EMC

407 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Engineer Interview

Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in June 2011.

Interview Details – I had 3 interviews, 2 with the hiring manager, and an informal interview with the team I was going to be working with. Focus of the interview was on Customer service and problem solving. Remember, solving a problem does not have to be complex.

Interview Question – What would be my legacy. Some people do not even have a 5 year plan talk more of legacy. Have a 5, 10, 18, 25, retirement and legacy plan.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes but don't get stuck on the base pay because you get tuition reimbursement and mileage reimbursement.

Technical Support Engineer II Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EMC in March 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted quickly after applying. Two to three or possibly more interviews depending on technical complexity of the product. Mix of technical and managerial interview scenarios, many or all conducted same day. Traditional company environment, so dress to impress.

Interview Question – Why do backups take twice as long to complete.   Answer Question

Field Support Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Hiring manager didn't seem interested at all being at work the day of the interview. Met with me and told me to wait. Disappeared for 10 minutes and then came back to get me. Interview had mixed feelings. Couldn't tell how it went really. Came of as they already picked someone for the job and felt obligated to interview me. Had not had any communication until after a few emaila about the position. Didn't get it but would have been nice to have known.

Software Engineer Interview

Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EMC in April 2013.

Interview Details – Had two phone interviews. First one was an initial HR round followed by an interview with a Senior Software Engineer to assess interest and expertise in various areas. This was folllowed by 6 rounds of onsite interview at the RTP facility.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – The process was a normal one. I interviewed with who would be my colleagues and my manager. The process took approximately 4 weeks from beginning to end. Once I got hired, it took about another month before I got my computer, phone and got on to the system. Training was done virtually with more onsite throughout the year.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, it was just around what the job entailed and my background. More of a get to know you interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They try to say that they can only give you 10% over your salary but that is not true. We went back and 4th a few times and they finally came up to my number.

College Student Inern Interview

Durham, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EMC in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted because I had my resume on the University Job Postings site by a manager at EMC. From there we e-mailed back and fourth until we set up an interview date. I kept in contact with him for a few months after and eventually an offer was extended.

Interview Question – Reverse a Linked List.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume, I had an initial screening with recruiter. I met the profile from experiential and compensation perspective. I was passed to the hiring manager of the first interview and was told it would be 3 phases. Recruiter and hiring manager was phase 1. Phase 2 involved 3 other managers that were peers to the hiring manager. Third phase I was passed to 4 managers senior to the hiring manager with one of them being face to face. Of all the interviews, only one required face to face.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for EMC?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – One call to agree.

Software Quality Engineer Interview

I interviewed at EMC in August 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through an internal contact and got a call within a couple of days. I went in for a 3 hour interview with 6 team members.

Interview Question – Technical questions were basic C programming questions.   Answer Question

Manager, Software Engineering Interview

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in May 2012.

Interview Details – 3 phone interviews, followed up by a day of on-site interviews, then another hour long follow up. Interview was with hiring manager, team lead, three technical interviews, and architect. Generally friendly folks, but a very intense process. I counted up all of the time spent, and I think I talked with folks for somewhere between 10 and 12 hours total.

Interview Question – They will focus on your technical chops, even as a manager. Definitely want to know how you handle difficult situations and what your vision for the product would be.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on vacation -- two weeks to start, with an added week in year 2 if you have more than 10 years of experience. You can argue for movement on the base / bonus, but they are pretty competitive. Bonus might be pitched as a "sure thing", and largely it is, but you can lose up to 10% of bonus if the company is not performing well, and an additional 10% if your business unit misses some goals. If you are missing portions of your bonus as a result of your performance, you should worry about being let go.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Pleasant Grove, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was attempting to relocate, so I had a series of phone interviews before being brought on site. Fairly standard process and I was pleased with the effort to bring me out. However, the job I interviewed for was not the one I had spoken to them about. This was stressful because my preparation missed the mark in some areas. I spoke to the HR recruiter at the end of an all day interview process. A week later they asked to bring me back out again. Since I was serious about relocating this gave me the opportunity to view more of the area and I agreed. I met with another 5-6 people. All expenses were paid and it was a good experience. They people I liked. The confusion about the position was not a good sign, but I pressed on.

Interview Question – Question about handling competing 'P1' priorities. I find these difficult because I don't believe you can answer that without being entrenched in the business objectives, deep knowledge of the product, or the history of the customers affected. I don't think I gave a good specific answer to their question, but I talked through all the above mentioned items.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were stubborn in areas and I was stubborn in others. Eventually we compromised and I was happy with the package.

Interviews for Top Jobs at EMC

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!

EMC Videos

EMC – Why Work for Us?

A passion for learning, innovating and success EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ITaaS). Fundamental to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMC interview questions and advice. All 407 interview reviews posted anonymously by EMC employees and interview candidates.