EMC

470 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume, I had an initial screening with recruiter. I met the profile from experiential and compensation perspective. I was passed to the hiring manager of the first interview and was told it would be 3 phases. Recruiter and hiring manager was phase 1. Phase 2 involved 3 other managers that were peers to the hiring manager. Third phase I was passed to 4 managers senior to the hiring manager with one of them being face to face. Of all the interviews, only one required face to face.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for EMC?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – One call to agree.

Manager, Software Engineering Interview

Manager, Software Engineering
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in May 2012.

Interview Details – 3 phone interviews, followed up by a day of on-site interviews, then another hour long follow up. Interview was with hiring manager, team lead, three technical interviews, and architect. Generally friendly folks, but a very intense process. I counted up all of the time spent, and I think I talked with folks for somewhere between 10 and 12 hours total.

Interview Question – They will focus on your technical chops, even as a manager. Definitely want to know how you handle difficult situations and what your vision for the product would be.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on vacation -- two weeks to start, with an added week in year 2 if you have more than 10 years of experience. You can argue for movement on the base / bonus, but they are pretty competitive. Bonus might be pitched as a "sure thing", and largely it is, but you can lose up to 10% of bonus if the company is not performing well, and an additional 10% if your business unit misses some goals. If you are missing portions of your bonus as a result of your performance, you should worry about being let go.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Pleasant Grove, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was attempting to relocate, so I had a series of phone interviews before being brought on site. Fairly standard process and I was pleased with the effort to bring me out. However, the job I interviewed for was not the one I had spoken to them about. This was stressful because my preparation missed the mark in some areas. I spoke to the HR recruiter at the end of an all day interview process. A week later they asked to bring me back out again. Since I was serious about relocating this gave me the opportunity to view more of the area and I agreed. I met with another 5-6 people. All expenses were paid and it was a good experience. They people I liked. The confusion about the position was not a good sign, but I pressed on.

Interview Question – Question about handling competing 'P1' priorities. I find these difficult because I don't believe you can answer that without being entrenched in the business objectives, deep knowledge of the product, or the history of the customers affected. I don't think I gave a good specific answer to their question, but I talked through all the above mentioned items.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were stubborn in areas and I was stubborn in others. Eventually we compromised and I was happy with the package.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at EMC in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview process. Interviewed with several team members. Interviewing with several people gives you a good idea of what is expected of you in the role.

Interview Question – What is your passion?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fair starting salary based on salary at prior company. All information you provide regarding employment dates, salary, position, etc. will be verified.

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Software Quality Engineer

I interviewed at EMC in August 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through an internal contact and got a call within a couple of days. I went in for a 3 hour interview with 6 team members.

Interview Question – Technical questions were basic C programming questions.   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Business Consultant
Hopkinton, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EMC in January 2010.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews 1 on site interview that lasted 3 hours. met with 3 managers then took a case study on process flows.

Interview Question – map a process flow   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer
Draper, UT

I interviewed at EMC in March 2014.

Interview Details – One interview. 2 interviewers and a conference call with senior mgmt. 30-60 min. Got a call the next day.,

Interview Question – What is the protocol that includes the three-way handshake called?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not an option.

Customer Support Technician - MLS Interview

Customer Support Technician - MLS
Draper, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in February 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter for this position. First step was a language assessment to test my skills for the needed language proficiency. Second step was the actual interview, which was very easy-going. No real difficuly questions, mostly conversation and a little talk on past experience.

Interview Question – There were no difficuly questions, mostly just conversation   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to neotiate a little bit on pay.

Technical Support Engineer II Interview

Technical Support Engineer II
Duluth, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at EMC in June 2010.

Interview Details – Group interviews. 3 parts. The first was just Over all questions to get a feel for your personality. The next was to gauge your technical experience. The third was to see how you would fit with the products. At no time did they specify or interview for any particular product. Then there was 3 month training to teach you all products. At no time did they ever ask which products you would be interested in or feel comfortable with. They test your knowledge, then assign you to a product.

Interview Question – Don't remember any that stood out   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – I was referred to the company via my network reaching out to the retained recruiter. The process, stalled at first, went very quickly to the offer. The process started with the recruiter then hiring manager, and finally with the Division Manager. My recommendation is to use your network to help you coach you on what is important to the company and the interviewer's style.

Interview Question – Noting unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Understand what you would consider acceptable and consider countering the offer if appropriate.