EMC Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.9

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

The process was a normal one. I interviewed with who would be my colleagues and my manager. The process took approximately 4 weeks from beginning to end. Once I got hired, it took about another month before I got my computer, phone and got on to the system. Training was done virtually with more onsite throughout the year.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, it was just around what the job entailed and my background. More of a get to know you interview.   Answer Question
    They try to say that they can only give you 10% over your salary but that is not true. We went back and 4th a few times and they finally came up to my number.

College Student Inern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at EMC in October 2012.

I was initially contacted because I had my resume on the University Job Postings site by a manager at EMC. From there we e-mailed back and fourth until we set up an interview date. I kept in contact with him for a few months after and eventually an offer was extended.

I did not negotiate.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

After submitting my resume, I had an initial screening with recruiter. I met the profile from experiential and compensation perspective. I was passed to the hiring manager of the first interview and was told it would be 3 phases. Recruiter and hiring manager was phase 1. Phase 2 involved 3 other managers that were peers to the hiring manager. Third phase I was passed to 4 managers senior to the hiring manager with one of them being face to face. Of all the interviews, only one required face to face.

One call to agree.

Manager, Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in May 2012.

3 phone interviews, followed up by a day of on-site interviews, then another hour long follow up. Interview was with hiring manager, team lead, three technical interviews, and architect. Generally friendly folks, but a very intense process. I counted up all of the time spent, and I think I talked with folks for somewhere between 10 and 12 hours total.

Interview Questions
    • They will focus on your technical chops, even as a manager. Definitely want to know how you handle difficult situations and what your vision for the product would be.   Answer Question
    No negotiation on vacation -- two weeks to start, with an added week in year 2 if you have more than 10 years of experience. You can argue for movement on the base / bonus, but they are pretty competitive. Bonus might be pitched as a "sure thing", and largely it is, but you can lose up to 10% of bonus if the company is not performing well, and an additional 10% if your business unit misses some goals. If you are missing portions of your bonus as a result of your performance, you should worry about being let go.

Software Quality Engineer Interview

interviewed at EMC in August 2010.

Applied through an internal contact and got a call within a couple of days. I went in for a 3 hour interview with 6 team members.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions were basic C programming questions.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pleasant Grove, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasant Grove, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in June 2010.

I was attempting to relocate, so I had a series of phone interviews before being brought on site. Fairly standard process and I was pleased with the effort to bring me out. However, the job I interviewed for was not the one I had spoken to them about. This was stressful because my preparation missed the mark in some areas. I spoke to the HR recruiter at the end of an all day interview process. A week later they asked to bring me back out again. Since I was serious about relocating this gave me the opportunity to view more of the area and I agreed. I met with another 5-6 people. All expenses were paid and it was a good experience. They people I liked. The confusion about the position was not a good sign, but I pressed on.

Interview Questions
    • Question about handling competing 'P1' priorities. I find these difficult because I don't believe you can answer that without being entrenched in the business objectives, deep knowledge of the product, or the history of the customers affected. I don't think I gave a good specific answer to their question, but I talked through all the above mentioned items.   Answer Question
    They were stubborn in areas and I was stubborn in others. Eventually we compromised and I was happy with the package.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hopkinton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at EMC in March 2014.

Very thorough interview process. Interviewed with several team members. Interviewing with several people gives you a good idea of what is expected of you in the role.

Interview Questions
    Fair starting salary based on salary at prior company. All information you provide regarding employment dates, salary, position, etc. will be verified.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Draper, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

interviewed at EMC in March 2014.

One interview. 2 interviewers and a conference call with senior mgmt. 30-60 min. Got a call the next day.,

Interview Questions
    • What is the protocol that includes the three-way handshake called?   View Answer
    Not an option.

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hopkinton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at EMC in January 2010.

2 phone interviews 1 on site interview that lasted 3 hours. met with 3 managers then took a case study on process flows.

no negotiation

Customer Support Technician - MLS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Draper, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in February 2013.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter for this position. First step was a language assessment to test my skills for the needed language proficiency. Second step was the actual interview, which was very easy-going. No real difficuly questions, mostly conversation and a little talk on past experience.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficuly questions, mostly just conversation   Answer Question
    Able to neotiate a little bit on pay.