EMC Principal Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.4

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at EMC.

Interview

Phone interview with a lady who seemed to be a novice at interviewing. It seemed like she was on the call to show how she was smarter that the candidate she was interviewing. I hate it when interviewers start using interviews as a platform to show off rather than trying to understand if the candidate brings any value to the team. Some really tricky find the bug in the code kind of questions and questions around system security and encryption. The position for which I had applied did not mention system security experience as a requirement and I clarified that I had no past experience working on system security. Despite that she kept on asking me questions related to it and I could only give high level answers. Never heard back on the interview feedback. Wasn't expecting to hear anyways. In fact, at one point I wanted to say goodbye on the call since it didn't seem to be going anywhere.

Interview Questions

• What are the different ways to ensure that the message sent on the network is secure?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for EMC

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at EMC.

Interview

Telephone interview followed by direct face to face interview with the team. Presentation of past work. Exhibited tools I have worked with. Hiring Director was very knowledgeable and understood the details of past work.The position was in storage division and past experience was in security industry. Yet the emphasis was on looking at how my release engineering skills are valuable.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at EMC.

Interview

Interview with 4-6 team members and managers, sometimes individually for half an hour and sometimes a panel of 2-3. Questions are directed at understanding candidate experience and abilities, sometimes detailed. Expect some duplication of questions as each mini-interview may ask some of the same warm-up questions...

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at EMC (Seattle, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter by email. Set up initial phone screen with hiring manager. The hiring manager asked me to pick a project from the resume which I find most exciting and explain it to him. Then, he asked a technical question to design data structure and algorithm to implement API's that interface between the user file system and the native file system.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at EMC (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

Initially there were phone screenings. A lot of time on the white board going through technical problems. There were multiple people that questioned me. Afterwards there was a lot of follow up to put together a job package that actually made sense for me. I was recruited so I may have had a different treatment than others.

Interview Questions

• I was ask how to encode a tree structure in as few bits as possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It went on for about a month and I was brought back in to talk with more managers at my request.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EMC (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

Couple of interview sessions. First interviews with senior engineers and hiring manager. Senior engineers asked programming related questions and domain related questions. Hiring manager about the culture, working style and domain interests. The hiring process does take a long time taking to the offer level and looks typical for an established company.

Interview Questions

• C programming question of reversing a string array.   1 Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at EMC in July 2011.

Interview

1 round of interview for 7 hours as I came from out of town.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at EMC (Dallas, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed by two different people. The first person had me at a whiteboard working on an algorithm problem. I had to move all the 0s in the array to one end. The second person had me write a C++ class that represented a string on a pad of paper.

Interview Questions

• It was for a C++ position so the second person asked me basic C++ design questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EMC (Louisville, CO) in May 2010.

Interview

I applied to this opportunity from the EMC.com site and got a response within a day that they will like to schedule a telephonic interview. The telephonic interview was about my overall experience and the challenges faced in my previous work assignments. I got the response for a In Person interview within a week. The in-person interview was a series of interviews 45min each with 4 people including the hiring manager. The interviews were both technical and behavioral. I waited for a week and i got another response that they want to interview me again in Person to test me on some more Technical grounds. I went there and the interview was a group/panel interview which lasted for an hour. Finally, after a weeks time i got the schedule and procedure mail for Drug and Background Test, with the Offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at EMC (Boston, MA) in April 2010.

Interview

refer by a friends' friend, very quickly got a phone call from HR, after that I had 1 phone interview, then following with 4 rounds on-site technical interview.