EMC

Average Difficulty
455 candidate interviews

Customer Engineer Interview

Customer Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at EMC in April 2010.

Interview Details – Slow to interview..long process. Once I got interviewed it took way to long to get an interview and then to make a decision. The interview was about average, and felt that it was very fair. I like working with this company, but you work your butt off.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for EMC?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation...take it or leave it.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received call from HR within a day. He yawned in my ear for the entire call and apparently thought that was okay. Was a bit rude as well. After a few standard questions, went straight to salary requirements. This Sr. position salary was $6K lower than my previous job which was not sr. level. He said he would check on bonus or any other way to match that and get back to me the next day. I never heard from him again. Sent a follow up email a week later but he didn't have the courtesy to answer it.

Very disappointing experience with this company that allegedly has such a great reputation. Imagine listening to someone yawning in your ear during an interview!

Interview Question – Out of the gate wanted to talk about salary and not much more.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – no special comments interview is on captiva inputaccel the projects and how do we configure the Input accel and einput modules. interviewer asked questions regarding the multi module deleting nodes and their parameters

Negotiation Details – not good

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in June 2013.

Interview Details – It was a long process from application to offer (about 3 months). Expect to have 4 phone interviews and 1 in-person interview with 3-4 people. Way to political... no one wants to make a decision without vetting it with a commitee.

Interview Question – Many managers at EMC are "Lifers" meaning they have been with the company for 15+ years and they look with skepticism on people who have worked for more than 2-3 companies in their career. It is most difficult to explain to them why you haven't been with the same employer for 10+ years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate a little for salary, stock and vacation time.

Princ Program Manager Interview

Princ Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Long process, in my instance. I can take months from the time you interview until the time yo get the position.
Stuck me in a room while they paraded several people to talk to me

Interview Question – What is one of your major faults   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in May 2014.

Interview Details – Good Telephonic round followed by two technical rounds and one managerial round,one director round and one HR...till technical rounds it was fine but from director round it was pathetic that director started asking technical questions with out clarity on question if i ask doubt on question he was feeling un easy ant the recruiter behaviour was too bad no update on satus if i call he will disconnet....

Interview Questions

• Director round was supposed to be discussion on managerial stuff but unfortunately for me he started asking technical questions like how to give access to different roles with out checking with DB or LDAP   View Answer
  • Reverse a linked list in java,Synchronization in core java, what is thread.yield,Thread life cycle, Write custom split function in java, write a program to implement stack,write a program to implement deadlock etc...   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didnt like the mentality of the senior management and the way recruiter handles the individuals was so bad.

Principal Software Quality Engineer Interview

Principal Software Quality Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – It was a smooth process and had 5 round of interview on a same and one round of telephonic interview. Overall questions asked was good and technically sound. I was happy to answer those question. I have asked on on Storage and Virtualization technology. However interviewer were asked the intelligent questions.

Interview Question – I was surprised when i got a question how do you manage the team members.   Answer Question

Associate IT Generalist Interview

Associate IT Generalist
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EMC in June 2014.

Interview Details – This is for the IT leadership program.The many rounds it had was quite annoying since the package offered was mediocre. There was an online aptitude and technical test in our college.We were then shortlisted and called to their office.We had a technical and HR face to face interview.The candidates that were shortlisted were again called for an HR face to face interview. They told me that if i get a call and email I would be selected for the next round.Accordingly I got a call telling me i qualified to the next round and to come the next day.I even received a confirmation email.

When i went there the next day in the afternoon ,they tell me they interviewed a few more people on that day in the morning and since they were better I'm no longer a shortlisted candidate.But I realised this was a lie, because some of the people who interviewed on the same day as me got a call on the day of the interview in the afternoon asking them to come(just a few hours before the scheduled interview).How did they suddenly decide on the day of the interview that I who was already selected should be removed and someone who wasn't selected should take my place instead?

I felt very disappointed to be rejected after making 3 long distance travels and all the preparation for the interview.They should respect their commitment no matter what the reason. If the company treats its candidates with such insensitivity I wonder how the work environment there is. I'm happy I'm not in such a company.

Interview Question – How is binary data stored on the main memory?   Answer Question

Pre-Check Engineer Interview

Pre-Check Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at EMC in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a third-party recruiter. He found my resume and profile on Monster.com. I was contacted by a Supervisor for a phone interview. He wanted to know about my skills, my goals, and what I wanted in an employer. I answered him honestly, and a few weeks later, they called me in for an in-person interview. The interview lasted 40-45 minutes. They tested my proficiency (reading, writing, and speaking) with Spanish as my second language. They tested my critical thinking and problem solving skills.They tested my communication skills. Two weeks later, I was offered a position as a contractor with a possibility of being hired Full-Time in the future, after proving great performance in my job responsibilities.

Interview Question – I was handed a piece of paper with three questions in Spanish and asked to writing my answers down to be reviewed by a Spanish speaking-employee. Each question required a paragraph for a thorough answer. The unexpected part was that my two interviewers sat silently for most of the time that I was writing, then started having a normal conversation, and when I tried to participate in the conversation (while writing) I was told jokingly that "this was a test to see if you can pay attention to the task at hand." To this day I'm not sure if that was a real test, but I've had the job for 9 months now, so I assume that I didn't completely fail. Just a little odd.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told that a wage would be negotiated with my recruiter (as I was initially a contractor) and that I would be expected to work a 40 hour work week during normal business hours of 6AM-6PM. Later I was able to request a shift of 7AM-3PM, but I was unable to negotiate my wage until I was offered full-time employment.

Associate Financial Analyst Interview

Associate Financial Analyst
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EMC in November 2013.

Interview Details – Met two recruiters at school career fair. 4 interview events total- 1 at the career fair, 2 after driving to an office location (1 in-person and 1 on phone, 30-45 min each), 7 speed-dating style interviews at their headquarters in a room of over 30 people (30-35 min each- pretty exhausting, but everyone was friendly and they kept us hydrated/fed), then one follow-up phone interview (30 mins).

Interview Question – -Some stats you should know if you've done research on the company before going in for the interview: CEO, market cap., P/E, share price, etc.
-What makes you qualified for this program and position?
-Give me an example of how you know how to problem-solve.
-Give me an example of real work experience you've had working in finance. What were you trying to achieve in that project?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase at all.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!