EMC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in March 2013.

Interview Details – Spoke with recruiter, provided data in online system, scheduled a face to face interview, met with manager and VP, then no word for several weeks, just kept in the dark. Never did get a straight answer. The position was perfect for my skill set, I had the necessary connections and rolodex, as well as all the technical background, etc. I can only think the downturn in the government spending put in a hiring freeze, but they just didn't communicate anything well.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Software Engineer Intern Interview

Senior Software Engineer Intern

I interviewed at EMC in May 2013.

Interview Details – First introduce to myself, and introduce the important project in my resume. Then interviewer asked me C++ Skills, and AVL tree, how to balance it. Also asked the Black red tree. basic term in parallel computing and multi-process programming

Interview Question – Red black tree part is unexpected   Answer Question

Consultant Software Engineer Interview

Consultant Software Engineer
Hopkinton, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EMC in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a member of EMC HR, I had not applied for any job.
I went through two rounds of interviews, about a week apart. Each time I interviewed with 3-4 people.
The questions were mostly technical and I was expected to use the whiteboard to explain some concepts and systems I'd worked on in the past.

It took them about a month after interviewing me to give me an offer. After I received that I was required to take a urine drug test. That wasn't an issue for me, but it's the first time in 30 years I've ever had to do this.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. The normal challenging ones: what were my weaknesses; what was a challenging situation I encountered and how did I handle it. I had prepared some general responses so I didn't flounder when asked. The interviewers were all reasonable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried negotiating for more vacation time (I'm a very senior engineer with a lot of experience). But no luck. After joining I heard the the HR rep I dealt with was not very good.

IT Leadership Program Interview

IT Leadership Program
Hopkinton, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EMC in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview with their recruiter. I was then invited for an on-site interview. It was a series of three interviewers, each interview was 20 minutes each. There were more than 20 other interviewees in the same room, having interviews at the same time. I was supposed to have three interviewers, but found out that I only was going to have two. Then last minute they decided to have someone random interview me, just for the sake of the interview.

Interview Question – I was expecting technical questions, or some kind of question allowing my knowledge to be displayed. There were very few of these. The most unexpected question I had was the first question of my second interviewer, who asked me "If I came up to you in a bar and asked 'What's your story?', what would you say?"   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details – I did not go through an interview or hiring process. I came to EMC by way of an acquisition. I did speak with a few HR resources as we got going, after we were purchased, but nothing formal like a sit down interview with questions.

Intern Interview

Intern
Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Met an employee at a showcase, had my resume forwarded to his manager. The interview process was with 3 team leads and the head QA manager. Each 30 min interview just drilled down my resume and only one technical question because we ran out of things to talk about. It seemed like as long as you can get one team lead to like you then you'd get the go ahead. All interns also start in QA apparently.

Interview Question – Swap the elements of an array in place   Answer Question

Principal Program Manager Interview

Principal Program Manager

I applied online and interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Applied for position in Jan 2013, had phone screen by hiring manager in March, called in for in-person interviews within a week after phone interview. Met with Principal Engineers, other Program Managers and Hiring Manager. The interview focused on my past experience, current work and scenario analysis as applicable to Program Management. Two days after that in-person, I was asked to meet with Group Director and hiring manager again. 3 days after this meeting, I was made an offer. After the offer, the actual employment forms and verification etc took more than a month to complete.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Be prepared to explain everything on your resume. Focus on behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Team Lead

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview, and then I went in for an in-person interview. I was interviewed by a manager and then by the resources i would be supervising. The resources interviewed me in teams of 2.

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my salary.

Associate Financial Analyst Interview

Associate Financial Analyst
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in May 2012.

Interview Details – Relatively simple, only met with 2 managers. There were no case studies, problem-solving questions etc. Felt like more of a conversation than an interview.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions, just your typical STAR interview process inquiries.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Associate Customer Engineer Interview

Associate Customer Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in April 2012.

Interview Details – I contacted the head of the Global Services Associate Program at a Society of Hispanic and Professional Engineers Convention. Once i did that, I interviewed with the district managers of the region i would work under. Once that was done I went through the boot camp that the GSAP program offers.