EMC

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Principal Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in July 2011.

Interview Details – 1 round of interview for 7 hours as I came from out of town.

Interview Question – Very technical, and programming questions.   Answer Question

Hopkinton, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EMC in July 2009.

Interview Details – Interview with 4 to 6 engineers, sometimes 2 at a time in a conference room. Depending on the position, it takes awhile to get a response from the company. This can be expected though, since they interview numerous candidates. Bring a list of questions to ask and show interest in the position.

Interview Question – Technical questions on the subject matter expected, and don't lie.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Takes a while if big company.

Principal Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Interview with 4-6 team members and managers, sometimes individually for half an hour and sometimes a panel of 2-3. Questions are directed at understanding candidate experience and abilities, sometimes detailed. Expect some duplication of questions as each mini-interview may ask some of the same warm-up questions...

Interview Question – None really...   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Hopkinton, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in January 2009.

Interview Details – Good and was techincal.

Interview Question – All technical and projects related.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EMC in March 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter by email. Set up initial phone screen with hiring manager. The hiring manager asked me to pick a project from the resume which I find most exciting and explain it to him. Then, he asked a technical question to design data structure and algorithm to implement API's that interface between the user file system and the native file system.

Interview Question – Only design question. No coding.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in March 2012.

Interview Details – Initially there were phone screenings. A lot of time on the white board going through technical problems. There were multiple people that questioned me. Afterwards there was a lot of follow up to put together a job package that actually made sense for me.

I was recruited so I may have had a different treatment than others.

Interview Question – I was ask how to encode a tree structure in as few bits as possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It went on for about a month and I was brought back in to talk with more managers at my request.

Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EMC in February 2010.

Interview Details – 5 hours interview, 1-2 interview had manay technical questions.

Interview Question – Describe three most often used methods to resolve memory leaks?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary too low.

Louisville, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied to this opportunity from the EMC.com site and got a response within a day that they will like to schedule a telephonic interview. The telephonic interview was about my overall experience and the challenges faced in my previous work assignments. I got the response for a In Person interview within a week. The in-person interview was a series of interviews 45min each with 4 people including the hiring manager. The interviews were both technical and behavioral. I waited for a week and i got another response that they want to interview me again in Person to test me on some more Technical grounds. I went there and the interview was a group/panel interview which lasted for an hour. Finally, after a weeks time i got the schedule and procedure mail for Drug and Background Test, with the Offer.

Interview Questions

Bangalore (India)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Initially phone screen, then 4 engineers and a manager talked to me in Bangalore. After a week, 4 engineers from US talked to me. After 2-3 days I was told that they are in the process of offering me.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Principal Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – 1 telephonic, 3-4 technical , 2 manager rounds..Not worth for the pay they offer.you will finally be disappointed in offer.

Interview Question – Most of dumb questions by junk techies   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no joining bonus, no stocks,poor package..joined due to unavoidable case

Interviews for Top Jobs at EMC

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!

EMC Videos

EMC – Why Work for Us?

A passion for learning, innovating and success EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ITaaS). Fundamental to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMC Principal Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by EMC employees and interview candidates.