EMC

Updated Aug 14, 2014

Average Difficulty
469 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Storage Operations, Senior Storage Operations and Storage Solutions Architects Interview

Storage Operations, Senior Storage Operations and Storage Solutions Architects

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at EMC in April 2011.

Interview Details – EMC had been posting a position on their portal for a storage operations specialist in the New England area for nine months, and I kept applying through their portal. They reposted the same exact same position approximately six times over the nine month period, and I applied approximately four times. I felt I was very well qualified for this position and was frustrated that they would not contact me for even a phone interview when it was rather obvious the position had not been filled.

A few weeks ago I was contacted by an EMC recruiter who found my resume in their system. He said he was NOT notified via the web portal. This tells me their web portal either does not work, or someone at EMC really doesn’t like me.

I had two phone interviews with the EMC recruiter discussing the basics of the position and salary. The position was a residency position at an EMC customer site in the New England area for anywhere from 3mo to 12mo (then I’d get moved to a different EMC customer). Depending on the customer location, this would likely entail spending four nights a week in a hotel. The recruiter said there would be at least five interviews in total – two with him, one technical interview, then an interview with a senior storage residence person, and finally an interview with the manager I would be reporting to.

On my second interview the recruiter said the position would pay between 110k and 120k ($US). This interview was on a Friday afternoon. We scheduled the tech interview for Monday at 6pm. I spent all weekend reviewing my many EMC training documents, some as old as 2002. The technical interview was to cover the following areas –

Symm/Powerpath/DMX
SanCopy/Snapview
Switches
General SAN/NAS
General Unix/Windows

However, what the recruiter neglected to tell me was that the technical interview was, essentially, a certification test. Only harder, ***because it wasn’t multiple choice***. I kid you not. It was incredibly difficult. I did not expect this. I got flustered and had difficulty breathing. Nevertheless, I went through the test. Many questions I had no idea about. Many (many) others I could have figured out in seconds while sitting at a console. And virtually everything else I could have figured out with 5-10minutes of research.

I am a highly skilled storage engineer. I have the ability to learn anything, and quickly. But no, right there on the phone, I didn’t have all the answers. To add insult to injury, the technical interview isn’t even conducted by EMC (let alone someone involved with the position you’re applying for).

After the interview, I got an email from the recruiter saying that I did well in my areas of expertise, but, strangely got every single one of the core competency areas wrong. Well, that **IS** strange! Because while I’ve never taken a general san training course (no need), and I certainly got several of those questions wrong, I **KNOW** I got some right. But there, again, is the huge disadvantage of taking a verbal certification test – who the hell knows what the interviewer was putting down for my answer? As I thought about a question, and talked about my experiences with the interviewer in the process of working through the answer, maybe he just got sick of listening to me and marked down the wrong answer. Again – who knows?

In total there were about 50 questions, 3-6 in each area. The entire technical interview lasted about one hour. It was hugely draining, a horrible experience, and I spent the next several days going over it in my head.

The recruiter emailed me late Tuesday to say I had missed all the core competency questions, and said it didn’t make any sense to him because I did well in other areas. He said he would get with the interviewer to get more information. This was a week and a half ago, and I haven’t heard from him since.

All in all, it was a horrible, horrible experience. Good luck to anyone applying for this position!

Interview Questions

• What does the DMX architecture look like?   View Answer
  • What is the maximum length of a multimode and singlemode fibre cable? What is BB credit, and how is it used? List and describe the various fiber cable connectors.   Answer Question
  • How do you set up snmp on a brocade switch?

(Three to four questions about command-line commands on cisco switches. I have no experience with these so missed them all and didn’t even remember what he was asking.)

(Some McData switch questions.)
      Answer Question
  • How do you add a disk to a volume group on HP-UX?   View Answers (2)
  • Can you convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk?   View Answers (4)

Engineering Interview

Engineering

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in August 2008.

Interview Details – Very technical oriented. Analytics. Hands-on questions. Programming skill questions, communication and personality questions.
Bsic and fundemantals of the work, back ground check questions. HR process

Interview Question – Link list puzzles   Answer Question

Core Technologist Interview

Core Technologist

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Panel review and presentation. Also mock client call

Interview Question – Mock client call was poorly set up and hard to execute   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Applied through the company website and got a call from a recruiter within a week. He asked some questions based on experience and Resume and scheduled an interview with the Hiring Manager. The recruiter had asked me the role was in Java, Distributed Computing and Multithreading.

Interview Question – The Hiring Manager asked a design implementation question which was in C. Totally unexpected and he wasn't even able to explain the question properly or I couldn't understand what he wanted to hear from me.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Takes months to get on board

Interview Question – What is FAST?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Extremely difficult. No negotiation.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Hopkinton, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in January 2009.

Interview Details – Good and was techincal.

Interview Question – All technical and projects related.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager
Hopkinton, MA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at EMC in June 2010.

Interview Details – EMC has a robust hiring and interview process. EMC is very consistent in their approach, its dogged, difficult and time consuming. EMC doesn't tolerate bad hires, and hiring managers often have gut feeling about a candidate but will confer with team or peers on their decision. Get ready for gang interviewing... you can spend the whole day at EMC and then be asked to dinner... HR is complete and professional, expect to be inspected and your references will be called.

Interview Question – Tell me about your sales approach to a client who has stated that they don't like EMC...   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Intern Interview

Senior Software Engineer Intern

I interviewed at EMC in May 2013.

Interview Details – First introduce to myself, and introduce the important project in my resume. Then interviewer asked me C++ Skills, and AVL tree, how to balance it. Also asked the Black red tree. basic term in parallel computing and multi-process programming

Interview Question – Red black tree part is unexpected   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Regional Sales Manager
Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Applied for the position based on an internal referral, 2 rounds of technical interview, hr interview

Interview Question – what made you consider leaving the earlier firm?   Answer Question

Sales Intern Interview

Sales Intern
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EMC in April 2013.

Interview Details – Got a screening interview with recruitment services.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone older than you to change their mind about something?   Answer Question

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!