EMC Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015
Updated Mar 27, 2015

Principal Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at EMC.

Phone interview with a lady who seemed to be a novice at interviewing. It seemed like she was on the call to show how she was smarter that the candidate she was interviewing. I hate it when interviewers start using interviews as a platform to show off rather than trying to understand if the candidate brings any value to the team.

Some really tricky find the bug in the code kind of questions and questions around system security and encryption. The position for which I had applied did not mention system security experience as a requirement and I clarified that I had no past experience working on system security. Despite that she kept on asking me questions related to it and I could only give high level answers.

Never heard back on the interview feedback. Wasn't expecting to hear anyways. In fact, at one point I wanted to say goodbye on the call since it didn't seem to be going anywhere.

Interview Questions
    • What are the different ways to ensure that the message sent on the network is secure?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at EMC.

Very long (over 5 months), poorly coordinated interview process by both Recruiting team and interviewing team. No follow up from Recruiting team unless asked. I did not feel the company treated candidates with much respect. The system used for applications submissions is hard to navigate and outdated. Interviews are typical 30-45 min conversations.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions about relevant exprience and skills, as well as behavioral questions about difficult situations.   Answer Question

Finance TrainingProgram Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EMC.

Turned in my resume to emc employees during internship fair that was hosted by my school career center, and I had a very nice talk with both of them. They told me that they are going to turn in my resume to the HRs, and they will contact me if I was chosen. The recruiter emailed me after a week, and set up an interview with me. After interview, I got another phone interview from another recruiter. After the second round, I waited about 2 weeks, and they called me to offer me the internship.

Interview Questions
    I'm grateful that they offered me an internship, so I didn't negotiation anything

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at EMC in March 2015.

Human Resources sets up interview with manager. Phone Interview about 30 minutes. The interview was very comfortable and conversational. EMC made an offer within a couple of days. They gave me two days to accept or decline the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Asked overview technical questions based on my resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EMC.

Applied at a career fair. Had an on- campus interview. After two weeks, got a call from HR, who scheduled for an interview with the manager. After, phone interview with the manager, had two more technical phone screens.

MDP Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EMC.

On campus interview and then in the office! In the office was overwhelming as it was with all other top applicants, but was great because you talking with a variety of employees.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral experiences and how you would handle things there.   Answer Question

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at EMC.

Brief interview during campus career fair followed by mass onsite interview followed by interview with specific team. After completing 3 rounds of interviews, I got a verbal offer but it took almost 9 months before the written offer was extended. In the interim, the position was put on/off hold several times so it was a bit frustrating. EMC was the first place I interviewed and the last place I heard back from, only after I had other offers to consider.

Consultant Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EMC in February 2015.

This hiring process was horrible. They have no idea what they are doing. I was submitted internally. I talked to the hiring manager with in hrs of the submission. He never contacted his recruiter until the very end. I would meet with 1 person a week for like a month. I then get a call that they will be extending an offer. In the mean time (without my knowning) they continued interviewing internal candidates. After wasting a month going through the process with them and a week waiting for an offer, they gave the job to an internal candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Design a thread lock system using 2 threads and a 2 element array. There are no built in thread lock functions (mutex, etc). All you are guaranteed is that when a write to memory happens from both threads 1 value will get written whole. The memory will not be mutilated.   Answer Question
    • Various C++ questions, which was weird because the product uses C   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EMC.

There were two different interviews with the second round being speed-dating style on site, and the first being a 1:1 interview on campus. Mainly just behavioral questions and questions on resume. Nothing too tricky. The interviews were very conversational and not as structured as usual, which was a breath of fresh air.

No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at EMC.

operating system / networking related questions. grilling interview. answered all the questions. oo, UML related also. overall the process was smooth, contacted by HR first and then contacted by the interviewer. very good hr.