found my resume and profile on Monster.com. I was contacted by a Supervisor for a phone interview. He wanted to know about my skills, my goals, and what I wanted in an employer. I answered him honestly, and a few weeks later, they called me in for an in-person interview. The interview lasted 40-45 minutes. They tested my proficiency (reading, writing, and speaking) with Spanish as my second language. They tested my critical thinking and problem solving skills.They tested my communication skills. Two weeks later, I was offered a position as a contractor with a possibility of being hired Full-Time in the future, after proving great performance in my job responsibilities.

Interview Question – I was handed a piece of paper with three questions in Spanish and asked to writing my answers down to be reviewed by a Spanish speaking-employee. Each question required a paragraph for a thorough answer. The unexpected part was that my two interviewers sat silently for most of the time that I was writing, then started having a normal conversation, and when I tried to participate in the conversation (while writing) I was told jokingly that "this was a test to see if you can pay attention to the task at hand." To this day I'm not sure if that was a real test, but I've had the job for 9 months now, so I assume that I didn't completely fail. Just a little odd.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told that a wage would be negotiated with my recruiter (as I was initially a contractor) and that I would be expected to work a 40 hour work week during normal business hours of 6AM-6PM. Later I was able to request a shift of 7AM-3PM, but I was unable to negotiate my wage until I was offered full-time employment.

Associate Financial Analyst Interview

Associate Financial Analyst
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EMC in November 2013.

Interview Details – Met two recruiters at school career fair. 4 interview events total- 1 at the career fair, 2 after driving to an office location (1 in-person and 1 on phone, 30-45 min each), 7 speed-dating style interviews at their headquarters in a room of over 30 people (30-35 min each- pretty exhausting, but everyone was friendly and they kept us hydrated/fed), then one follow-up phone interview (30 mins).

Interview Question – -Some stats you should know if you've done research on the company before going in for the interview: CEO, market cap., P/E, share price, etc.
-What makes you qualified for this program and position?
-Give me an example of how you know how to problem-solve.
-Give me an example of real work experience you've had working in finance. What were you trying to achieve in that project?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase at all.

Cloud Software Engineer Interview

Cloud Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EMC in May 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through their official network. They did a very quick review and contacted me within one week. Two phone interviews from different groups. One interview is basically about your experience written on your resume and another one is a technical interview. Sometimes they expected more than what the job description required and be prepared.

Interview Question – Python: If you have a lot of functions and you want to measure the running time of each function, what method you can use such that you do not need to add start&end time in each function?
Operating System: what is the main difference between spin lock and mutex?
  View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

Service Account Manager Interview

Service Account Manager
Phila, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – It was many years ago when EMC was a few hundred people. I interviewed with two managers and was hired the next day. They didn't seem too concerned about whether I would cut it or not. They also hired another 20 guys, across the U.S. the same month. About 50% were gone 3 months later, by their own choice. It was a very hard company to work for then, If you didn't like the travel, all nighters, weekends, being called out of bed for a service call, you didn't make it.

Interview Question – When can you start?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer and acceptance. They offered a 20% raise from my previous job and I was 23. I said yes.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!