EMC Principal Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.4

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Principal Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at EMC.

Interview with 4-6 team members and managers, sometimes individually for half an hour and sometimes a panel of 2-3. Questions are directed at understanding candidate experience and abilities, sometimes detailed. Expect some duplication of questions as each mini-interview may ask some of the same warm-up questions...

Other Interview Reviews for EMC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at EMC in March 2013.

Contacted by recruiter by email. Set up initial phone screen with hiring manager. The hiring manager asked me to pick a project from the resume which I find most exciting and explain it to him. Then, he asked a technical question to design data structure and algorithm to implement API's that interface between the user file system and the native file system.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at EMC in March 2012.

Initially there were phone screenings. A lot of time on the white board going through technical problems. There were multiple people that questioned me. Afterwards there was a lot of follow up to put together a job package that actually made sense for me.

I was recruited so I may have had a different treatment than others.

Interview Questions
    • I was ask how to encode a tree structure in as few bits as possible.   Answer Question
    It went on for about a month and I was brought back in to talk with more managers at my request.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC in July 2011.

1 round of interview for 7 hours as I came from out of town.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EMC in May 2010.

I applied to this opportunity from the EMC.com site and got a response within a day that they will like to schedule a telephonic interview. The telephonic interview was about my overall experience and the challenges faced in my previous work assignments. I got the response for a In Person interview within a week. The in-person interview was a series of interviews 45min each with 4 people including the hiring manager. The interviews were both technical and behavioral. I waited for a week and i got another response that they want to interview me again in Person to test me on some more Technical grounds. I went there and the interview was a group/panel interview which lasted for an hour. Finally, after a weeks time i got the schedule and procedure mail for Drug and Background Test, with the Offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at EMC in April 2010.

refer by a friends' friend, very quickly got a phone call from HR, after that I had 1 phone interview, then following with 4 rounds on-site technical interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at EMC in February 2010.

5 hours interview, 1-2 interview had manay technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe three most often used methods to resolve memory leaks?   View Answer

Salary too low.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EMC in July 2009.

Interview with 4 to 6 engineers, sometimes 2 at a time in a conference room. Depending on the position, it takes awhile to get a response from the company. This can be expected though, since they interview numerous candidates. Bring a list of questions to ask and show interest in the position.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions on the subject matter expected, and don't lie.   Answer Question
    Takes a while if big company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC in January 2009.

Good and was techincal.

Very easy

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EMC.

Initially phone screen, then 4 engineers and a manager talked to me in Bangalore. After a week, 4 engineers from US talked to me. After 2-3 days I was told that they are in the process of offering me.

No negotiation.